1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why do people like Surefire flashlights?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Kripto, Jul 11, 2011.

1. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thank you. I'll look for one over at CPF.

2. Roood

Roood Loaded Pockets

Can someone please give me an advice? Which do you prefer? SF C2 Centurion LED or SF 6P Original (Gun Metal Grey, Inca)? And why? :)

3. jcc

jcc Banned

It can, it's really easy. Just take off the head and push the clip out. It might take some force, but it'll come out. I switched the clip from my E2DL to a silver E1B and vice versa. Call up Surefire and ask for a replacement E1B clip so that you can keep the dual-clip on the E1B body, too.

4. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

Two lights in the Surefire line up have no parallel in the production light world today even YEARS after their release: A2 Aviator (flood or throw? YES) and the T1A Titan with its TWISTY infinite variable output.

I'll argue the point: Surefire is still cutting edge.

5. jcc

jcc Banned

Isn't the HDS rotary a variable output?

6. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

I prefer the beam of incan better, but have been using LED exclusively for a year or so now, for extended runtime and no worries about the blub blowing (I even retired all of my A2s, which are awesome lights.)

As far as the C2 vs 6P, both were available both as incan and LED at one point (the 80 lumen LED version is the same except the name and the drop-in) so it is up to you which shape feels better in your hand. If you want a mix of the two, the Surefire Z2 is like a 6P that has a round combat grip in the center as opposed to the square one on the C2/M2. I have them all, and the Z2 wins in my book.

The newer 120 lumen Surefire LEDs will not accept aftermarket drop-ins, so if you plan on modifying down the road, go for the 80 lumen version, or the incan version. If you catch the flashlight bug, you are going to want to get a Malkoff drop-in (or several) later on. ;)

7. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nitecore also released and is presently selling a number of "variable intensity" flashlights. It's not a common feature, but by no means unique - and a much lower price point than either the Titan or Ultima (I think was the SF tactical light with the same feature). Admittedly, I don't know if Nitecore has a twisty tail-cap and variable intensity feature, but I'm also not entirely sold on both together.

I will grant the A2 as being unique - no other flashlight I'm aware of offers both features with just a tail-push. Maglite and one or two others come close with a twisting head, but not the same execution plan. The A2S is their follow-up, although I seem to recall some griping at CPF when it was first released. I'll have to double-check.

ETA: The Firstlight "Tomahawk" also did a throw/flood combo, although I'll have to double-check. I know they did primary/secondary LED offerings, similar to the A2 Aviator.

@C2 or 6P - the C2 is interesting; a little heavier, more robust with enhanced "grippiness" over the basic 6P. I actually prefer the Z2, although the 6P is easier to wear on a duty belt and not raise eyebrows. The C2, while a tough little beast, does look a little odd on most uniforms.

-Trevor

8. Bravo_Kilo
    • In Omnia Paratus

Bravo_Kilo Loaded Pockets

Obviously Surefires are great lights, but I'm also of the opinion that they've long been surpassed by other manufacturers in terms of innovation and options. My HDS Clicky outshines (no pun intended) my Surefires in every way except throw, and that's only because of Surefire's TIR optic. Plus, the time they take to get new products to market is absolutely absurd. Take the LX1 for example - They've been talking about that light for close to two years and still nothing. And all it is is a single cell version of the LX2. Why does that take over two years to get into production? :shrug: Their UIs are extremely dated as well. I love the form factor of my E1B, but it's mostly impractical as an EDC torch. If I'm in a dark room and in need of a light, I don't want something coming on with a blindingly focused 110 lumens with the first click, and a still mostly blinding 10 lumen low. Meanwhile, my HDS is built like a brick, comes on at 0.3 lumens, and ramps up to 120 with a slick programmable interface. I really believe Surefire is going to have to make some changes, and soon, if they're going to stay competitive.

9. DrChimRichalds
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

DrChimRichalds Loaded Pockets

My E2D LED Defender is the perfect size and weight for every day carry. Its 200-lumen output is fantastic with a flawless beam pattern; it's almost indestructible construction has certainly proved invaluable time and time again since I bought it this past March. It's a tool that I know I can count on and I know will keep working no matter when or where I need it...and the rare chance it doesn't work, it is backed by a lifetime warranty and excellent customer service. The only thing the E2D needs is a strobe feature. That's one thing I'd really like to see added to this light.

One of only downsides to Surefire, as others have already mentioned, is the price of their illumination tools. It's because of these prices I'm looking at a product from 4Sevens or Streamlight as my next light. Of course, they definitely will not touch the Surefire, but the high price is a bit discouraging. However, I am a strong believer in "You get what you pay for," and you definitely get a lot with Surefire.

10. Roood

Roood Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the reply guys. I got the C2 Centurion and the 6P lol. 6P is gun metal grey though.

11. Rainiers

Rainiers Loaded Pockets

Eh, Surefire doesn't have to do anything to stay on top; they're after law enforcement and military contracts, not private flashaholics. Boutique manufacturers like HDS, Peak, etc. operate in a completely different world.

12. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

There have been military versions of HDS lights, and Peak have a law enforcement line of lights.

13. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

Yes, HDS is heavily involved with military contracts, and have been for a long time now.

14. Rainiers

Rainiers Loaded Pockets

Well, perhaps my choice of words was too loose. The point is Surefire snagged a $15 million dollar SOCOM contract last October, and whatever their aims down the road, HDS et al. do not have the manpower, nor the manufacturing capability, to bid for contracts like that. The guys in Fountain Valley can afford to take their time with product updates.

15. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

Point taken.
    I have had a few Surefire lights (as well as Malkoff, Nitecore, 4Sevens etc) . Some were nicer than others. The Malkoff and Surefire were top drawer, but I sold off everything (except a couple of keychain jobs) save my two RA Clickies. HDS lights offer everything you can get from any of the other top manufacturers in one pocketable package.
    Not that I mean to be all "this vs that". It really comes down to preference in UI when you are dealing with the top tier US manufacturers. Bombproof quality is there in any one you choose, fantastic warranty as well.
    Still, one day I will have enough pennies in my pig for a McGizmo. I really want one of those. They elevate the flashlight to an art form.

16. Nickortizzle1035

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

i couldn't agree more!

17. henry1

henry1 Empty Pockets

I guess my reason is the basic fact that they where the first of the socalled Tactical flashlight's era of Flashlight's and Customer service was great and since i started useing them in back in 1990 era and i found that they work and work great in the area's

18. Bravo_Kilo
    • In Omnia Paratus

Bravo_Kilo Loaded Pockets

Not yet.

This is exactly the kind of outlook I'm hoping Surefire doesn't have, as it's one that will take a company straight to the bottom in the long run.

19. Roger999

Roger999 Loaded Pockets

Simplicity and durability, each light is designed to work for a specific purpose.

You don't want 600 lumens in a shotgun weaponlight that is just going to reflect back and blind you when you use it indoors. However I can get 600 lumens if I want to, just drop a 2.6A XM-L D26 module into my C2 and I have 600 OTF lumens with 2X IMR16340s, I can put in a Malkoff if I want ultimate durability with decent runtime, I can use a P60 if I want some beautiful incan goodness.

My first 2 lights were a Fenix and Quark, I also used to think Surefire were overpriced for the amount of lumens, but that million clicks :censored: drove me insane, not to mention the bezel threading had play in it, so I'd be using the Quark on 0.2 lumens and pressure on bezel will put it into 200 lumens by accident.......The coating on my Quark 123 clip also seems to be like spraypainted on because I can peel bits of it off with my fingernail......the anodizing on the bezel has also worn faster than my E2E, E1E and C2 even though the Quark was carried less and has only ever been dropped on a wooden floor.....

20. mauiblue

mauiblue Loaded Pockets

I've had good experience with Surefire over the years. Once, I needed warranty work done on my Surefire weapon light and they took care of it (but it did take a few months to get it back). All in all, for me it is just brand loyalty. Wonderfully crafted and engineered but can be expensive as hell depending on the model you choose. The M3LT-S CombatLight is sweet and pricey.