1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why do people love the Space Pen?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Dedrich, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

Just got the jotter, and agree at least that it's not a great grip...

2. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

I tried to put the fisher fine refill into a zebra f-402 and of course it didn't work b/c the hole isn't big enough.

Question: can you take the tip of the 701 and screw it into the 402?

I don't have any real tools to make the hole of the 402 bigger, though think that would be a great Fisher-refilled pen if it worked...

3. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Huh - it's good to know the Fisher fine refill won't fit.

And yes, the heads on the F-701 and F-402 are interchangeable.

Dedrich likes this.
  4. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

I ordered a 701 to see if I can use it's tip, and also to try out the 701 itself.

From obsessing over knives, to flashlights, now to pens. Does it ever end?

Sachsen likes this.
  5. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nope, never does - you have been warned. ;)

kd7dvd, Dedrich and CatsTide like this.
  6. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

tmedina now I'm curious about the AG7 vs the CH4. My main issue about the Jotter is that it's really quite narrow. I can see why people like the Zebra's, they have a better form factor (for my tastes at least).

Questions:
    - how do the AG7 and CH4 compare to the Parker Jotter in terms of thick / thinness
    - how do the AG7 and CH4 compare to one another? Is the price difference worth the AG7? of the two, which one has a thicker body?

Thanks!

7. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

Double post, sorry!

8. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's part of why the Jotter gives me finger cramps when I try to use it - never mind if my fingers are sweaty, damp, or dusty.

I don't have either the AG7 or CH4 (Fisher space pen models, if anyone's curious), so I can't compare them - although if the tip thickness is comparable to the bullet pen, they probably won't be nearly as uncomfortable to write with.

That said, they follow the standard brass with chrome plating, which may or may not last well under heavy use.

Dedrich likes this.
  9. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

I guess what I'm looking for is the most comfortable clicky-pen that uses Fisher refills, and ideally that doesn't require difficult modding. I love the telescoping pen and also would like one that's full sized. Are all roads pointing to a 701 modded?

10. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't remember - did you get and try the Cap-o-matic pen? It's full-size and it takes a Fisher cartridge with no mods.

I'm guessing you don't want to pay the going rate for tactical pens? :D

11. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

I didn't try the cap-o-matic yet.
    And nope, not interested in an expensive tactical pen.

12. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

The Cap-o-matic is your best bet, then - the Zebra mod isn't difficult, but the result isn't awe-inspiring, at least not for me.

The Fisher pens might work as well, but those tend to be $30 and up - at which point, you might as well splurge on a quality small-run pen.

13. Sachsen

Sachsen Loaded Pockets

I love my cap-o-matic. I have it loaded with a Fisher fine refill. I also have a bullet, but that is strictly a pocket pen. My cap-o-matic stays in my EDC notebook cover always.

The only problem with the cap-o-matic is when you let someone else use it -- they always want to try and take the cap off and can't figure out how it works! :p

thatotherguy likes this.
  14. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

It's the Cap-o-matic's lack of a click that kills me. I dunno why - I like that solid "click" on a retractable pen.

15. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

As writing experience, in my eyes Fishers are fairly poor tbh - they write like a basic ballpoint (pretty rough and ready when you are used to nicer rollerballs or gel pens) and are not the best at putting down a solid line to start with. I will also agree that the clips are a poor design and come off very easily, and they are the perfect size and shape for slipping out of a pocket and vanishing into the mist...

Yet I still carry one constantly, because as poor as they are in some regards, A great size stowed for pocket carry, yet a 'proper' size opened, pretty much bombproof and will put down a line pretty much anywhere reliably. So while I have much nicer pens that sit at my desk at work or home for proper writing, for quick notes out and about I have yet to find something else that compares in the ways that matter to me.

16. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

Clearly, I'm new to the Fisher experience and only have 2-ish space pens: the telescoping pen and a Parker Jotter with a Fine Red Fisher refill.

Of the two, the telescoping pen (as it came - medium) is a dream to write with. Ink flows perfectly, the form of the pen is wonderful, I really enjoy using it.

The Parker Jotter on the other hand is not great. First I don't like the form of the pen itself - which is too narrow to hold comfortably (my hands aren't large, but aren't small either). Next, the fine fisher refill doesn't flow as smoothly, doesn't start right away as fisher is supposed (not like I'm drawing scratch circles to get it going), and generally is an exceptionally mediocre experience overall.

I've had a lot of fountain pens and with some fine tips found them to be "scritchy" which is a bit how the Jotter + fine refill feel to me.

Hands down the telescoping pen is the winner for me thus far. I have a cap-o-matic on the way and I'm eyeing the Retrakt pen - which I'd probably use with a medium fisher refill.

Last edited by Dedrich, Dec 30, 2014
    Sachsen and tmedina like this.
  17. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Just had a minor fail-,would not write on back of credit card and another card type plastic... Not a serious problem, just reporting

18. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Honestly, the space pen is a glorified ballpoint pen - it won't write on surfaces that a ballpoint couldn't normally write on.

For things like bank cards or other forms of hard plastic, I'd grab a permanent marker.

Tony Sal likes this.
  19. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I like sharpies for signing credit cards.

--flatline

fourSAK likes this.
  20. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

Got the matte black "military" cap-o-matic yesterday. It's nice, a little thicker than the Jotter which I like, but still wish it were thicker. I like the thickness of the telescoping pen. Zebra 701 got lost in the mail (Amazon said delivered, but hasn't been delivered) - it would be ironic if my perfect Fisher pen ends up being the modified 701 / 402, something I was hoping to avoid having to do.