1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why dont these threads do well?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by HimalayanHitman, Sep 11, 2014.

1. HimalayanHitman
    • In Omnia Paratus

HimalayanHitman Loaded Pockets

I find myself to be a big time gear fan (whether thats true or not) and one of my favorite things to look at is everyones gear dumps from their pockets and such and with "How about an EDC picture thread" having all the views and subscriptions it does I find it strange why all the "whats in your bag" and "show me your backpack carry" type threads dont do as well. Lately (after starting school again) I have grown to really enjoy the bag dump showing all the gear beyond the pocket.

I just dont see why its not as popular here and with this site being viewed more than Google on my phone Im here alot. If there is a long running one that I may have overlooked or missed please show me :).

2. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

it's a pain to take all your junk out and I'm not sure anyone wants to see the half eaten Pay Day I have in mine...

KODIAKman, Moco, bigfoot and 10 others like this.
  3. Wolfman

Wolfman Loaded Pockets

You could say the same for a pocket dump, and people are more than happy to do that.

4. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Not exactly true IMO... Pocket dumps can be a pain sometimes, but bags are a bigger amount of stuff, and pockets get unloaded periodically anyway. From what i see here, there is usually 3 or 4 times as much stuff in edc bags as there are in pockets. And also, most of us probably change pants etc every day or every other day and have to un-load/reload our pockets anyway, a prime time to take a pic... Bags don't really need unloaded very often unless the contents change a Lot, or the bag needs cleaned(which happens a lot less often than clothes with pockets needing cleaned).

YMMV of course :cool:
    but I'm betting thats a big part of it..

5. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I don't look at either kind of thread, so I guess I discriminate equally. :)

Hertz33, RiskMgr, Heavyduti and 2 others like this.
  6. RoboSim

RoboSim Loaded Pockets

Because these types of threads (or variants thereof) pop up every other week.

hal_chase and JustinJ like this.
  7. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Exactly. Tru dat, AK...tru dat!

AK Adventurer likes this.
  8. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I also think it has to do with the fact that I don't particularly want people around me knowing everything I carry in my bag. (given that at some point I'll be spotting and known by someone locally who has seen my pics) My pocket has more normal stuff, in my eyes, but people will look at me differently when they realize the types of stuff I bag carry daily:eek:

Tony D., MikeM, alecgold and 2 others like this.
  9. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

you have that many forum members around there? I say move.. There are a few high posters in my neck of the woods and I would have never seen them unless we organized.

Besides...no body wants that pink tutu .....you have at the bottom of your pack....:rofl:

10. HimalayanHitman
    • In Omnia Paratus

And thats the issue. They keep popping up because none solidify to the point where only one needs to exist. The question was why they never do well, and it seems that as said above its a more difficult task to undertake. I still enjoy the type of pics and would like atleast one to get going to where one doesnt need posting every other week.

11. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

These threads don't seem to solidify for two reasons IMHO... And I hope I don't offend you with my frankness...

One... every Tom, Dick, and Harry wants their own thread. This happens no matter what the subject is. In regards to this topic, a quick search on the site (pic below) brought up three "Bag Dump" threads on the first two pages of results, I didn't look any further as I am sure there are more. I always find it hard to understand how people don't correlate starting a new thread with a lack of posts in another. Long standing threads get started and kept alive by people posting in them, so if you don't post in them... you get the picture. I don't usually post in duplicate threads unless it's to direct the OP to the original thread they should have posted in. Then again, I feel for the moderators (I have previously done the job) who many times have to clean up the plethora of duplicate threads.

[​IMG]

The threads you were looking for:

http://www.edcforums.com/threads/pics-of-your-edc-bag-dump.111377/
    http://www.edcforums.com/threads/bag-dump.107948/
    http://www.edcforums.com/threads/pics-of-your-edc-bag-dump.111377/

Two... what others already expressed, which is the fact that dumping your bag takes A LOT more effort than dumping your pockets. I have done a basic bag dump to show someone my loadout before to help them with their own loadout, but I don't dump my bag to take pics for the fun of it.

12. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Bag contents are used,,, that's why they are in there,,,,,,, pocket contents are for show

13. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Under a high CRI light, I think you'll find the tutu is more of a fuschia... just to keep things accurate. :rolleyes_revamped:

ATB,
    Sam

14. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

lol, I actually see it the other way around in most cases; A lot of guys I see posting bags say their backups are in the bag, and what gets used the most is in their pockets...

So the pocket stuff is for use and the bag stuff is for making your back hurt while you look tacticool carting around stuff you hardly ever use... ;) :p :rofl:

G.
    (no offense to the bag carriers intended! Just joking around here guys! :cool: )

15. alecgold

alecgold Loaded Pockets

I haven't counted it yet, but there are about a 100+ separate times in my EDC bag. If I take them out I have to put them back in exactly the same place (I like to keep everything in it's own spot so I can pick them blind/in the dark) and if I do post a picture it's absolutely unclear what is what and why I do carry it. If I do so, I'll need to make endless lists and tell what is what etc.

So if I'm i the mood I take apart my EDC tool bag and post a thread on it, asking what people like/would change/would throw out. (I couldn't find an EDC tool bag thread).
    Same for the first aid kits, but there where several good threads on them, so I posted on there.

But to clean out my x-ray with mini-long-pockets and organizer all in once is way to much work and IMHO nobody would be interested reading through so much lists and pictures?! And I find it way to much time consuming :D

HimalayanHitman likes this.
  16. HimalayanHitman
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum no offense taken, and I get where you are coming from (and dont get me wrong this is only a question thread I have no intention on starting another bag dump picture thread) and as stated the extra work and organization issues could prove to be a stopper for the progression of the thread. It just sucks as it could be a cool thing to see every month or so everyones changes to whats carried in a pack.

403Jeeping and FL Woods Bum like this.
  17. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

I think the "what's in your bag" threads tend to be shorter and more frequent because of the volume of things that can go into an individual bag, and the different types/uses of bag. one short bag thread can depict as much gear as a couple longer "what is in your pockets/what knife did you carry today" threads, and a lot of the subject lines specify hiking bag, edc bag, bug out bag, etc or make/model/brand of bag, both of which exclude lots of people who have a bag but it's not that make/model/brand or not that function.

another factor in the short lifespan of bag dump threads is that the bag is the repository of bulky, mundane items. spare clothes, napkins, lunch, stationery, nothing worth showing off in pictures.

18. Heavyduti

Heavyduti Banned

A thread about... Threads?!?!?!?

Pete3, F-Bobby, JustinJ and 4 others like this.
  19. RiskMgr

RiskMgr Loaded Pockets

There's an EDC "page" over on reddit that probably has what you're looking for. Primarily pocket dumps, some packs. There's also a VEDC which is kinda cool.

And, ditto on the volume of contents discouraging bag dumps. It'd probably take me over an hour to unload, sort, take a picture, then reload.

20. Wolfman

Wolfman Loaded Pockets

We have some serious players here. My EDC bag would only take a few minutes to unload and load. It's got more than my daily essentials, but the most important thing is my laptop.