1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why do people love the Space Pen?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Dedrich, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

I have never found a good use for clips on pens to begin with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Sal likes this.
  2. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I never wanted the clip but I got it as an afterthought (pen rolls :) )
    I found the position I liked, and pushed it down like a #$#@/#! $!
    I couldn't remove it if I wanted to, so ........
    It has never moved yet...

echo victor likes this.
  3. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

If you have a matte finish pen, the clip stays on fine. If you have a chrome pen, then I've seen suggestions from folks to use a file to roughen the surface and then put the clip back on and drip super glue into it, but I've never actually tried it (my chrome bullet did not come with a clip).

Tony Sal likes this.
  4. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I use the clips on my EDC pens. They clip right into my phone holster. In fact, I would go so far as to say that a reliable clip is the second most important criterion for me when I'm choosing a pen to EDC (length is first...a regular length pen won't sit flush when clipped into my phone holster).

On most other pens, I appreciate the clip because it prevents the pen from rolling away when I set it on an incline, but other that that, they get no use.

--flatline

Tony Sal likes this.
  5. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Yes matte finish- Gorilla Glue and it will Never move again. Just a drop, it expands like the stuff you squirt into walls (but a sharp little SAK blade can trim it)

6. Mr.Fox

Mr.Fox Loaded Pockets

Space Pens are awesome and I don't even own one.
    You should check out their website, and find some stories!

But you could always be the guy who buys those tactical UZI pens!

Tony Sal likes this.
  7. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I always wanted one of those but I saw a photo across some guy's hand- looked like 6in long!

8. FateOne

FateOne Loaded Pockets

Diplomat pens of Germany has a pen called the Spacetec A1. It is the same as the Fisher original astronaut pen but lacks the uncomfortable grip ridges. In addition to a polished chrome it comes in a matte chrome bead blasted type finish. I believe they may even be made by Fisher. I wish I could find one in the US!

Tony Sal likes this.
  9. sino2

sino2 Loaded Pockets

A German Amazonreviewer says the Diplmat Spacetec is Licenced by Fisher for Dipolmat.The Barrels should came from Italy and are threaten in Germany. They seem to be not exactly the same brassshells with slightly different measurements, but take all the Fisher Space refills. In opposite to you,the reviewer likes the fact of a matte black one has grip ridges. I'm tempted by this theses days.

Tony Sal likes this.
  10. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Clip is off, but how can I brighten my initials back up without ruining the black coating?

11. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I love both my clicky and bullet space pens.

The reviewers are right about the clip on the bullet and it rolling. I usually only experienced the blobbing with medium points if I hadn't used the pen in a long time.

What makes the space pens worth it to me was the ability to write on things other than clean dry paper on a flat surface. I came to love them when I was in the Navy. They were the only pen that I could trust to write on wet or greasy paper at some angle other than flat, which I did often.

The bullet was also perfect for dressier uniforms because you weren't suppose to have anything sticking out of your pockets so it was small enough to drop in even a breast pocket and with the cap on the end it felt like a full size pen when writing.

12. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

SOS24: if you take a look at any of the websites selling 'vintage' pens of various types, you'll find pens from th 30's through the 50's with what are termed 'military' clips. These are very small clips that won't show when clipped in a pocket that has a flap -- the clips are smaller than the flaps were.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Gogogordy and Tony Sal like this.
  13. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

Just bought my 4th refill for my chrome Bullet. I lost the darn thing within a day. Pretty gutted as it was a present from my bro before I moved to the other side of the world. Pretty sad right now!

I just love the way they write. As a mental health nurse I do my fair share of writing. The Bullet is comfortable and works for me. The amount of times a colleague has tried to steal it "ooh nice pen, writes great" what more could you want?

Off to order a few f-701s in 1.0mm black to cheer myself up.

Tony Sal likes this.
  14. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I'm planning on picking one up as a pen to toss in my bag and forget about until i need it because i can trust the space pen to work when i need it.

I actually edc a Hilton Hotel pen that i pinched and it's honestly the best pen i've ever used. It's slim, low profile, perfect size for my jeans pocket and writes beautifully. As a student, i write for a good 3-4 hours a day and this pen makes it almost pleasant

Skunk Ape and Tony Sal like this.
  15. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I suppose I shall attempt to get a fine point Space refill. I have a click Space Pen with a Parker Gel in it. I could leave it in the truck without worry.

Tony Sal likes this.
  16. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Have you left that refill in the pen in the truck before, especially during the hot months? I had some Parker Gel refills; they oozed. In fact, some of them oozed a clear oily component even when stored in the house at room temperature! So I no longer use Parker gel refills -- switched to Schmidt or Fisher (no, Fisher are not gels. but they are stable!)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Tony Sal likes this.
  17. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I left all manner of pens in my truck for a long time and never had that kind of a problem but my truck didn't have an air conditioner so the windows were always open.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Tony Sal likes this.