1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why EDC a jump drive??

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by tool amour, Aug 14, 2009.

1. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

Apparently you're right, you have to install stuff to be able to write on a NTFS drive from a Mac.

If I were forced to use a Mac, I'd just install NTFS support, everybody uses NTFS drives for sharing purposes (except the people who never have 4GB+ files who find FAT32 good enough).

2. Woz

Woz Empty Pockets

Really? I don´t use NTFS but Mac formated HDD - works well on my Macs ;)

I carry a credit card sizes jump drive in my wallet and a SanDisk Cruzer on my keychain. For the connector is hidden in the sticks body and sliding out there is no cap to be lost and the connector is save. 2 years of EDC keychain duty, and the Cruzer is still fine. Guess I´ll get a larger Cruzer and maybe a LaCie IAMAKEY some day, but so far I´m OK with what I have.

3. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

How do they work on other OS ?
    We're talking mobile storage here, of course my fixed HDDs are not NTFS for my Linux (mostly EXT3), but I wouldn't use it on an external drive I could lend to someone. Inter-OS compatibility is the key here, since people who have Macs are still a small minority, and half the ones I know use a dual-boot on it.

Maybe one day we'll have a good file system natively used by Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.

4. Woz

Woz Empty Pockets

Good point there. To share documents or songs I use my iDisk on MobileMe - available everywhere and no chance to loose it. I also store important docs there. But to share pictures and movies I use NTFS formatted memory cards, so everyone can use them.

5. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

Now I'm interested in the memory cards part. Do you carry the card reader too ?
    Quite similarly, I've recently begun to EDC microSD cards and a small usb reader, that's cool, even though it's not as fast as a good USB drive. Compatibility is better, though, since I can now read the same media with a computer, internet tablet, phone, and others (a SD/microSD adapter also comes in handy)... And I have a microSD reader handy when I need one, too.

Back to the topic, I received yesterday a mail from Telltale Games, telling me there was a new episode of Tales of Monkey Island, and the download link. I downloaded it from work (lightning fast connection compared to my home), and put it on a USB drive to play it when I got home.
    When I have to download Linux distributions I want to try (latest was CentOS - several GBs), I do the same.
    And then, I use a big enough USB drive to write the .iso file on, and spare a CD/DVD, but that's out of the EDC idea.

6. Sharpmint

Sharpmint Empty Pockets

I have a SanDisk Titanium Cruzer with 4GB. If you're worried about damaging it, don't. The first day I got it, I literally told a few friends of mine to attempt snapping it in half. They tried placing it on a pole and pushing vertically on opposite ends, throwing it against rocks and walls, and jumping up and down on it. It still worked like a champ, and the casing was only slightly scuffed.

I wouldn't advise regularly abusing flash drives, but the case is certainly worry-free for EDC purposes.

7. qharjo

qharjo Empty Pockets

I carry a USB stick because my mother-in-law is a computer virus magnet, and I have to have something to ward away the bugs.

8. Estrie

Estrie Empty Pockets

I don't have a printer at home, and due to the nature of my job (Americorps participant) m employer is very understanding about me needing to print a certain amount of personal stuff (the husband's immigration paperwork, etc) AND I work from home sometimes (we currently have no heat at work, ah the joys of non-profit!). I carry things than need to be printed or finished up at home.
    I always have a copy of my resume on my thumb-drive, as well as copies of both of our passports, etc. I am just about to replace a thumb-drive I have had for over 6 years because the plastic ring that fastens it to my keychain is giving way.

9. Coaster

Coaster Empty Pockets

lol that's just good life advice...

10. Justinicus

Justinicus Loaded Pockets

Don't you need to worry about heat?

11. NInjaSMS

NInjaSMS Empty Pockets

Yep, that's what I carry with me all the time. But mine is only 2GB Micro Cruzer
    [​IMG]

12. shwa

shwa Loaded Pockets

I have two One on the key chain 2 gigs and one in my bag 8 gigs,first one is the cheap one and serves me when i need to transport not really important stuff like songs and pdfs from pc to pc. the other one are more important backups and work stuff ,the one on my key chain i got two years ago and still I didn't have any problems with it beside losing the cap, but for 6 bucks it can be disposable wouldn't mind too much

13. AndyH

AndyH Loaded Pockets

I use a 16GB Corsair USB thumb drive, which is robust and quick. I have it divided into 5 partitions.

The smallest partition has a copy of TrueCrypt that can run in that space. The other 4 partitions are: Work (Apps to build a healthcare PC with), Office (Office 2k & 2007 suite installers), Useful apps (including some pocket apps that help me quickly circumvent group policies and security plus other utilities), Home (Mac apps). These 4 partitions are encrypted with TrueCrypt.

Being a PC and network techie I couldn't be without it. I regularly lose the caps. I tend to use USB/PS2 adaptors as a replacement cap because Corsair don't seem to fulfill requests for replacement caps, whereas Kingston do. Guess who my next USB key will be from!

14. Fird

Fird Loaded Pockets

I EDC 3 usb drives with a 4th in my overnight bag. I've got Linux on a stick (2gb), documents, passwords, etc (encrypted naturally) as well as a full USB toolkit for fixing whatever ails a windows-based PC on a second 2gb, an older 256mb with encryption on it for stashing various other items I want to keep in my pocket, and a final 512mb one with a second copy of my usb toolkit on it as well as the encrypted passwords and ID, stashed in my overnight bag. With any of these I leave a photo and an "Owner.txt" file on them with the hope that if they are lost, someone nice will return them to me..

15. Kraid

Kraid Loaded Pockets

This is a good thread. I EDC this 8GB TacDrive, virtually indestructible. But I have no idea why...
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii211/GenKraid/picturephp.jpg[/img]

16. jlagman

jlagman Loaded Pockets

Why do I carry one? I only just finished school in June, I haven't broken the habit yet.

:laugh:

17. Vitiare

Vitiare Empty Pockets

I keep a few documents Im working on, but nothing I would be heartbroken to lose.

I dont carry it on my keychain, but I place it in an altoids mini tin (they're about 1 x2") and a wrapped up piece of tissue paper just to keep it from rattling around. It also makes it easier to spot in my bag.

18. houdini28

houdini28 Loaded Pockets

I graduated in 2007, but I still carry my jump drive. I have Sony Microvault which is incredibly thin, which made it convenient in college. Now, I think about removing it from my wallet, but I don't because it takes up space and is convenient to have.

19. Justinicus

Justinicus Loaded Pockets

That's funny... I carried an imation flash drive around my neck for years in college -- graduated summer of '08 and I broke that habit within about a month! I started again, briefly, at work... until I discovered Live Mesh.

20. Double_Tap

Double_Tap Loaded Pockets

I carry work-related installation files, documents, and password database on an IronKey. On others, I carry bootable linux installs for fixing, recovering Windows installations.