1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why do you own a firearm?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by jda, Aug 26, 2010.

1. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

For me it is because it is my god given right as a human being (note how I did not say american)
    it is also the single most effective way to stop a violent attacker.
    last it is a way of life, I was brought up around firearms. Until I was about 9 I thought that everyone had guns.

I do not hunt, a firearm is not (for me) a way to secure food. It is a weapon, no more no less.

Why do you personaly own a firearm?

2. jwhite75

jwhite75 Loaded Pockets

I carry a firearm on my person, because I work in LE and have seen the evil that is walking among us every day. I know I do not have to search it out...it will find me, when I least expect it or am not as prepared as I would like to be. I have a beautiful loving wife who I hope to have children with some day, and I will fight to the death to protect her and later them. With situational awareness, training and absolute resolve, my gun may allow me to fight to my attacker's injury or death and not my own. I own shotguns and rifles for hunting and sporting purposes, because I like venison and wild turkey, and it is my God Given right to own these things and shoot them for survival, sustenance and sport. God Bless America.

3. dieselgeek

dieselgeek Loaded Pockets

Are you allowed to own a firearm? You're 15 and live in NY?

I'm not sure about long guns though. That's all I could find.

Any way I carry/own to protect myself incase it's ever needed. I was also raised around firearms and never felt they were a "bad thing" Some parents teach there kids that guns are evil.

4. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

legaly they are my parents, I pay for them and store them.

handguns and long guns are basicly the same, a parent needs to be present while you shoot.

never could understand parents who taught there kids that guns are taboo, as taboos are a attraction to most kids.

5. DaPro

DaPro Loaded Pockets

Hunting (meat hunter, not horn)
    Personal protection
    Enjoy shooting

6. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I believe that every good citizen who can physically, mentally, emotionally and legally do so should own guns and train with them. It behooves us to be equipped (and, it needs to be said again, trained) to protect ourselves, our families and our neighbors. The shooting sports require physical and mental discipline, the learning of which makes for people that I like to be around. There are other reasons, but those are the top two for me.

7. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I don't guess I've given it a lot of deep thought. Mainly because I used to own a lot more when I was a cop (so the reason then was that it was a tool of the trade), and after I changed jobs about 18 years ago I kept a couple because the wife made me.

I suppose now the reason I keep them is for home defense purposes. Shotgun and a couple of pistols.

I don't hunt either.

8. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Well, I got mine when i was six years old like many in the part of the country I was in back in the 60s. While guns were used for hunting in my area they were used slightly more for pest control. Snakes, not for defense against snakes but for when they were getting around chicken coups. Then there are coyote that kill many animals and a few other uses. There was also frequent rabies scares when I was growing up but I have not heard of a case of rabies in a long time. Frequently on pest control you didn't have to actually shoot the animal as it seems they learned how dangerous man is. After one or two pests are taken many creatures would give a wide berth to the property for awhile or would flee at the first sight of a person. Sometimes sending a bullet into the dirt near by would get them to find other places to go. I was also in a shooting once a decade ago.

9. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

I am also in LE, and a hunter, and could not have put this any better. I do have a child and hopefully another one in the future. I vowed when I got married to be the protector of my household. And yes, I would die before letting anyone hurt my family.

10. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

because I like to shoot

11. wonderingson

wonderingson Empty Pockets

I didnt own a gun untill I got married and had a beautiful little girl. I didnt really understand how much I could love someone untill i had them both under one roof. My responsibilities as a husband and a father is to be a provider, protector, defender, to name a few. I have the last word on me at all times to those that would threaten the loves of my life.
    [​IMG]

12. Tradecraft

Tradecraft Banned

Because it is the ultimate force multiplier!

:lolhammer::lolhammer::lolhammer::lolhammer::lolhammer:

13. rabidchicken

rabidchicken Loaded Pockets

I am right there with you. I have always owned guns, but it wasn't until my son was born that I decided it was time for my concealed weapons license. Ever since he was born I carry 24/7.
    [​IMG]

14. nfa

nfa Empty Pockets

I own firearms for a number of reasons:

1. hunting
    2. recreation/fun
    3. defense/safety

Jamie - nfa

15. mpi

mpi Loaded Pockets

I grew up on a farm in northern WV in the 60's, guns have been a part of my life since i was a very small child.

I also had a career in LEO and after some of the things i have seen, i would never go unarmed!

16. mkphc

mkphc Loaded Pockets

Amen
    I carried for years, then never renewed my ccw,
    then one day at walmart under the fireworks tent in the parking lot an older gentelman (read screwball) was sitting down on a curb (between me and my family) and his ankle gun was peeking out of his pants leg, and the clerk said "sir you had better hide that" and he said" thats nothing, I got another BIG one under my arm here look"

Like I said , he was in between me and my family, and all I had was my Mini Canadian, if he had an inklining to he could have done anything he wanted to do, and I would have had no way of stiopping him. without the two guns I could have broken him in half.

The next day I went to the sherrif's dept and got my ccw, I never leave home w/o packing heat. espically with my family.

17. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

So I can shoot things when the situation calls for it.

18. FreestyleAssassin

FreestyleAssassin Empty Pockets

Because I believe that one should not subordinate their responsibility to act as their own first line of defense!

The more responsibilities such as these that we subordinate the less we become FREE persons.

19. dallasdeadeye

dallasdeadeye Loaded Pockets

self defense. criminals, have them. and the only way to defend against a handgun is another handgun.

20. 3fgburner

3fgburner Loaded Pockets

What'chu mean, A firearm, kemosabe? Counting 2 CO2 pistols and 7 black powder, I've got 35. I don't hunt, but do collect guns, reenact / do living history, shoot rifle / pistol / shotgun targets, and keep and bear arms for self-defense.