1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why don't we have a vehicle based EDC subforum?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by rockingthe2, Jul 10, 2011.

1. NonSenCe

NonSenCe Loaded Pockets

i did mention this elsewhere but decided it might fit into this thread too.

radiator hoses etc you can probably makeitwork-fix with ducttape if needed but the smaller hoses and tubes are more tricky..

offering one way how to temporarily fix an broken brakeline or fuel line or other vacuum hose or pipe.

1. measure the ones you have in your car. inner or outer diameter depending of the item.. metal ones outer dia. plastic, rubber etc soft tubes inner diameter.
    2. get 2 hose clamps per needed sizes. (one clamp will fit many diff sizes so you might only need one or two pairs to fit all them pipes/hoses/tubes.)
    3. get few inches of highpressure hoses that have inner diameter that fits over the pipes outer diameters. (one section of each size needed)
    --and--
    4. get few inches of copper/aluminum/metal tubing that fits inside of the rubber/plastic tubes/hoses you measured before.

and there you have a way to temp fix any broken or punctured line your car might have. 1.a broken rubber hose.. cut it thru.. put the small metal tube inside it and tighten it up with hoseclamps.
    2. broken brakeline.. same thing.. cut it.. add rubber hose over the ends and tighten them up. it will do a while. if it dont hold, you can still cruch the end of the line so it will not leak liquid out. i rather first try driving with all my wheels braking. :)

this setup i learned when i saw this set up in the trunk toolbox of an old car mechanic while i was rummaging for a part he needed. saw the parts. thought about them a moment why he would have such things in his car.. and then this quick-a-fix thing hit me.

i am applying it to my car now.. still need few metal tubes of different sizes then im good to go.

Fishin Fool likes this.
  2. intellax

intellax Loaded Pockets

vehicle EDC would be great! i plan on making an EDC kit for my car, which is with me nearly 90% of the time I am out and about.

3. DaPro

DaPro Loaded Pockets

Bringing this thread back to the surface because I just picked up a 2001 Nissan Xterra, my plan is to be far more equipped in this vehicle then my truck.

I am fixing to build a box in the rear for storage and add some panel extensions that will give me a flat bed surface to sleep on if necessary, and I just picked up a wire rack from wally world to add an overhead shelf to the rear hatch area....pics shortly, have to setup my shop for winter time use first.

I to would like a section on Vehicle EDC.....

Gary Gross likes this.
  4. gflack

gflack Loaded Pockets

I think this would be interesting on many levels. Would love to see how people use their vehicles for EDC of larger items as well as equip their vehicles for secondary standard things.

+1...

5. rockingthe2

rockingthe2 Loaded Pockets

I would be careful about putting racks up for overhead storage, in an accident they will become projectile objects. Secured MOLLE or a strong rack behind the seats to contain such objects would be a good idea.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  6. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

I agree in an accident anything that can come loose is a missile that could severely injure or kill someone!!

7. DaPro

DaPro Loaded Pockets

I completely agree with what you are saying, I picked up wire shelving with a 2" lip on both sides to prevent that, and only light stuff will go up there (hammock, gloves, blankets, towels), it has less then a 1" gap from the lip to the liner...I will keep tools, cables, etc in the box on the floor. I'm not looking to equip it to handle everything, just normal vehicle EDC stuff.

poor examples of the shelf, mainly putting a crow bar, hatchet, shovel up there :tsk:....mine has more lip and will be mounted very close to the liner
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would like to find a net that would serve this purpose, but I fear I would have to make something custom (no time)

Just put some new rubber on the X this morning, $425 out the door, Cooper Discoverer ATR....(I hardly go off road, but this deal was too good to pass up)
    [​IMG]

8. rockingthe2

That looks much better than it sounded, I would still be careful but strapping everything down should work.

9. HybridMomentsPass

awesome, im into the subforum idea

10. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

"Strap, anchor or tie down anything you would not drop on your face." Ancient off-roading proverb.

11. HybridMomentsPass

This sort of thing always makes me think of compact cars (mostly) owners who'd put a small fire extinguisher on the passenger side Apillar......thats an accident/face smashing waiting to happen.

Sooooooooo whens this forum going to be active?
    I'd be nice to see how people equip their vehicles, I'd love to get some creative ways of adding more to my truck (suv) without cluttering it up too much

12. rockingthe2

Here's a few ideas:
    1. 3-5D Maglite - Buy a set of "Auto Clamps" (I got mine at Bass Pro) and screw them to the floor. I put mine directly in front of the front passenger seat.

2. Fire extinguisher - Use quick disconnect clamps and screw them to the floor. Behind the drivers seat or on the transmission tunnel are both good places.

3. Rescue Tool - Securely fasten to sunvisor or on driver floorboard near the seat but out of the way.

13. dollar

dollar Loaded Pockets

I know this is a dead thread, but maybe time to resurrect it - what happened to the idea of a edc vehicle sub-forum?

14. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Figuratively pushing up daisies I reckon....

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

ran23 likes this.
  15. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

I'd be interested honestly. I'm always looking for better ways to kit out vehicles, and usually it ends being the truck/SUV guys that get to have all fun when it comes to easy solutions for emergency and everyday gear.

16. egp

egp Loaded Pockets

Agree, this would be a really good idea, if for nothing else, it will help people come up wiht ideas

17. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

For some reason I have just found this thread.

+1 for the sub-forum.

My car EDC (Every Day Car-rying :cool:) is pretty extensive - to cover car break-down, accidents, small fires, etc.
    Would love to share & discuss this with the EDCF experts.

medic68 likes this.
  18. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

19. NKlamerus

NKlamerus Loaded Pockets

For those who are also on reddit, I strongly recommend r/VEDC

Great subreddit with kits for all kinds of cars

medic68 and FiaOlleDog like this.
  20. Osage

Osage Loaded Pockets

By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail.
    ~~Benjamin Franklin

Here is my list of tools I carry in my off-road vehicle (Nissan Xterra). I carry less in my Subaru Outback.

Off-Road Tools

Ø Traction mat

Ø Tire inflator

Ø Folding shovel

Ø 48” hi-lift steel jack

Ø Simple bottle jack

Ø Tire-plug kit

Ø Recovery strap

Ø Pry-bar

Ø Jumper cable

Ø Portable jumper pack

Ø Air pressure gauge e.g. JACO superior product

Ø Funnels & gas siphon hose

Ø 5-gal Jerry can

Ø Work light

Tool Bags[1]

Basic Tools

Ø Complete Socket Set with SAE (standard) and Metric with 3/8″ and 1/2″ drives. Deep and standard sockets.

Ø Crescent, open end combination box wrenches SAE (standard) and Metric

Ø Allen Wrenches

Ø Torx sockets (especially if you own a Jeep)

Ø Standard & Phillips screwdrivers, large, medium, small

Ø Metal file

Ø Compact hacksaw

Versatile Tools (Versatile tools are those that have many uses)

Ø Large Hammer (a.k.a. the “BFH”)

Ø Winkler ax

Ø Gerber saw

Ø Pliers (various sizes)

Ø Knipex plier

Ø Knipex bolt cutter

Ø Needle Nose Pliers

Ø Vice Grips, various sizes

Ø Large channel-lock Pliers (see Knipex pliers)

Ø Crescent wrenches (medium & large)

Ø A BIG pry bar or length of strong metal pipe, inside diameter of pipe large enough to slip over a wrench or socket drive for extra leverage.

Ø Magnet, extendable

Versatile Items

Ø Duct/gorilla tape

Ø Electrical tape

Ø Baling wire, 12-gauge

Ø wood blocks – Useful as chock blocks, jacking platforms, ramps, suspension supports (for broken torsion bars)

Ø Bungee cords, several in multiple sizes – suitable for securing gear, temporary repairs, etc.

Ø Rope lengths

Ø Zip ties various lengths

Ø Superglue

Ø Epoxy

Ø Tie wraps

Ø rags

Ø Work Gloves, Mechanic

Ø Funnel/siphon hose

Ø WD-40

Ø Paracord

Ø Bank cord

Electrical Repair Kit

Ø Volt ohms meter (multimeter)

Ø Wire cutters / wire crips / wire strippers (multi-tool)

Ø Spare fuses of all sizes and types used in your vehicle

Ø Electrical tape

Ø Spare wire – lengths of various gauges

Ø Crip on ends (male and female, various gauges)

Ø Soldering iron

Ø Flux core solder for repairs

[1] Storage: Use all manner of soft tool bags to store all the smaller tools and items. Also use zippered tool pouches, tactical molle bags, and even some luggage-type canvas bags. By using different bags one can store like items in the same bag, and find areas in your vehicle to store the soft bags.