1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why EDC a jump drive??

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by tool amour, Aug 14, 2009.

1. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

At work, there are filters which block going to sites like Live Mesh, Skydrive, or Dropbox. I do not need my flash drive often, but when I do it is really my only option for larger projects.

2. Justinicus

Justinicus Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I have to be careful about using it, lest it get blackballed. We don't have very much bandwidth at work, so if I want to use it to move any sizeable files (like a new segment of my music collection), I have to time it to run overnight. I usually go ahead and pull the 8GB flash drive out for that, but for my daily stuff, like note files, small documents, etc. I'm fortunate that I can let Mesh handle it. Fortunate, because I always end up leaving the flash drive dangling out of my computer at the end of the day. Took me a solid week to remember to bring it home once.

3. Nemo

Nemo Empty Pockets

I have one of this in my keychain
    [​IMG]
    obviously i know that it's dangerous to carry the flash drive in that way, so i use that drive at work, to carry files from one computer to another or from the workplace to home; i don't use it to store important files, for that is good to have a usb key placed in a secure place like a little box or safety placed in a bag or waistpack.

4. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

[img width=640 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/powerpickle/Picture.jpg[/img]
    Super Talent Pico-C 8 gig, with passwords encrypted with Roboforms.

[img width=640 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/powerpickle/Picture759.jpg[/img]

5. cjsmith

cjsmith Loaded Pockets

I used to carry a jump drive religiously, but then I discovered Google Documents, which works anywhere that has internet. Im starting to carry one again however.

6. anifong

anifong Loaded Pockets

I work as a software tech so i carry around the installation files for the most recent version of the accounting package I support, which is way better than carrying around the old Case Logic case full of cds. Also have various utilities, service packs, etc. Makes the bag much lighter, too! Currently using a Sandisk Cruzer 8gb, but have my eyes on a 16gb titanium model or maybe the Lacie Iamakey. Need something with a lot of space and sturdy, but gotta be reasonable $$$.

7. Johnny_Z

Johnny_Z Loaded Pockets

Why do people carry flash drives? Why do people carry anything?

Because they find them useful.

8. TNRat

TNRat Loaded Pockets

I just bought a 4GB for an out the door price of just over $14.00 at Office Depot. Instead of using the large Fantom external hard drive to back up my company's laptop I have started using this. Now I can back up the laptop any time I am on the road w/o having to haul around the external with its own cables.

I also just bought a 2GB Kingston for personal documents. While not the indestructible model many of you use daily it is kept in my pack and should work well for me. It was only $6 at Wally World. That is pretty cheap insurance. I may get a second one of the same thing and use it for a back up of the original kingston. A back up back up. :lolhammer:

9. diggity

diggity Loaded Pockets

that lacie is sweet.

10. TNRat

TNRat Loaded Pockets

Well, that Kingston did not last long. Thankfully the files were not that important since I now cannot open the thing. :(

11. DerekH

DerekH Loaded Pockets

Just saw this so I figured I might throw in my two cents.

I carry a really small jump drive in a custom Ti capsule around my neck, 24/7. It never leaves. On it, on the root of the drive, is a nice text file with all of my pertinent medical info, as well as contact info for people that would need to be notified if anything ever happened to me. In my phone under the ICE contact, it has a note to check the capsule on my neck for more info.

Here is the capsule:

[img width=640 height=480]http://www.derekhaltom.com/My%20Images/EDC/Capsule01.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=480]http://www.derekhaltom.com/My%20Images/EDC/Capsule02.jpg[/img]

It weighs next to nothing, and it is secured using some 550 cord, which I can replace pretty easily. I also have the obligatory IT stuff, and since it is 8gb I can carry a fair bit of other stuff if needed. Other stuff includes my important documents and stuff, all encrypted with Trucrypt, and a copy of my resume, just in case I get a good offer when I am out and about (it has happened pretty often, and having the resume handy really helps to give them less time to rethink their offer).

All this came about because I wanted an Ironkey, but couldn't justify spending $200+ on one. Of course, when all was said and done, I ended up paying pretty close to that, but it was well worth it for a one of a kind capsule and some peace of mind.

12. Paddling_Man

Paddling_Man Loaded Pockets

As others have noted, they've gotten cheaper and larger. I've been edc'ing one on a keychain for a couple of years. Yeah... I replace it every 6 months to a year based on damage. Portable Apps was the thing that finally sold me on the mobile-usb environment. I do a lot of support for both Macs and PCs.

13. Justinicus

Just doing some idle thinking (dangerous, I know) on the flash drive mod wherein one "shells" the drive and then coats it in epoxy. Result is a significantly smaller, purportedly waterproof and damage-resistant drive, but in my opinion, hideously ugly. So what if one were to do that same mod, then coat it in an additional layer of epoxy and give it a paracord wrap while wet? The cord could give it a notable amount of shock resistance, and if done carefully could significantly improve the appearance if, like me, you think bare circuit boards and epoxy are ugly and cord wraps aren't.

14. dogtorlam

dogtorlam Empty Pockets

I EDC a jump drive because my work involves me transporting my collection of research documents and PDF's around...at work I could be at any of hundreds of computers and having the drive is perfect to keep around.

15. skullpin

skullpin Empty Pockets

I carry my lecture presentation files on mine. Classrooms have a projector and computer in them already, so I do not need to lug my laptop.

Additionally, backed up important files of course.

16. nevermas

nevermas Loaded Pockets

anyone here aware of portable apps, only scanned this thread briefly so i might have missed in a post above, but check out www.portableapps.com

large amounts of software that can be run without accessing the registry, temp, or history files, example of portable software such as firefox, open office, or antivirus. this way you can access public computers without leaving a trace of your history.

also, there have been efforts to place games on thumb drives that run without installation or accessing the registry. some of those games include baldur's gate 2, fallout, or starcraft.

portable apps is why i edc a jump drive, encrypted of course

17. retrosurfer

retrosurfer Loaded Pockets

I carry everything on one personal files copies of all critical documents in encrypted files as well as work files, personal inventory lists novels etc. In todays world knowledge is power and they make so many really small drives now why not?

my current favorite is a LaCie key drive literally metallic and the same size and shape of a key with 8 gigs of storage. from a EDC perspective a lot of the documents in our lives our critical why not have a copy or ten that are redundant and easy to recover.

[img width=640 height=480]http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/retrosurfer1959/Small%20EDC%20Tools/IMG_0537copy.jpg[/img]

18. InMused

InMused Loaded Pockets

I have been looking into Portable Apps for a week or so. I love my heavily customised firefox set-up and loathe using IE on someone else's computer. Portable apps would allow me to take my Firefox set-up, including my bookmarks, with me.

Pax

19. Justinicus

I fully agree. But something to keep in mind, flash drives tend to be kinda slow. I've tried running Firefox portable on my ~3yo Imation 8GB flash drive, and it's unbearably slow. Maybe newer drives are faster, I don't know.

20. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

It is probably more like what USB port you are using. If it is the USB original and not 2.0 then it will run slower. I have run Firefox from my USB drive on my newish computer and have had no real terrible slow down.