1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why do people love the Space Pen?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Dedrich, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Marriedinorlando

Marriedinorlando Empty Pockets

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Pentel Energel.

I've purchased perhaps every pen currently available at office supply stores as well as many that aren't at places such as jetpens which has imported from Japan pens. I own multiple space pens...not my favorite at all. They lay down a skipping non-consistent line for this lefty. Though I do have one in my Maxpedition EDC bag for those properties mentioned by others.

For the best disposable pen I've currently found you may want to grab a pack of Pentel Energel in .7mm with caps. Don't go smaller and don't go clicky. It puts down the blackest, best line I've seen in a while. Just my personal mileage. Reviews on the pen on Amazon are also favorable especially for us lefties. Buy the capped version for carry. The ink in the clicks can wick into clothing. I ruined 2 pair of shorts before I learned my lesson.

I've really purchased every pen over the years. It's a personal challenge to find the better mousetrap for me. Zebras are very good but I don't prefer as a lefty.

2. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

Not all Fisher pens are the bullet type. Here is my Fisher next to a Zebra. I really like the Fisher.
    [​IMG]

kikaida and Dedrich like this.
  3. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

Which model of fisher is that?

4. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

The Fisher Futura - very sexy pen, so naturally they discontinued it.

C.Boland93 and Orlando Marquez like this.
  5. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I no longer care to own, carry, or use the Fisher Space pen because I have found other pens that are better.

6. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

What vendors and why are they better?

Sent from my HTC One via Crapatalk

HimalayanHitman and tmedina like this.
  7. CStew

CStew Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Recycled pic but I carry 2 space pens.

citoman305 likes this.
  8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Surefire EWP-02 - It is a one-piece, full-sized model with a "clickie" and a stainless-steel end. I have owned, carried and used it for over 8 years. It is a simple design that has not malfunctioned. It has a hard anodized finish and a robust stainless-steel pocket clip.
    Maxmadco - stainless steel model - It is a one-piece, full-sized model with a bolt-type actuator. I have owned, carried and used it for over 3 years. It is a simple design that has not malfunctioned.
    Victorinox - limited edition, stainless steel, Parker-type, two-piece twist design. I have owned, carried and used it for over 15 years. It is a simple design that has not malfunctioned.

I have found these models to be superior to the Fisher offerings that I have owned because their clips have not fallen-off, they are full-sized, their finish have not chipped or eroded, they have not malfunctioned, and they have not fallen apart.

hal_chase and tmedina like this.
  9. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Oooh, that's nice to know - I keep eyeing the Surefire pen(s) from time to time.

0dBm - can you use a Fisher refill in your Surefire pen, or no?

Sorry if I mangled the tagging.

Last edited by tmedina, Dec 24, 2014
  10. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I have not tried installing the Fisher cartridge in the EWP-02. I'm a die-hard Parker pen cartridge user.

tmedina likes this.
  11. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

That works too - thanks! :D

12. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Why? Because they write any where, any time, and just about any condition. And my wife has "accidentally" washed and dried it many times over because the pen is in my should pocket, so she forgets about it all the time. After all that abuse, it still writes fine. Can't say that about many other pens at this price range. I'll take it over a hundred dollar tactical pen any day. And this is the all metal model clicky. No problems with the clip whatsoever. There are many models of space pens, and I had a cheaper one once ($6), and that one did eventually break. But this one ($9) has been great and reliable.

[​IMG]

tmedina likes this.
  13. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

You have to admit, that's a major plus - especially when you think about how many ACU tops get killed by forgetting to check the pen pockets. :censored:

kikaida likes this.
  14. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I concur with the above posts. The Fisher pen is not meant to be a superb writing experience in a ballpoint. It was meant to be reliable as all get out- somewhat the pencil's inky substitute. It writes just about anywhere, the ink is permanent, it writes consistently enough to always be readable, it's smooth enough to write for long periods without hand cramps (I've done it many times), you can write at any angle, in any weather or underwater, at any temperature. Basically, this refill can survive and function in just about any environment or situation that the human body can withstand. If you can write, it will keep up. A few of mine have been washed and dried more than once with no ill effects.
    I have a Fisher refill in a Parker Jotter, two Fisher Cap-O-Matics and a Fisher powered Schrade tactical pen. Those all get rotated through. I learned to never loan a nice pen out when a friend yanked the cap off of my first, two year old, second refill carrying, heavily used Cap-O-Matic (no fault of the pen). I used the first Cap-O-Matic daily for about a year and a half, using up one full refill and about half of another in that time. I love these pens for their reliability. They've never let me down when I needed to write something, no matter how cold, wet, hot, upside down, horizontal or whatever I needed to write.
    For the record, I am in no way affiliated with the Fisher company. I'm just a happy customer.

kikaida likes this.
  15. Soup dragon

Soup dragon Loaded Pockets

I have a fisher clipped in my wallet and take great delight in using it to sign a cheque when the pen offered by the waiter invariably fails to write. My every day writer is typically a Parker Jotter with a gel insert.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tmedina likes this.
  16. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

The best ever pen to easily lose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmedina likes this.
  17. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

I think the last time I lost one was because I was using the clip. Free-floating in the thigh pocket and it's never shown any desire to run away and join the circus.

ATB,
    Sam

mbick likes this.
  18. MichiganMan

MichiganMan Loaded Pockets

I'm surprised no one has brought up the Zebra F-701 Space Pen mod. It's cheap, easy to do, and gives you all the benefits of a Space Pen in the Zebra F-701's body. I have six 701's that I've customized with the Space Pen and F-402 stainless steel clicky mods. They're strategically kept in places like my coat pocket, car, file binder, etc, where I might need a bullet proof writer that looks nice and doesn't cost so much that I would have a panic attack if it somehow disappeared (Maxmadco, I'm looking at you) However, having "made" them, I do have a bit of an emotional investment (IKEA effect) and therefore still get a little thrill whenever I use one.

They're no gel writers to be sure, but I think some might overstate how poor the experience of writing with one is. Remember, ball point pens have actually come quite a ways from the bad old days and our expectations, perhaps imperceptibly, have risen to where what was previously good is now barely acceptable, and that may not always be fair. Writing with a Fisher Space Pen cartridge is like writing with a decent 1980's ball point, think 1985 Parker Jotter. But its a ball point you can pick up and know it will write when its ten degrees below zero and its been sitting unused for twenty years, under water, on glossy or greasy paper, and it will write that way for over two miles.

That is why I love the Fisher Space Pen.

thatotherguy likes this.
  19. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

Can you recommend the easiest way to mod a 701 with a Fisher insert?

20. MichiganMan

MichiganMan Loaded Pockets

I came upon a page that nicely summed up the process but the forum software won't let me post the URL :nah_disagree:

You can find it if you just Google: The Space Zebra F-7401 | Penthusiast

And then I've said quite a bit previously that isn't nearly as nice of a read but has a few tips from experience (sorry about its length, I get rolling sometimes and lose track of when to shut up):

http://edcforums.com/threads/need-a-good-inexpensive-pen.94556/page-4#post-1308607

Its actually a fun little mod to do. :)

Last edited by MichiganMan, Dec 24, 2014
    AK Adventurer likes this.