1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why does all this stuff make us so happy?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by Pine Box Parkinson, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Dok J

Dok J Loaded Pockets

I like useful things and being able to fend for myself. Doesn't matter if it's just opening an envelope or giving a hand in a car crash.
    Web window shopping is just the next step... :p
    At least it's not as expensive as car and bike racing...

That''s what my SO always say, word for word, but in spanish...

Pine Box Parkinson likes this.
  2. Papa Tac

Papa Tac Loaded Pockets

We are all overgrown children with poor impulse control, who must assuage our fragile egos with pockets swelling from shiny and questionably useless trinkets. Now, get a haircut and...
    (wrestles father away from keyboard)
    I like shiny things...

3. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Most of my EDC interest is purely utilitarian. I learned about a lot of things here on the forum and looked into those that I found interesting or that might be useful to me.

I researched multi-tools, found 2 that I like, and bought them. I am done with multi-tools unless my needs change.
    I don't wear a watch. I've got one but the battery is dead and I always found them uncomfortable anyway
    I have functional pens that I've had for years that I am satisfied with. Cross Classic (thick ones with plastic barrels, not the skinny metal ones).
    I only have one bag and that's an LLBean carry-on bag that I have adapted for carrying miscellaneous stuff.
    I have 5 flashlights and that's plenty for my needs. Probably too many but I wanted to have one for different battery sizes (AA, 2xAA, AAA, CR123).
    No need for more firearms.
    I have a mini-FAK and I'm good there for my needs.

The only place I went overboard was knives. I definitely have a need to have a sharp cutting tool with me most days. And my needs are varied enough to where there's not a one-size-fits all knife that covers everything. 5 or 6 would cover all of my needs for different days and different tasks. So why is it that I have closer to 60? I dunno, I just find the wide variety of sizes, shapes, steels, and handle materials very interesting. There's just something about the feel of a well-manufactured quality tool that is both functional and beautiful, each having its own quirks and personality. Learning how to sharpen, maintain, restore, and care for them. Learning the history and variety. Appreciating the science of the metallurgy, the artistry of the designs, the craftsmanship of the manufacturing.

So yeah, I guess that's why. It's just something fascinating and compelling, outside of my otherwise daily functional activities. A hobby.

microbe and Pine Box Parkinson like this.
  4. Gollum24601

Gollum24601 Loaded Pockets

Better to be preparanoid and never need it than to have dire need and not have it.

warchild likes this.
  5. SharpStrings

SharpStrings Loaded Pockets

i don't know......................but i can't stop AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH help me :cry:

microbe and Pine Box Parkinson like this.
  6. Gollum24601

Gollum24601 Loaded Pockets

At least a majority of our accessories have some primary or secondary use other than just looking pretty.

warchild and Pine Box Parkinson like this.
  7. Mike R

Mike R Loaded Pockets

Ditto. I've always tended to be prepared and tend to have on hand what I think I'll need or may be likely to need. And I usually research the heck out of a purchase before I make it. A forum like this helps in both ways plus it gives me other ideas for things I may need.

My wife is mainly supportive although I think she thinks I'm a little weird at times. But she knows from past experience it pays off in the long run.

95yjinpa, oedipus1978 and gibbsrule9 like this.
  8. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

I like it because it lets me get things done IMMEDIATELY instead of waiting and forgetting.

Often I am on the go and need a tool, bam...MT that shiz. No more waiting.

9. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

Materialism.

microbe and JustinJ like this.
  10. Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

I feel like Metro, if you have what you need at hand it's a lot easier to get through the day. My on body is "fairly" conservative, knife, light, keys, wallet, phone, pen & pad. I feel naked without this bare minimum. I keep my tool pouch and PPE stuff in the car.
    I absolutely HATE being caught unprepared, having to run back to the house or the car is a huge time waster IMO.

There is a small degree of bling factor, but a lousy tool is worse than no tool in most circumstances.

Aside from that, there is no rational argument that titanium loses :D

T

11. ncc123

ncc123 Loaded Pockets

I happen to like, and am fascinated with, well-made items that perform their function extremely well, and have little or no "overdesign" to them. Seems to me that a lot of the better EDC items are like this.

12. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

It's also a quest for the "perfect" tool for our individual situations, which change over time. That means more stuff, right?

Jramirez9083 and Southpaw like this.
  13. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't know. I like what I like I guess. And I buy the tools I buy bc I feel it benefits me. Plus I learned a lot since starting. I feel more prepared, I feel safe, I feel organized, I like the satisfaction when I use my tools when the occasion arises. I guess it reinforces the concept.

At the end of the day, I like learning. Learning what fits my lifestyle and personality, and my EDC continues to evolve, and if I find one setup, that ONE setup that I use for 6 months straight (my keychain, light, pen, and sunglasses has passed that, and my zippo will look to reach that), then I think I've found "the setup." My goal for each tool I carry is to carry it with me through my life and hope to have stories with it when I show my grown kids and their kids. And hope maybe I can pass it down. Til then, the search for "that setup" continues. Wallet, knife, SAK to go!

14. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't think any of what I have makes me happy but rather I don't wanna get hacked off if I needed something and didn't have it.

15. Tactical&Practical

Tactical&Practical Loaded Pockets

I'm gonna have to agree with KAMM on this one. People do obsess over things they enjoy.
    I think that putting a titanium clip on your key-chain is normal because it is something that you are into, it's a hobby. All of these items we carry make us happy because we are filling a gap or uncertainty in our lives. For me it is the "Fear of the Unknown" as well as the "What-if". I do it to make life easier everyday be it a normal or unusual/rare circumstance. It most definitely makes me more self-reliant too.

982 and gooseman1991 like this.
  16. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

I think if they tried it they may like it. Maybe not obsess over it, But Like a lot of you use my knife, Light and pliers or lighter every single day multiple times at that. So being prepared(able to deal with these occurrences) makes me happy.

17. Jp85
    • In Omnia Paratus

Jp85 Loaded Pockets

I can only speak for myself, but being prepared ALWAYS feels good.

18. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Happy??

I'm not happy. I just want to be prepared for when the world ends by having the best EDC gear for me.

That way I can point and laugh while the unprepared normies scream and burn to ashes! :byebye:

keith1234 and warchild like this.
  19. Marguerite Lamorey

Marguerite Lamorey Loaded Pockets

It's a nice escape and a way to focus on things other than work.

20. Papa Tac

Papa Tac Loaded Pockets

My favourite carry is my pre-frontal cortex, as it allows me to rationalize any purchase/addiction/choice...

GRH, Monocrom and MedusaOblongata like this.