1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why do you edc a knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by _mg_, Oct 11, 2016.

1. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

While I agree with most of the above, I must reiterate that my folders are a last resort. I would also say that the Spaniards', French and Corsicans have been cutting each other to shreds for centuries with non-locking folding Laguioles. Man adapts.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  2. johnxx111

johnxx111 Empty Pockets

Because it comes in very useful for a multitude of things.

3. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod Loaded Pockets

I have a shooting instructor that teaches knife fighting and that one of the techniques he teaches. Stabbing motions have their place but slashing was most common when you are not in close or are defending.

4. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

That^right there....

(The whole world's gone soft that way)

Corgi likes this.
  5. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

Dont bother opening the knife, just wrap your fist around it properly then hit the blighter. Hit him fast, hard and right.

6. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

There's always the intimidation factor...

7. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I carry a knife because I find myself coming across things that need to be cleanly and quickly rent asunder often enough to justify carrying a tool to rend those things asunder quickly and cleanly.

I grew up in a town where a lot of the land is still cornfields most of the time, soybeans when the rotation calls for it, sometimes wheat in the winter, and occasionally a plot of tobacco here and there. Almost every grown man around here has a blade of some sort on his person. A majority of young men do as well, though that number is shrinking (probably proportionally to the shrinking interest in farming as a profession), and a lot of women also have a knife of one sort or another. It's normal here and I wouldn't want to live knife-free for any length of time. That might be because I've been carrying a knife wherever and whenever I can since I was seven or eight years old, though.

I recently got my significant other a knife of her own... I jokingly asked if she wanted a rainbow Kershaw Chive (she's not a girly girl at all, hence the joke) and she looked it up online and said she wanted one. So I got her her very own rainbow Chive. She has since gotten into the habit of slicing things that she would have torn apart or haphazardly used scissors on, and seems to enjoy the knife. I think she's hooked. I'm thinking I'll pick up a SAK for her next :)

8. mauiblue

mauiblue Loaded Pockets

I've carried a knife with me for years now (30+ years). If I didn't have one with me it was because I forgot it at home. There is always a job or something to use my knife for. I have a reputation of sorts that when someone needed something they would ask me for it as I am "Mr Gadget". From a flashlight to sewing needle or Band-Aid, I almost always had it with me. A knife is the most common tool to have with you. For a few years now, I actually carry two knives - one in a belt sheath and a smaller one in my front pocket.

_mg_ and Water-Rat like this.
  9. Nate C

Nate C Loaded Pockets

I was in high school and always had carried a knife just because my grandpa and uncle did. It was a little Buck 503. One day, at the mall, a little boy had his loose shoe laces caught in the escalator. It was pulling them tight, so tight we couldn't slip his shoe off and he became quite distraught. The little Buck cut his shoe laces and the boy walked out there, after buying new shoe laces!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David, Water-Rat and _mg_ like this.
  10. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Nice to meet another well-tutored student of Prof. Murphy!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I would no more walk out my front door without a knife than I would without my glasses, watch, wallet, keys, and pocket pen. In other words, "Never leave home without them!"

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  12. Piester

Piester Loaded Pockets

Cash only business makes me feel better with at least 1 in my pocket. Seems people who are scoping the shop out also notice pocket clips and such. That and I've carried since 95 give or take. I feel naked without one now. But the daily utility use of opening packages, cutting those nylon straps, and cutting apples and such.

13. Ippon

Ippon Loaded Pockets

I'm another who carries a knife out of traditon learned from my Gran-dad. I use a knife now for the normal EDC things, to play with when I"m bored, for work, for going outdoors and cutting things, the whole array of it. Leaving the house without a knife is like leaving without cloths. Sure you'll probably survive, but boy you'll feel uncomfortable.

14. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man Loaded Pockets

To make my life easier, and to to have something to fidget with when I'm bored.

_mg_ and lightmyfire13 like this.
  15. Jessie Carter

Jessie Carter Loaded Pockets

I cut stuff and I have a fondness for certain aesthetic styles.

_mg_ likes this.
  16. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I carry a SAK just in case I need to do something for which my bare hands are insufficient.

I carry a flashlight just in case I need to see something better.

I carry a pen because I often need to write on something and would rather have a nice pen than whatever happens to be lying around.

All of these things also give me something to play with when I might otherwise be bored.

The last reason is the best reason.

--flatline

_mg_, 313 and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  17. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

It began several decades ago when I began the habit as a way to defend myself from the predatory habits of the punks that were my classmates. The habit developed into a more-utility need over the years.

18. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

Sounds like you have a story that needs telling.

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk

19. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

I carry a knife to cut: tape, string, trailing threads on clothing, boxes, clamshell packaging, patch cables (I work in IT), food, emergency preparedness, etc.

10i likes this.