1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why EDC a watch????

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by snipes1027, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

If you're in an emergency situation, cell phones die but if you have a self winding or manual winding watch you won't have that problem. Being able to tell time may actually help you in a survival/ emergency situation if you want to conserve radio batteries but need to keep track of weather, you know what time to turn it on and listen to the weather news and you're not wasting your batteries. Also, you may need to time yourself to give yourself an idea of distance that you're walking each day. (I actually have a pedometer on my phone, but again, if you're out in the wilderness...cell phones die).
    There are other tactical uses for watches, but I've been out of the military awhile now and I've forgotten some of them, but you should learn them and make sure you have a manual or self winding watch in your BOB or EDC. It could come in quite handy.

Oh yeah..and if you've ever had to aid in a search and rescue, They may want everyone to check in at certain times.....or they may need to make announcements at certain times. I've actually been on one of those and at the time I didn't own a cell phone.

2. Ghillieman7

Ghillieman7 Empty Pockets

For me it is a matter of convenience, just as others have stated. Also, I NEVER take off my watch. Its an old habit that I just cant break, and yes I have broken many bands because of it.

3. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

because uncle sam demanded it - then it became a habit that I liked, got along fine without a phone for 30+ years...etc...
    that said...my kids won't wear one/don't want one for the reasons the OP stated.

as Ghillieman7 said. I never take my watches off. Uncle sam training again on that one.
    My bertucci A2T came off...lets see...well, the last time was when I posted a pic of it on this forum...months and months ago. lol!

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Loaded Pockets

This.
    Well I usually take it off when I'm home, but outside the front door, it's always on my wrist. Water-proofness and ABC-features are also something that my cellphone have yet to learn.

5. mpi

mpi Loaded Pockets

i don't have to charge my watch all the time!

6. seawolf69

seawolf69 Empty Pockets

Just like a couple of others who have replied to this thread, I enjoy wearing my watches. I also appreciate the workmanship and movements that go into them. Besides being an EDC item, watches are also accessories (even a status symbol for some). Anyway, it's much more convenient to glace at a watch on your wrist than to pick up your phone, turn it on, and look at the time. Moreover, the phone's not strapped to you like a watch is so you may not have it with you all the time.

And, you don't need to keep charging your watch like you do your phone, just a battery change every few years or never for a mechanical watch! :laugh:

And finally, you can't go swimming with a cell phone.

7. MM2000

MM2000 Empty Pockets

I remember back when pagers were a common thing and a lot of people would use them in place of a watch. Now it's phones and for people that never wore a watch or don't want to for whatever reason they don't have to. I have had countless watches over the last 35 years or so and always have one on my left wrist. Maybe it's a generational thing, anyone 20 or younger really can't remember a time without cellphones, but I sure can. Do you remember trying to find your friends in the '70s and '80s and all you could do was call their house and hope they were there or that somebody could tell you where they went?

I agree with all of the pro-watch posts that I've read here. I have 3 solar G-Shocks and while I wear one the other two are either in a window in the sunlight or under a lamp at night. They have been going strong for years and should continue to for a long time.

8. toasterburn

toasterburn Loaded Pockets

We live in an age where most products are cheap, void of style, and not built to last more then a couple of years if that (walk around an antique store and look at the craftmanship and artistry that went into most of the items there and then walk around in a walmart for a while).

Quality watches are one of the few modern products that still have class in my opinion, I enjoy wearing one and I like the fact that years from now I'll probably be wearing the same ones. There's no way that a disposable cell phone could give me the same feeling, and I'm sure reaching in my pocket every time I wanted to know the time would get irritating fast.

9. Nephiel

Nephiel Loaded Pockets

I started wearing a mechanical watch last fall, until summer came and it got too hot to wear it comfortably.
    It has a nylon strap... maybe a metal bracelet wouldn't be so hot.

10. apache119

apache119 Loaded Pockets

I wear a watch because it takes less than a second to check the time rather than pulling out my iPhone, pressing the home button, and reading the time in small print at the top.

11. toasterburn

toasterburn Loaded Pockets

I had the same problem. The metal bands are more comfortable as they are a tad loose and don't hold in heat.

12. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

For me a watch is the most convenient way of telling the time - it stays on my wrist where I know exactly where to find it, it is of a known accuracy and it is always with me, whether sitting on a bus, out on my bike or blobbing about the house in shorts and tshirt.

Sure a phone tells the time, but it just doesn't seem as useful to me. It is harder to get to, less subtle to look at, and I don't always have it on my person (do you tend to carry your phone when you go swimming?)

Plus wearing a watch just feels 'right' to me - I have had one on my wrist pretty much constantly since I was seven, so I am just so used to the feeling of wearing a watch that I feel naked (and late) if I don't have one on.

It also works as a fun hobby in exactly the same way looking at flashlights, knives or any other EDC gear does, and to me proves just as useful.

13. FreestyleAssassin

FreestyleAssassin Empty Pockets

Because I am addicted to knowing the hour and the minute 100X a day.

And my Blackberry sees enough draws from the holster in a day the way it is!

14. JMP

JMP Loaded Pockets

hate watches never carry wear them, they are annoying to me.

15. somber

somber Banned

Maybe it's just that you haven't found the one you like?

What is it about watches that are annoying to you?

16. faca

faca Loaded Pockets

hi I see the question in otherway do you really need to wear a watch?
    situations:
    driving car=check car watch
    at work=check PC clock or office wall clock or as you colegues
    in the street= check street clock or ask someone.
    at home = check any of watch you have there....
    cinema theatre church= wait to the end of event
    so for urban enveiroment you don´t need a watch but for outdoors perhaps yes and yes I wear a CASIO watch ;-) always evev sleeping

17. somber

somber Banned

Sorry... this does not compute with me in any way.

Why carry a knife? Do you really need to cut things? If so, there are plenty of items that are sharp items around you, even just a sharpened rock would do, or you could just ask someone that carries one. Shoot, why carry a cell phone, nearly everyone on the planet has one, you could just ask them, or carry around change for a pay phone. I could go on.

I choose to know the time always so I can better prepare and plan for things accordingly. My girlfriend is always late, and she never has a watch. I always have a watch, I can plan my events so that the chances of me being late are slim to none.

You carry a watch, how often do you pass up looking at the watch and instead hunt down a visible clock in your house/work? Probably never, plus I personally have terrible vision. It would be time consuming for me to have to walk around to find the time... Even then, how can you trust those are right?

Sorry, too many variables, too dependent on other people/things for me to feel comfortable.

18. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

The problem with all these clocks is that I have no idea of the accuracy of any of them, and I cannot always rely on them being available...
    I wear my watch and I know that if I am never normally going to be further than 10 seconds out from atomic time (~4 seconds a month accuracy, it gets reset every couple of months when the date needs sorted after it counts to 31 regardless of the month). At work for example there are a few clocks in various departments, none of which match accurately, same goes for any public clock that I cannot count on being accurate to any degree. Alongside that I cannot always count on having a clock available - at home rooms like my bathroom and garage don't have clocks as I just use my watch (as they are not places to have decorative clocks, and lack things like microwaves and dvd players that have them elsewhere), in public there are nowhere near enough clocks to use them reliably and having to regularly ask people goes against the whole concept of EDC for me.

Sure I could get by if needed... I don't really need atomic accuracy in day to day life, as there are very few events that run down to the second and don't give you any form of leeway, and yes, there is almost always some form of clock around be it on my dvd player, car dash, various wall clocks or signs in bus stops or train stations, so I could fairly easily get by without a watch, just to me it makes a lot more sense to carry one on my wrist in an unobtrusive and handy place. No different from the fact I could easily get around without a knife, and when I normally need a pen 90% of the time there is one to hand anyway, but that doesn't stop me carrying those items as standard to make my life easier...

Then again, if you are happy enough just using a cell phone or whatever and can get by, then fair play to you. My only complaint is if you are one of those people who are continually late because they never have the time handy and still insist that watches are useless...

19. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

wearing a watch give you the time with just a glimse of the eye. .and if you wear a big heavy watch its exercising you arm.....

20. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

Ease of use. When I want to know what time it is, I get a response from my wrist instantaneously. No digging around for a phone.

Same reason I carry a folder, even though I also have SAK. Its the fast deployment.