1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why EDC a jump drive??

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by tool amour, Aug 14, 2009.

1. ErnestS

ErnestS Loaded Pockets

Another use for USB drives is portable apps. If your office does not allow you to install your preferred browser or apps, you can often use a USB drive to run a standalone apps on the drive. This also very useful when traveling and having to use internet cafes, since you can retain all your personal bookmarks and extensions.

Lifehacker had a great article on the subject. Definitely worth a read when you get a chance.

Unfortunately, my office now has a no external device or drive policy. For a while, we got away with using online file storage and sync sites such as DropBox and SkyDrive, but now they are also locked down. :(

2. vivek16

vivek16 Loaded Pockets

Because I use computers, that's why. It's way too inconvenient not to have some way of transporting files with you (also I have applications on mine).

-vivek

3. Fred Foobar

Fred Foobar Loaded Pockets

I also use a Lacie iamaKey.
    http://www.lacie.com/imgstore/product_overview/iamaKey_ring.jpg

I use it all the time at work transferring files between the PC's and Macs.
    - As an EDC item, it comes very handy since I don't need to go running back to the office to grab a flash drive when needed.
    - The casing is made of metal, so there is no plastic loop to break off and risk losing the drive. Supposedly the connector is more durable than a regular USB key, so it doesn't matter if you lose the plastic cap.
    - They're smaller than the normal portable USB drives, and blend in with the keys quite easily:
    http://www.geardiary.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/geardiary_lacie_iamakey_03-500x455.jpg
    (not my pic)

Hotlinked images removed and replaced with links.
    Please see "What is Hot Linking, and why isn't it allowed?" in the FAQ.
    Also, please see How to and Where to host pictures.

~DB :tardis:

4. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

*cough* file sharing *cough*...

5. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

transfering files from computer to computer, if the files are big enough its faster than network transfer. But I work in the IT industry doing software/web/game development, so my needs are not that of others.

6. Doug S

Doug S Empty Pockets

I teach at a university in as many as 5 large lecture rooms a day, each with it's own computer.I also use my office computer, and my personal laptop while at work so a flash drive is an essential item in my EDC. Even if I didn't teach, I'd still have enough reason, just in home, school board, church use to warrant a EDC flashdrive.

7. b.sloan

b.sloan Loaded Pockets

If you work with more than one computer on a given day or do any amount of traveling then a Jump drive is almost a neccesity As far as durability goes I have repeatedly ran several of mine through the washer and dryer with no damage. Two things I highly recommend are ensuring that you use some type of encryption if you have personal info on it. Truecrypt is a great product. Secondly. don't plug you drive into a computer in a manner that allows the rest of your keys to hang supported only by the drive. It will work for a while but eventually it will damage the USB connector.

8. callmekipling

callmekipling Empty Pockets

Well me.. I'm a student :) I have the desktop at home and a laptop for school.

We've really gotten away from using floppy disks, as a general thing. Most files (with the exception of some text documents) are too darned big for a 1.25 floppy anyway. Which leaves us with CD-ROMs/CD-RWs for data transfer. USB drives are smaller, are rewritable and hold more. A drive that can hold all your vital info can be had for Awfully Cheap, while a drive that can hold movies or music or games is Just a Bit More. Yes, CDs are cheap, but if you consider rewritability, the values aren't as disparate as before.

Also, some computers don't have disk drives (e.g. a netbook, some workstations.) These days we move lots of data via the internet. But every computer nowadays is built with at least one spare USB port.

If holding, managing and moving data is not a big part of your life, I say don't worry about it. Paper still works, and everyone that needs to can still read :)

9. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I carry 2 jumpdrives,
    one is in my wallet, and holds a scanned copy of my insurance policies, reciepts for large purchases (camera gear, laptop etc)
    this way i have a copy still if my house burns down while i am at work.

the second one is a 1gb Sandisk SD+ card, its a 1gb SD card, that folds in half to expose a usb connector.
    this is handy as its always on my keys, and doubles as an emergency memory card while i am at work

10. tennvol

tennvol Empty Pockets

I EDC carry a IronKey. Files are encrypted to mil standards and I keep a scanned copy of everything from car titles, gun receipts, insurance docs, etc. It's tamper proof and will self destruct if unathorized entry is attempted. It's also waterproof and comes in a metal case.

11. capn_tack

capn_tack Loaded Pockets

I'm looking into getting an Ironkey, tho since I don't yet have too many things to encrypt, nor much money, it's lower on my list of goodies. :(

12. mlau

mlau Loaded Pockets

Why EDC a flashdrive?

It's lighter than a computer, a harddrive, or even an ipod touch.

I carried a PQI 2Gb flash drive the size of a soda can tab for about four years.
    I finally lost it today (but I think that my sister walked off with it).
    I ordered an 8Gb one of the same model from Newegg for under $20

It's pretty tough too. Even if the plastic tab (that keeps it open) is easy to break, it's survived being stepped on, stomped on, and a couple cycles through the washer and dryer. Highly recommended.

13. MichaelScarn

MichaelScarn Loaded Pockets

Flashdrives are cheap enough these days that you can afford to lose one (IMO) unless you have valuable files on there (which you can solve w/ some encryption software).

14. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

I have two i carry with me.

One is kept "clean" (ie not used in random computers and not lent out to people) which is a 4 gig i-disk which lives on my keys. Right now it just holds a copy of my keepass database (which holds a copy of all my passwords and banking details etc) which is secured by a 44 digit password and the keepass password file that the other password database on my laptops need to open along with an installed copy of keepass (so if i need to open it in an absolute emergency i can). As you can tell i like the program, lol.

The password file, which is basically a key to access databases, is kept backed up on another drive which is kept secure. There are just two copies to it so it would be, err, interesting, if i somehow broke both drives, but i feel secure with the live copy and just one backup.

I also plan to keep some scanned copies of my bank cards, drivers license and other stuff like that encrypted on the disk, ive just not gotten around to it yet.

I also have a "dirty" drive, which is a 16 gig cruzer micro, which i dont keep sensitive files on and is generally used for moving around files and lending out if i need to etc without needing to worry about not getting it back. For instance i lent it to a friend last week to get a copy of the first 3 seasons of Dexter to rewatch in time for the new one starting this month.

15. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

Last edited by soli, May 27, 2012
  16. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

I have a government laptop through my employer. I use roboforms2go on a thumb drive, which is a small app that stores all of my personal passwords encrypted. It uses one master password, but I use it so that it does not leave any of my personal data on the machine. I'll be returning this laptop next year to the taxpayers and getting a new one, and don't want to have any passwords left on the HD. You can delete stuff, but its never really gone unless you do a real disk wipe or similar. You can use the thumb drive with roboforms2go on any machine, and it will auto fill the passwords. In conjunction with portableapps (see above), its a pretty good combo.

I carry an ultra teeny "SuperTalent Pico-C" 16GB thumb drive, that is small enough to hide under a quarter.

17. tradja

tradja Loaded Pockets

I have two very old flash drives in my EDC pack (128MB and 32MB). I haven't used them in a while. The last use I had for them was bringing home the VPN client software from work to install on my home machine. In one of those EDC-triumph moments we all love, my employer actually asked, "Bring in a flash drive to bring this home" and 5 seconds later, I had one in hand. :roof:

Like most EDC items beyond a knife and flashlight, IMHO the usefulness of a flash drive depends heavily on your job and environment (or "mission requirements" :rolleyes: ;D ;D ;D). I carry a few vacation and family pics, a few MP3's, a few diagnostics/utilities, and a PDF of my resume. Soli hit it on the head with family/friend tech support.

If I carried a laptop or some kind of smart phone, I suspect that the already-limited usefulness of the flashdrive would be diminished.

18. Halliday

Halliday Loaded Pockets

I carry a Sandisk 4GB Cruzer and use it almost everyday. Just yesterday my boss wanted a copy of a file 250mb I made on my Apple laptop. He gave me a Windows Seagate external drive to put the file on. My Apple wouldn't read the drive and I didn't want to jeopardize my boss's drive. I put the file on my jump drive and just gave him that to read. Office hero!

19. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

What's a Widows Seagate external drive ?

20. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

a Seagate portable hard drive, probably one of theseprobably one of these
    just plug them into a usb port
    this one was probably formatted as NTFS which macs dont natively read - but Windows computers do.