1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why do people love the Space Pen?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Dedrich, Dec 22, 2014.

1. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Loaded Pockets

Apparently that's a bit of an urban legend. We used pencils as well, but there was a problem with shavings and bits of graphite floating around and after Apollo 1 they wanted to get rid of as much flammable stuff as possible.

Chad

2. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

As others have said, I love it because it writes on anything and in practically any situation.

The Albino Yeti and Tony Sal like this.
  3. Welfare

Welfare Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Mine goes through the washing machine at least once a month and has done for years.

4. ALLHSS

ALLHSS Loaded Pockets

I've had my current Bullet Space Pen for several years now. I didn't have to buy replacement cartridges for about 3 years! And that's using it for school. Great pens.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Tony Sal likes this.
  5. The Albino Yeti

The Albino Yeti EDC Junkie

I'm an ER RN and have yet to find a situation it wouldn't write in- and believe me there have been PLENTY of situations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BJJ0725 and Tony Sal like this.
  6. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

maybe just my luck, but the two i have, one from my embassy pen and then a capomatic i bought are blobby, the one from my capomatic stopped working seemed like the ball got jammed or something and i trashed it about a week ago. maybe i got a bad batch, i will still try the bold refill. the one in embassy pen is ok its not great doesnt write at all angles could be smoother. i like the concept and the made in USA but my bics have been better in my milage.

Tony Sal likes this.
  7. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I've had some issue with the medium refills blobbing, but the fine point refills don't. They also write smoother and with less pressure.

In fact, the fine point refills are better in every regard except that they're more limited in the available colors.

Moco and Tony Sal like this.
  8. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

I agree as before- fine is not that "fine" I really like it.

Sent by P F M !

9. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Loaded Pockets

My daughter saw my space pen in my pocket and asked if it was water proof. I said it was and she grabbed it and wrote on the step of the pool.

Chad

[​IMG]

sino2, TrickyVic, Chris C and 4 others like this.
  10. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I've use Fisher Space pens for years. Mostly the bullet; I do have one of the 'Astronaut' pens -- the AG-7, which became my pen for business trips after a 'regular' pen decided to leak on a plane. I also have changed over numerous pens that used the 'Parker' type refill by replacing with a Fisher refill.

One point in terms of why so many of us love these pens has not really been brought up -- unless I missed it -- and which surprises me. Many bp refills or even gel type refills, if left in a car in warm weather or especially July/August heat will start oozing ink. Fisher refills do not. Period. So, I always make sure that each vehicle has a pen with a Fisher refill in it. Same with each FAK.

The combination of not being affected by temperature extremes (both hot & cold), ability to write on most surfaces through most types of oils, liquids, garden variety 'gunk', etc., write at most angles, makes (for me at least) it virtually impossible to resist the Fisher refills. For convenience of carry, the pens -- especially the bullet and the telescoping, but also full size really make the pens an edc.

I'll also second the preponderance of experience that the fine points write smoother... but the occasional 'glob' has never outweighed the other advantages for me!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

TV09 and Tony Sal like this.
  11. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Yes MBD fine seems like a medium to me.

12. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I started using the space pen in the Navy and it was invaluable as my always available pen for years. It could write on a paper pressed against a bulkhead (wall) that was wet from salt water, oil, grease, etc. The bullet pens were the perfect size for a breast or sleeve pocket. No, they are not fine writing instruments, but when you need to have a pen available that will write doesn't matter what the circumstance, they work. My dog used one as a chew, it is dented at both ends now but the lid still goes on and it still writes.

13. Tortuga

Tortuga Loaded Pockets

Just received my first one. I plan to work the heck out of it.

Tony Sal likes this.
  14. Sao
    • In Omnia Paratus

Sao Loaded Pockets

The reason I like space pens is they are relatively cheap, look nice, write well and will do so on just about any surface. They come in very handy on site.
    They are compact enough to fit in a wallet without really noticing it.
    The only thing I don't like is the medium refills tend to gum up, blob after a little use. Switched to fine refills and not had an issue since.
    I also have the clicky version which I tend to use in the office and at meetings as it looks a little more at home there.

WillAdams and Tony Sal like this.
  15. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Yes Fine is not that fine works great-have to check out the click version!

16. nylophile

nylophile Loaded Pockets

I just don't think that there is a more ergonomic way to carry a pen in a pocket that you don't have to worry about leaking or drying out or failing you in some way.

17. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Never had a leak, they are the most reliable pens and refills I ever had.

18. Sao
    • In Omnia Paratus

Sao Loaded Pockets

My only other gripe is the pocket clip falls off way to easily. I now just don't use the clip.

Sent from my Coolpad 3300A using Tapatalk

Skunk Ape likes this.
  19. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

To keep the clip from moving just use some super glue or other metal to metal adhesive. Mine stay put because I've put 'em on place with a fair amount of ummph.

Sent from shouting real loud over the Interwebz.

20. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Maybe someone can weld those clips on ?