1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why EDC a watch????

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by snipes1027, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

There are several young men, and women, who wear wrist-watches at the medical institute I attend. All 18 and over, but certainly under 30. Once again, convenience is the issue. Why reach into a purse or pocket for your cellphone, when you can just tilt your wrist a tiny bit; and instantly know the time?

Yup, laziness has come full circle. Ha ha!

2. mfmendiola

mfmendiola Empty Pockets

using a wrist watch is very convenient for me and my line of work...

3. Mad_Maxx

Mad_Maxx Loaded Pockets

a man needs a watch on his wrist, I can't see myself without one
    cellphones are OK but the wrist watch is a dedicated "tool" and usually more precise too

Maxx

4. nuubee

nuubee Empty Pockets

I think that older wristwatches have a visual elegance that no cellphone, and very few modern watches - except for what are usually extremely expensive ones - can match. I don't wear jewelry, but I like wearing a watch. I can't really afford what a quality watch costs nowadays, but I am fortunate to have inherited a few from my father. I'm wearing his Wyler 3/4-size dial automatic-winder 'Dynawind' now. Especially here on the west coast, the concept of dressing with a modicum of elegance has been on the decline for some time now. A well-made watch has elegance. A vintage, well-made man's hat has elegance, as does a long wool coat, and dressy leather shoes. Most mechanical watches are not as accurate as a quartz crystal movement, nor as rugged as a Casio G-shock, but I prefer the understated nature of older mechanical wristwatches.

5. mta5888

mta5888 Loaded Pockets

first aid on a fallen a EDC-er, pulse rate and timer of interventions taken, meds(aspirin or whatever), tourniquet time applied, and so many other things. That's the first thing that comes to my mind

6. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

I canceled my T-mobile account partly because I can't take to the office with me. Might snap a picture of a box, oh nooooo..But mostly to save $$ to pay down debt faster, to have more $$ for EDC gear..

7. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

yup watch....with hands even. It's half past, a quarter till, and quarter past. The dumb looks begin...

8. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I once walked up to a token booth clerk (years before those useless creatures were replaced with Metro card vending machines) and asked her for a dozen tokens. She looked at me like I was crazy. Then when I told her "12," she laughed like a lunatic. Clearly not even realizing she was laughing at her own ignorance.

But here's another reason to wear a wrist watch . . . Even a cheap one will last longer than a cellphone. Ten years down the road, most young folks will have replaced their cellphones with the latest & greatest models to the point that they could have purchased a real Rolex.

One of the most reliable and durable watches I ever purchased was an analog Timex Expedition quartz. And this was AFTER an attempt to get a high-end watch that would last me many years down the road. One really good watch for several hundreds of dollars. The first two contenders were a couple of Victorinox models. Both were defective for different reasons. Both were returned to the different places I bought them from. The first had the glass over the face improperly attached. It looked fine from the outside, but wasn't water-resistant at all. The next one was an Aircrew model that was $450. Turns out, the case wasn't properly cut. When worn on the wrist, after more than 2 hours it started to cut off the circulation. Then came a kinetic-movement Hamilton that could keep time about as well as a woman could resist a 50% off sale at Bloomingdale's.

Then came the $55 Timex. Far better quality. And much less expensive than those three other supposedly better watches I purchased. $55 got me a reliable and durable watch. $55 is also a helluva lot less than the average young person will spend on one monthly cellphone bill. (I still have the Timex by the way.) Sad to say, I know teenagers who literally don't eat lunch because they're broke from paying off their monthly cellphone bills. All that money, and when all is said and done; they end up trading in their cellphones for the latest model. Thus having nothing to show for all that money they spent.

9. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

You are right on Monocrom...you might be my new oracle!!

10. Naurek

Naurek Empty Pockets

I don't wear one. I'm 30 if that matters. I used to—up until high school—just because all the clocks were broken/off there, then I realized I hated having that thing always on my wrist. It always got caught on things, if it had a leather strap it always got wet and smelled, plastic ones always broke, link ones... no way could I deal with the constant hair pulling, elasticized fabric looked too cheap/hippie.

For the past decade or so I assumed that people who wore one did it as a fashion statement, not as something practical. (Either that or they were old and just used to it or never considered another option.) :p I never thought too much into people needing it who have specific jobs though. If I needed to constantly note the time or have a hand free I might wear one again. If I'm out in the wilderness I generally don't want to know the time (I'd probably rather not know the day either!) and the setting of the sun dictates all.

I think it's worth noting that the young people don't generally buy cell phones just as a timepiece, so it's not really about the durability or replacement cost of the item vs a watch. To me it is about the ultimate condensing of my edc. I'm happy to ditch the camera, watch, laptop, address book, alarm clock, note pad, daily planner, mp3 player, compass, etc. and have them incorporated into one device (I realize the value of backups or better quality specialized items of course). When things stop working properly or don't fit in with my current situation it's time for me to upgrade. Other people may use all the extras for their job, and to some it's just a fashion statement and I imagine they upgrade their phones way sooner than I.

To me the time is just 'on there' and the time is the time.

11. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

I'll chime in. I didn't wear one for the longest time. I used to wear a nice analog Ironman, but a bike accident left some scars on my wrist. Recently though, I've gotten into the habit again. I have an inexpensive Casio Illuminator I picked up from Walmart for $14 and a super awesome LED watch from the 70's (made in the USA!) that I picked up from a flea market for a dollar. It's just more convenient than pulling my phone out. Did I mention the LED watch looks SUPER awesome?

12. mbs4298

mbs4298 Loaded Pockets

I haven't worn a watch in a long time, probably 10 years or more. I don't mind using my phone though. Being 23 I agree that the abundance of cell phones and other electronic devices deter younger people from wearing them.

But I really appreciate a fine watch. They are amazing pieces of craftsmanship. My boss is a watch collector and when you can see watches worth tens of thousands of dollars you really see that they are works of art.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

13. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I wish I was that intelligent. :)
    (I'd be rich as Hell.)

14. RichFish

RichFish Empty Pockets

I do currently wear a watch most of the time. Whilst it's very convenient, and saves me taking my phone out and unlocking it or activating it to see the time (touch screen phone means I'd have to take my gloves off as well), it also means I can check the time discreetly in some very boring meetings, and without taking my phone out in areas where I believe it has the potential to be snatched.

I had a period of about 5-years until a couple of years ago when I didn't wear a watch as I spent most of the time sat at a computer and my wrist spend most of the day on the desk and looking at the time on the computer. I'm 27 now and spend a lot of time going between sites and meetings so the watch is more practical. I also use hire cars and vans a bit so can rely on my watch rather than the in-car display.

Regards

Richard

15. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

Threads merged.

Reasons for watch carry mentioned thus far IIRC:
    -Work, school, sport, &/or hobby restrictions/needs.
    -Durability, battery life, weather resistance, cost, & ease of access Vs a cell phone.
    -Habit formed by Work, school, sport, military, &/or hobby restrictions/needs.
    -Style, craftsmanship, & etc.

16. yokomode

yokomode Empty Pockets

i personally think that it's actually quite an admirable aesthetic personal statement to wear an analog timepiece in this overtly digital age.

17. jcw122

jcw122 Loaded Pockets

I find it rude to use my phone to check the time while I'm speaking with someone. So I got a watch.

18. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

If you want to wear a bowler, go ahead! Be a trend setter!

19. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

Several years ago I was in a baseball card shop with my son. The store owner was a jr high math teacher. Somehow we had gotten on the subject of watches and he told me he was teaching his class about right angles. He asked the class what angle the clock hands were at when it was 3 o'clock. They looked at the class clock with digital display, the ones with watches looked at their digital watches. And then they gave him that look.

20. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

It's not a personal statement for me, it's a preference. My family will tell you that I am not, and have never been, a slave to fashion. Not even an indentured servant.