1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why do so many of you state CONUS?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by aphex2k, Nov 7, 2010.

1. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Too much hassle. Even though all the necessary Customs forms etc. can be done on the USPS site, I still have to mail international parcels in person. That's where my time is worth more than the transaction.

2. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

I've done out-of-country deals three times, & it's the Custom's paper work /legalities that kills me... I'll ship anywhere in the USA without jacking up the price, but even with flat rate it can $$ sending stuff...

3. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

On eBay, I used to sell internationally, but after having three international sales in the same week, doing all this paperwork for a sale to Poland, Switzerland, and Australia, and not charging any extra for shipping, I decided to not ship internationally since then. Customs sheets are annoying, and when I'm gaining such small profit as it is, it's not worth it. The opportunity cost didn't pay off.

4. anywayoutside

anywayoutside Loaded Pockets

It's simple math for me. I have shipped many times to Oz, Uk and Japan, but only because the cost of the items warranted my additional attention. With a CONUS shipment I can set up priority mail to pickup at my door. I don't consider it lazy - I consider my time valuable. I have shipped items for friends in Oz on several occasions at no profit to me. They needed someone to ship for them. I did. Shipping internationally, without fail, would take a minimum of 1 hour additional over a CONUS shipment for me due to the 5-20 minutes of paperwork (depends on the weight of the box) plus the trip to the post office. At times I have felt bad not offering to ship internationally but I have to draw a line for myself.

Cheers! Just my 2 cents.

5. savage_here

savage_here Loaded Pockets

Just to add..

Most of this has been said in various ways, but I'll add my part. Over the past 4 years or so I've shipped somewhere in the neighborhood of 2500 packages and the distribution has been roughly 50/50 domestic and international. Of those, exactly 1 has been lost domestically. The current count is 9 that have been lost internationally.

Now, 9 may not seem like many in the grand scheme of things and really isn't given the sample size. However, I've had to replace all 9.

Part of the issue lies in the way they were shipped. Registered Mail is the safest way to ship internationally via USPS. But, it's the most laborious as well. I ship via USPS Registered Mail with Return Receipt. That means I have to write the address on the package, the customs form, the Registered Mail form and the Return Receipt card. Have you seen some of these international addresses??? Writing it four times is a pain, plain and simple. Then I have to close every seam of the package with paper tape that has adhesive on the back activated by water. Again, major pain. Then I have to go to the Post Office, stand in line for 10-60 minutes depending on traffic and then wait another 5-10 minutes while the clerk figures out how to process an international package.

Plus, Registered Mail is indemnity only. So, you can't insure per se. The indemnity is capped at a certain level, I think it's around $50 or so, but can't actually remember. Couple that with the fact that most international customers want the packages declared as gifts with low valuation because of Customs duties, etc. you end up with basically an uninsurable shipment.

Finally, the delivery times vary insanely. Sometimes only a week or 10 days, sometimes 6 weeks depending on how long they sit at the customs office in the city/state/country.

Now, because of what I'm shipping and my own personal philosophy, I've decided to take on these risks and inconveniences. But, to question why somebody who is only selling an item or two would not want to take this on is just silly. I'm sorry that reasonable countries get tarred with the same brush as unreasonable. But, you can plainly see why somebody would want to just say CONUS and be done with it.

As an aside, I cannot tell you how many times over the last year I've had ebay auctions that clearly stated CONUS only end up with high bidders that are international.

Anyway, hope this sheds some additional light.

Savage

6. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

agree with Jon.

I live in the Middle East and have ordered many books and other stuff from the U.S. Sometimes it was a breeze, and sometimes it was such a long wait (several months) that I felt like forgetting about it and making a new order.

Like many international shoppers, I have been thinking about this CONUS things ( and BTW, I understand your pains with international orders, don't blame you a bit).

So, I am thinking these days to get around the CONUS thing by having an account with a local mail forwarding company that will give me a U.S. address.

Problem solved, and everyone is happy... or less frustrated.

7. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

LOL.... Y'know I never realised that. Only been here a year. Problem with that is you can't prove it's been posted. I like getting a receipt, factoring in insurance and getting it done at the post office, the good old fashioned way, with (some kind of) human interaction.

People need to bear in mind that shiny little things tend to cost a lot more in Oz, and even if people do bump up the price to factor in international shipping, we're still probably saving heaps. Don't discount us and a little walk to the shops. What's the point EDC'ing if you never leave the house? LOL!

8. illusion

illusion Loaded Pockets

its farly frustrating when you find something cool and its reads CONUS, been there done that.. I understand the hassle for people filling out the papers.

Just wanted to let you know that many international customers will pay extra to get the item they want.. I have several times paid more in shipping then the actually price for the item. Sometimes the value of an item can not be put in $, when you cant get that item back home..

Just my 2 cent on the topic :)

9. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

I don't think the form is THAT bad... I've posted stuff back to the UK and the form took a minute or two out of my day. Still, it's your choice as a seller. It was just a suggestion that if you wanna make a sale, sometimes you have to go the extra click.

10. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

Shipping Internationally

I just wanted to make a thread about shipping internationally on the BST forum. There are a lot of people on edcforums.com that live outside of the US and want to purchase things through the forum, but can't because the sellers ship CONUS only. I just wanted to emphasize how easy it is to ship internationally, and how great it is for sales when you're trying to sell something and nobody seems to be interested!

I just sold a UKPK to england, and the buyer commented that 90% of the sales threads are for conus only, often for things that he would be interested in purchasing but couldn't because the seller wouldn't ship overseas.

Here is what I do. I haven't had any problems shipping to another country in probably 10+ transactions on forums and on ebay, but I still state that it's the buyer's responsibility to know their laws and that I'm not responsible if the package is seized by customs/gets lost in the mail. I also ask how the buyer wants the customs form filled out with regards to gift/not gift and value of the object-usually they have no preference but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Shipping itself is a piece of cake and not nearly as expensive as I thought it was when I first started selling overseas. To ship the UKPK to England was something like $4, and Canada and western Europe all seem to be similar.

All in all I would highly recommend those people hesitant to sell overseas to try it out! It will improve your chances of selling/trading tremendously and it is not as difficult as it might seem.

I'd also be interested in hearing about any bad experiences selling internationally. The worst that has happened to me is that a package took longer than expected to reach Sweden, but everything I've ever shipped abroad arrived just fine (and I've mostly send knives abroad).

11. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

Thanks for posting this.
    To be honest, I find that US COMPANIES, rather than individuals, are the worst offenders when it comes to NOT shipping to the UK.

Ive bought & sold on BST & sent & received parcels with no problems, but there are some GREAT gear manufacturers out there who either wont ship or make it prohibitively expensive to buy from them. This is a great shame, but ultimately THEIR loss.

12. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

That is actually why I thought that shipping internationally was expensive. I would see prices like $30 or something ridiculous for a small package and thought it just cost that much. I used to use priority mail packages where it was $12.50 anywhere in the world, because it never even crossed my mind to ship in a bubble mailer until someone asked-and I was amazed that you can ship things like knives for very little money.

13. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

Threads of similar topic merged.

Thanks,
    The Very Sleepy Moderative Power BSF

14. medic808

medic808 Loaded Pockets

+1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aloha from Hawaii

15. aldo_vic_t

aldo_vic_t Loaded Pockets

16. viix

viix Loaded Pockets

I agree that there are some concerns and risk shipping internationally, besides the hassle and custom issues involved.
    But there are many things that aren't available locally, and the only source available is online in the US.

Just today I attempted to reorder from Ron's firesteel.com only to discover they have discontinued shipping to this side of the globe~ =(

I live in Singapore, a small country with 4-5 million population right smack in asia where there is little crime compared to most of the world. It's a small autocratic country that most people have not heard of.
    Yet being in Asia, sellers often associate and exercise caution with regards to scams when I attempt to order certain stuff. (those who have traveled to this part of asia would know how strict and fast our government response to crime.)
    I don't blame the sellers, but hope sellers and more US stores would ship over to our tiny country here so we do not have to resort to forking exorbitant rate for niche items not available because of our small domestic consumption of consumer goods.

thankfully Jon's store and a few others retailers do, I hope more would join in and open up your sales to us!

17. aldo_vic_t

aldo_vic_t Loaded Pockets

(Sigh!) (Again)

18. DESTRO

DESTRO Loaded Pockets

I understand completely what CONUS means. With that said do you think that shipping to someone at an APO/FPO address would be out of the question? I know it still requires a trip to the post office and filling out the small customs form. We know the cost of a Flat Rate container, variable Priority Mail or the dreaded Parcel Post so that could take some of the headache out of shipping charges. I ship a lot of boxes back to the States so I get to see the process all of the time. I would never ask someone to send anything that would be considered illegal in my country and it is to bad that all of the people buying over the web are not that considerate.

Sometimes I feel rather put out by some of the rude replies I get when I even attempt to ask a seller about shipping to APO/FPO addresses.

19. ScottAW

ScottAW Loaded Pockets

I rarely ship overseas, mostly due to fear of goofy laws, but afo works just like sending it down the street, super easy.