1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why do you edc a knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by _mg_, Oct 11, 2016.

1. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

"The knifeless Man is a lifeless Man."

Good steel and the ability to bring forth fire are the qualities that distinguish Man.

2. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

It is remarkable how many "tearable" packages don't.

thatotherguy, Dirty Rod, 313 and 2 others like this.
  3. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Because I find it practical for daily tasks, especially at work. I have zero desire to carry a heavy, bulky multi tool on my person.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DIlan and Buckeye Jake like this.
  4. Frailer

Frailer Loaded Pockets

I grew up away from extended family, so other men in the community served as substitute uncles. One such man was "Uncle Donnie." He was a true man's man; a welder at a coal mine and a gifted craftsman, he could make just about anything he needed. He was also the first man to take me squirrel hunting.

From the time I was about eight years old each Sunday at church Donnie would ask me if I had my knife with me, and I'd proudly pull it from my pocket to show him.

I've had one in my pocket every day of the 45 years since.

5. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Cuz I can't sing...

6. Flashman

Flashman Loaded Pockets

Tradition and cutting things. I find I use mine frequently. That being said, it is not a dedicated knife, but rather a blade on a keychain sized multi-tool (a Gerber Mini Suspension). Where I work, it would be frowned upon to pull out a big knife, but the little blade on my multi-tool may actually be less threatening than the blade on a small SAK. Noboday bats an eye when I pull it out to open a box or something.

If I didn't carry a multi-tool at work, it would definitely be a SAK.

If I didn't work, or worked somewhere else, it would probably be a traditional folder, maybe a Case or something.

_mg_ likes this.
  7. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

I think it's a shame that workplaces shame or even forbid knives. I won't work somewhere that won't allow me the basic freedom of carrying a blade of my choosing that falls within local knife regulations. That said, I am sensitive to others' discomfort, and I make an effort to use my SAK or slipjoint in the presence of others just so they are comfortable.

8. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Not just that but sometimes you don't need to cut something but it's better when you do. I don't have to cut off the top of a bag of chips but it's much neater and less likely to split down the side when cut open.

9. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Yes, for utility. I don't carry a knife for defense or disaster. I carry Victorinox SAKs and usually a small or medium sized Case slipjoint or something similar.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  10. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

Deleted.

11. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

Deleted.

12. plague112

plague112 Loaded Pockets

mostly because i just simply like knives and because i have a pocket on my pants. i seem to never need it when i carry one and if i do forget to take one with me i always need it for some reason. So i always bring it so i never need it. also i guess in a more emotional way, because i have one on me, everyone knows i do so its nice to be needed lol, not so much me but the knife

_mg_ likes this.
  13. DIlan

DIlan Loaded Pockets

I think it's matter of gentlmanism. In my opinion real man would always have to have 9(or 10) things with himself:
    1) Hand Watch - Because the real man is never late, has a sense of timing and shows that with his watch
    2) Pen - Because he knows that his signature is important and has something important to write down
    3) Torch - Because he sees his way while others wander in the dark
    4) Proper way/technic to respond to treat - Because nobody has right to take away your life
    5) Wallet - Because our wishes are not free
    6) Smartphone (nowadays) - Because it can inform your beloved ones that you are OK and as backup to 1,2,3,4 and 5
    7) Key - Because it's too obvious
    8) Knife - Because real man doesn't rip things like an animal
    9) Tissue/Handkerchief/Bandana - Because people get snotty nose and real gentleman is never snotty
    *10) Umbrella (if it rains) - Because real gentleman doesn't have wet clothes

14. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

Well said.

15. nmpops

nmpops Loaded Pockets

I'm 62 and have carried a pocket knife of some sort almost everyday of my life since I was 8. They do come in handy when you need to cut something! I started carrying a knife long before I ever heard of Multi-tools so I have never carried one. When I need pliers, I go to the tool box. I do often carry a Vic Spartan in addition to my daily carry Case Stockman.

captainamerica likes this.
  16. nmpops

nmpops Loaded Pockets

I'm 62 and have carried a pocket knife of some sort almost everyday of my life since I was 8. They do come in handy when you need to cut something! I started carrying a knife long before I ever heard of Multi-tools so I have never carried one. When I need pliers, I go to the tool box. I do often carry a Vic Spartan in addition to my daily carry Case Stockman.

_mg_ likes this.
  17. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I've carried some sort of knife since I was a kid and have used one almost daily for tasks that, while they could have/should have been handled by another tool, or was just handy for. I'm also at a point in my life where I can admit that my large folder is a back up weapon to my gun - I spent a lot of years downplaying this aspect in the interest of political correctness, but now I'm old and all out of f$&@s to give. My knife is 90% percent tool and 10% weapon, and if I ever need that 10% you can bet things are REALLY bad.

18. gadgetguy35

gadgetguy35 Loaded Pockets

I'm flat out sick of political correctness personally. People need to buck up and stop being so sensitive. Most of my knives are absolutely the worst thing you'd want to defend yourself with, yet if you can snap it open real fast people get scared. Like I'd ever try to defend myself with my Gerber Paraframe, lol. I have a larger fixed blade that I'd carry if I wanted to carry a self defense weapon, but like you charlie fox, I'd much rather carry my pistol for that.

The problem is that no one is actually educated on what knives are, how each locking and deployment mechanism functions, and so on. A liner locking folder is not a defense knife, and anyone with any practical knowledge of knives knows that. It could be used in a pinch, but it shouldn't be viewed as a threat in any way. Only an idiot would go on the offensive with a liner locking blade as their weapon of choice.

19. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

True. But then there are an awful lot of idiots out there.

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk

Corgi and captainamerica like this.
  20. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

Said idiot would indeed be barmy to entertain the notion to stab with a liner locking blade. However, could he not use a technique using draw cuts? Land enough of them and the bastard on the receiving end would keel over from the blood loss if not from anything else. A razor sharp knife gliding across an achilles or a vital artery would make even the strongest opponent ponder the wisdom of continuing the altercation. That said I have often promoted the idea that the most useful function carrying a knife into a knife fight is the redused weight you have as you throw the knife away, scream like a lady and run like the clappers away

Corgi, 0dBm and captainamerica like this.