1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why do you EDC?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by warren55, Aug 16, 2010.

1. randal

randal Loaded Pockets

I EDC because of several reasons:

- I work international, often in 3rd world countries. What I have on me and in my BOB is all I can count on if *****. There isn't 911 in most places that I work
    - 20 years in EMS taught me that what I can count on having is what I have on my person. When you need to cut a pair of jeans off a trauma victim, that is not the time to remember that your shears are back at the station or in the unit. Same with flashlights and other tools.
    - Survival is an everday thing. It may not be a nuclear bomb but something as simple as a flat tire in the middle of nowhere. It may be the tornado that comes through town and you are left with only what you have on your back and in your pockets. Like someone said, I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    -And I enjoy EDC. The planning, shopping, purchasing, etc. You end up with your toys that actually have real life applications. Pretty cool
    - It may be a compulsion that I can't control. My wife things I have a bag and pelican case fetish.

2. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

Why do you EDC?: jehan60188 Vs dmattaponi regarding Terrorism

Have you not seen Red Dawn?!

serious answer: you seem to think EDCers are paranoid bunch. some may be. Others just like being prepared for the unknown more than they dislike the convenience of carrying a backpack around. Yes, some take it to what seems like an extreme to others. But we don't know where they're coming from.
    And yes, a credit card/spare check/cash can be useful. But not nearly as useful as the feeling of satisfaction that comes from solving a problem on ones own. Though, I do find it odd that your credit card has never been not accepted (some places still are cash-only). Clearly, you need to go on some more interesting road trips =0P

I enjoy an occasional cigar, or pipe. It's more convenient to carry proper wooden matches, a mini-bic or a split pea lighter than it is to deal with those cheap cardboard matches you get at bars, or have to buy another mini-bic only to toss it in a drawer full of once-used items.
    I volunteer at a middle school in an after school program. During winter, when class is done, it's dark. I go through an "alley" between some of the trailers. It saves a couple minutes of walking, but it's poorly lit. So, every night, I take out a flashlight, and step over spilled food, dog droppings, a kids shoe (seriously, I've seen all this stuff in that alley).

Sure, to me, carrying an israeli bandage isn't practical. But (like you) my day-to-day life doesn't take me to far from emergency services.

Also, I'm happy that you're well off enough to be able to live in a neighborhood that doesn't have crime, but not everyone is as well off as you. Not everyone can just "move to the good side of town". College students, for example. Or even grown adults that have hit a few snags in life.

Also, you don't even carry a pen? Using 'common' pens at checkouts to sign CC (the occasional analog) receipts is a great way to spread germs. Also, no grown man should be without a pen. It's small, unobtrusive, and useful! I'm the guy in line behind you that scoffs at your unpreparedness as you eye the pen in my front-shirt-pocket. I say "it's a delicate fountain pen, so no, you can't borrow it" and then you run off leaving an unsigned receipt in the till; classy.
    So, sure if you wear cutoff jean-shorts, and t-shirts all day, then of course you can't carry anything useful. But if you care about how you look, the amount you can carry increases simply by the design of most not-junky men's clothing. It would be silly not to use it, when using it is so unobtrusive.

Also, @ randal: http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/73670-god-i-love-my-pelican-1030

Also, for those thinking they can rely on their cell phone in times of war/attacks- you don't think everyone and their mom is going to be doing the same thing? During Obama's inaugural address, cell phone service providers brought in mobile-towers to keep service up for everyone. There is a finite density of towers in any given area, and a finite capacity per tower. Your call will be one of 100s (1000s?) trying to get through to ones family (get walkie-talkies for that), or to emergency services (hopefully one of the people that DO get through will be trying to reach 911)

3. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

Some posts have been removed to avert a word war, & I remind you all that we're about civilized discussion.

Regards,
    --Moderator Boy SureFire
    [​IMG]

4. Uncle Zungle

Uncle Zungle Loaded Pockets

I started carrying my cubscout knife at about 7 years old (because I liked it and thought it was cool). Right from the start I carried it, used it and relied on it as needed. Things have grown from there over the last 4 decades.

5. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

Actually I have my own personal reason for EDC in addition to the preparedness mentality I subscribe to and in addition to the great points raised by others here .

You can call it (personal space) or (comfort zone) or whatever.
    It comes down to this ( do I have it or I don't ? )
    Let me explain.

We don't live alone in this world. At home, we have spouses and kids (maybe relatives too). At work we have colleagues, bosses and clients ..etc. These people have different mentalities and priorities. And sometime the differences are mind boggling, gut wrenching, brain blasting and nerve wrecking.

Once I found a room where we work, and that room was choke full of useful stuff. I thought of utilizing some extra space for our work and at the same time throw that stuff where it should belong. Lots of stuff was sent to maintenance dpartment. Some stuff (like books) was shifted to my office and so on. My colleague and I thought we found a treasure in that dump and decided to dig it to the end. The next 2 weeks i had a vacation but I thought, no problem, I will resume the cleanup when I come back.

Guess whet ?
    One of the bosses saw the potentail of that room (which was neglected for 10 years !! He ordered a hurricane-like cleanup and took the room for his own staff. After returning from vacation and seeing what happened , I felt disappointed for losing the room, but was devasted to lose all that useful stuff in there (including books for example). He just threw it in the garbage !!!

Morale of the story: if it wasn't in your pocket, it isn't there when you need it or want it.

At home or at work, don't ever think " you got " something if it was not in YOUR bag or pocket. I cannot remember how many times it was that I needed pliers at work and could not find it. My boss or colleague was too nice to turn away someone who is ill prepared and he lent him the pliers and it was gone. Ditto at home. She sometimes does not think we need this or that in our trip. So, sometimes she adds some clothes in my bag, sees a few things there, and removes them 'cause they 'take much room' !! Then we reach somewhere and I need it but cannot find it.

Now, I have MY OWN separate - support - bag ( in addition to the clothes bag ) when I travel or go anywhere. No one opens or checks MY EDC bag, and no one opens this support bag. It is no one's business but me. If I put a few chargers , a utility pouch, a med pouch , or whatever , no one asks me any questions or give any remarks because no one even knows whet I have put in there.

Believe me it is a big relief. In the past, I may put a charger for the media player ..etc. and receive some comments that it was not necessary because there will be many of them where we are going. When we reach there and there is none, I receive that (Oh, I thought they had one or two !!!)

Now, a colleague will not discuss or even know I have slip joint pliers in my office kit and a multitool in my work bag. It is no one's business but me. And when I need pliers I am sure 100% it is there , and not given to someone who had just left in vacation !!!

You can call it

... personal space
    ... piece of mind
    ... comfort zone

whatever it is called, I know now that when I need something it is there, no questions asked why it is there !
    It is my business and my business only.

What a relief !

6. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

My edc consists of besides keys, wallet and cell phone a Leatherman and a small flashlight both of which have gotten me out of minor jambs at different times, or allowed me to fix something that without them I wouldn't have. So if you think that not carrying anything is a good idea then don't come to me for help or look to borrow. At work on several occassions I hav been called McGyver but who does everyone come to when something needs fixing because I am the only person carrying a multitool. As for the flashlight my previous job was in a supermarket where every time the wind got a little too gusty the lights went out, who was the only to be able to continue working or light the way out of dark places me, so don't say you don't get why people edc different items.

7. MM2000

MM2000 Empty Pockets

I guess I'll answer that I like being able to take care of the simple problems that come up in everyday life. When I found this forum I already had 95% of my bases covered, but perfect EDC doesn't really exist. Every time I see someone using their keys as a knife or a screwdriver I am thankful that I have the right tool for the job more often than not.

8. bluesy_92

bluesy_92 Loaded Pockets

I started EDCing with an SAK, my first EDC item. At the time, it was VERY useful for my job, so is served me very well.

After that, I started collecting knives. Mostly SAK's, a Smith & Wesson, couple Gerbers.

Then, I expanded to ANYTHING useful...multitools, flash drives, carabiners, etc.

So, I went from one Victorinox to a beastly knife collection to full all-out EDC.

9. saataan

saataan Loaded Pockets

No, not really.
    Again, no.
    Thats a little bit more likely.
    Yes, i just feel more independent when carrying some useful stuff with me.
    If there was a pocket-size foldable motor home, i'd carry it, so i wouldn't need to go back home in the evening ;D
    Totally. I love MacGyver and everything he does.
    When it comes to computers, i am the go-to guy for my friends and family.
    Sometimes i visit someone, and he says "oh by the way could you take a look at my PC? its not working" or something like that. It's too bad that spare computer parts are
    too big to EDC, else i would carry a whole computer in parts.
    So i just like to be prepared for all those situations where the small, carryable stuff suffices.
    No. I feel uneasy when i don't carry my front-door keys, but thats the only item with that effect.
    Not knowing how to get into your own home just sucks.
    constantly break? no. need adjustment? sometimes.
    That's one thing i don't carry. I guess, here in germany, we use cash more often, and credit cards less often than americans.

I also am a gadget lover, but that only accounts for a small part of my desire to edc.
    Mostly its just that life is full of surprises, so you never know what you might need.
    And i feel bad every time i need an item that i own, but left at home. So i am trying to find the balance between the "left what i need at home" situation and the "pockets too full, need a backpack" situation.

Also, about being independent: i hate asking others for help, but i love giving help to others. So if anyone asks me for help in whatever situation, i want to be able to help.
    (95% of those will be a smoker asking for a ligher...)

10. RFA3

RFA3 Loaded Pockets

I EDC because i've never been the type to rely on others for the help of everyday tasks that by having the propper tools for are easely achievable in doing by myself.I enjoy the art of configuring my gear to be at a hands reach when needed and have to admit i'm a bit addicted to bags and cases of all sorts.I believe a pocket without at least a knife in it is useless not so much for defence but i find myself using my knife or multi tool at least ten times daily.I will admit that my time here spent on EDC FORUMS has informed me that carrying a flashlight daily is a good idea and my Surefire backup leaves my house in my pocket everyday.I don't believe in overkill but would rather have it and not need it.Plus i live in NEW YORK man,it's tough out there....enough said.

11. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I carry a SAK because I often need a screwdriver, magnifying glass, and scissors. Knife blade comes in handy to open mail, cut an apple, clean a fish. Pen because I use one often throughout the day both at work and at home. Moleskine because I often have reason to take notes or make a list, and I like having paper on my person. Flashlight to look at things in better light, to provide light when looking for things in darker areas, outside when taking a nightly walk, or when having a campfire in the backyard. Not to mention the power goes out every now and then. I've also had enough experience not having these items when I needed them that I've learned having these items on my person everyday can be a real convenience. I don't like a bunch of stuff weighing my pockets down, so I've tried to find items that are as small and light as possible, while still proving useful.

12. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I'll bet I had a different job when I last posted on this thread. I currently pilot a Freightliner around this country.

Many delivery and pickups happen when it's dark outside, so there is always a flashlight in my pocket and a back up on my key chain (and several others in the truck itself)

I carry three knives. A one hand AO SOG Twitch II is most often used to cut seals off trailer doors and strapping off trailer walls.
    A lock back Clip blade small trapper because I've had non locking blades close on me in use.

And a Scout knife because the punch on it helps fix broken and torn mud flaps on trailers.

I have a tool box with wrenches and such, and a container in the 'dog box' with pliers and stuff to cut metal seals.

And I am also of the school " 'tis better to have and not need than to need and not have"

13. Brewtality

Brewtality Empty Pockets

I EDC because sometimes I need stuff, and I like to have the stuff I need on me.

14. RGNY

RGNY Empty Pockets

i EDC because i'm a tool using primate.

and because without me, my non-EDC'ing coworkers would be confounded by such things as: heavily taped boxes, jammed staplers, loose screws, things lost in dark spaces under a desk and blackouts during generator tests.....

Sharps likes this.
  15. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Empty Pockets

I think the idea of being self sufficient when unexpected events occur is the real appeal to me. I just like the feeling that, A has just happened, good thing I'm carrying B to resolve A.

16. Flexxx

Flexxx BST/Marketplace ban

x2 and I enjoy it....

17. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

had training all week long. first thing we did was fill out forms.
    out of a class of fifteen, three had pens.

these were grown men (and two women), not middle schoolers. what really surprised me was that none of them seemed embarrassed about it.

18. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

Yeah, you bet, stay safe. I'm in da Bronx.

I EDC probably first because I like gadgets. Did not carry as much before joining EDCF, although for years I used to carry an SAK. Now I do again, along with other things. They come in handy. I don't carry a Wilderness Emergency Kit or a bag with gadgets and tools. But then, I don't spend most of my time outdoors.

Like the Boy Scouts say: Be Prepared!

19. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

I started edc'ing because I love knives, later I added a flashlight and a multitool, after I snapped a knife prying a crate I started carrying to knives and a prybar.

Now I won't leave my house without my gear

20. Straya

Straya Loaded Pockets

Because those around me do not.

Sharps likes this.