1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why do you spend over $30 for a knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by epicelite, Sep 15, 2010.

1. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

I agree 100%. When I joined this forum, I had a Leatherman folder as my EDC knife. Did fine for what I needed it for. Then I got introduced to Spydercos, Benchmades, Bark Rivers, Zero Tolerance, etc. And I've bought many. None of them function at a higher level. None of them have gotten me out of a sitaution that the LM couldn't have. But I bought them because I wanted to. I'm tremendously unlikely to ever need a knife to save myself in a survival situation, but if I did I argue that the Leatherman would function just as well as the others.

This issue works in well with the fitness discussion in another thread. People walking (or riding, more likely) around, 100 lbs overweight, with $1,000 of knives, multi-tools, etc. strapped to themselves. They'd not last a day in a survival situation because of their physical condition, but they'd have awesome gear!

I say buy whatever the heck you want, but don't stretch and try to make it like you need it because a $30 knife would fail you. The truly prepared person could make that $30 knife last as long as the $300 one.

2. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

There was a period in my life that I got bit by the knife bug. For a while there, I went a little nuts, and accumulated some high end knives in the blind belief that they would be 'better' than my usual stuff. I had a couple of Randall's, a George Stone, a Jay Hedrickson made before he became head of the American Bladesmith Association. It was the same experiance I had witrh the BMW motorcycles. None of them were that much better, and a couple of them were not as good as my old Buck knife. I made some money on the Randall's, broke even on a few others, lost some money on a few. In the end, it was all about bragging rights. They didn't cut any better, and in fact my Buck woodsman did a better job field dressing a deer than the Randall hunter.

If there was a clear cut difference in performance, I could see it. But much past a moderate price, and a knife reaches a point of diminishing returns very fast. A knife is a low tech tool. It's not like a car even, where you can buy a Ferrari that will make a 'normal' car look bad. ut is it worth 100,000 dollars? On the other hand a knife is a much simpler tool. It just cuts. Does the meat, rope, cardboard box not get cut by a sharp 10 dollar mora as well as a 300 dollar status knife? It gets to a point where things get ridiculous, when talking low tech tools.

3. karafire2003

karafire2003 Loaded Pockets

As with the OP, I am also curious; however, my limit is $100. I understand that quality is a factor, but past a certain threshold quality is similar and you are buying via personal preference and brand name (status).

Will a kershaw, sog, or sebenza not all cut the same stuff? is one really that much better than the other once you compare similar models? (I think I maybe echoing jackknife at this point).

4. karafire2003

karafire2003 Loaded Pockets

Well said!!!!

5. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Loaded Pockets

Why do people spend craploads of money on car upgrades? Or flashlights? Do they need a 500 hp engine with turbo-whatchamacallits? Do they need to light up their entire neighbourhood to find their keys in a bush?

No, it's just satisfying to get to use really nice stuff.

6. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

+1 to that! Yeah, it might get lost, that's a risk with anything. The reality is that I'm GOING to beat the heck out of it. For that reason I usually buy knives in the $50 neighborhood, for that money I'll get something that's well made with good materials and I'll get a knife that will be a workhorse for many years. I have a hard time spending over a hundred on a knife because then I'm afraid to use it and ruin my investment. If I were wealthier, I'd probably carry something more expensive but I chop kindling with my CRKT folder by whacking it with another stick, and the knife is none the worse for it. Try that with your bargain pocket knife and let me know how it goes.

For $20 I can say I have a knife. For $100 I can look at a knife. Somewhere in the middle, I have a knife that will do what I ask of it and I don't feel bad about testing it's limits.

7. Authorized Personnel

Authorized Personnel Loaded Pockets

After reading through this thread, it seems to boil down to this question...

"Why doesn't everybody think like me?"

The answer is simply because we're different people. I can try to justify my thinking all day and the only people who will understand are those who think similar to me in the first place. Its a big world full of lots of different people with lots of different stories. We all have our reasons for what we value, and rational or not, they are ours. Just because I may not feel the same way as the next guy doesn't mean that he's wrong or I'm wrong, just that we're not the same person - and that's okay. That's why there are both cheap knives and expensive knives and just about everything in between. You find what works for you and you work with it.

8. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Big 10-4 on that! While I have several knives that cost the other side of $50 such as Benchmade Large Griptillian, SOG Twitch XL and such...

I got a little China made Sanrenmu 605 that is quite nice and am waiting on a Sanrenmu 763 axis and if it is as good as the reviews it MAY just end my hunt for the perfect one hand opener for MY needs! And neither one cost over 12 bucks.....

9. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

In keeping with my committment to buy only knives Made in USA, it's often tough to find folders in that price range, at least ones that I like. I did find that Kershaw carries a few in and around the $30.00 mark and less if you go for a blem. I often EDC a Kershaw (blem) Zing tanto that I purchased for $25.00 shipped.

10. Rob001

Rob001 Loaded Pockets

Quality, because you get what you pay for. Granted there are really good knives at or elbow $30.

11. crawdad62

crawdad62 Loaded Pockets

I'm a firefighter and I carry a multi-tool in my coat that I found on the highway one time. It's junk and I would bet it didn't cost 30 bucks. It has a brand name but I've never even bothered to look at what it was. But it works for what I want it for. The pliers can shut off a gas meter, the screw driver can take off an electrical outlet plate, the saw blade can cut through a seatbelt and best of all if I lose it I'm out......... nothing. That being said I just today received my Spyderco Caly 3 CF and man it's great.

12. ryanrhodes

ryanrhodes Empty Pockets

Well knives are pretty :censored: cool and they are useful for many tasks.

And if it is something useful and something I think is cool then I don't mind spending extra money on it.

I think people pay higher prices for the reliability of a brand design or steel type and after getting bit(CUT) by the knifebug it's hard to not envy the attention to detail knife makers put into their knives and that usually comes with a higher price tag.

That being said, I think one of the coolest things someone can say about a knife is, "I've carried this knife with me everyday for 20 years, put it through hell, and it still gets the job done."

So I wouldn't mind spending $100-150 on a knife that can last that long.

As of now I only have 2 knives. A $50 and $80 knife. I've put one through hell and the other is more of a keychain knife.

13. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

At this point the only way I can see spending more than 30 would be for a GEC Slippy or a Spyderco Sage CF like the one I got to try out in a pass around.

I got my Sanrenmu GB-763 today and what a 13 dollar knife it is!

14. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Answer is plain and simple, man jewelry. Same goes for expensive cars, clothing, watches, when a cheap one would be just as functional.

15. calebklyne

calebklyne Loaded Pockets

God forbid anybody should be allowed to enjoy and appreciate something useful and pay more than 30 dollars for it

16. ryanrhodes

ryanrhodes Empty Pockets

Thanks to this thread! I start digging for cheap knives!

Sanrenmu, Bee, and Navy are Chinese brand knives.

The Sanrenmu 710 is a $10-15 dollar knife. Mimics the design of Sebenza, $300-500 knives.

Basically the design of a $300-500 knife, the blade material of a $50-60 dollar knife, but for only $15.

I ordered one off of Ebay 10 seconds ago. give them a look man.

17. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I own a '69 Mustang. I want a Lambo. What is wrong with that? Now we have cheap snobbery?

Stang is below
    .here

18. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

It's not as if I don't DESIRE plenty of Knives and Flashlights over $30...

It's just I CAN find things that work for me at lower prices!

19. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

I know right? Jeeze didn't really see anyone being a snob on this thread or even on this forum. But I guess if you own a sebbie or sig you're just automatically a snob. Guess what, I own both a sebbie and sig. Guess that makes me a super snob!

20. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

Try not to and here are a cupple of reasons why...

Ontario RAT 1

Boker Lord, Burl Handle, Damascus Blade

SANRENMU 763 Axis Lock

All under 30 bucks!