1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why did you raise your flag today ?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by jerit, Sep 11, 2015.

1. jerit

jerit Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I put my flag up almost everyday because like to, and because I can. However, some days are a little more special than others and today is one of those days. Almost 75 years ago, marking the bombing of Pearl Harbor, President Roosevelt said..."December 7th, 1941, a date that will live in infamy..." . September 11, 2001 is another date of infamy. So today, I raised my flag to memorialize those days and to remind myself not to forget all those who have kept it possible for me to raise my flag..

2. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

I put it up to remember those who died in the 9/11 attacks. I'll admit to being 'old school' about the American Flag. I've read enough U.S. History to know that in earlier days serving on the Color Guard that carried the American flag and the unit's flag into battle was both a great honor and, quite possibly, a death sentence. For example, by the Civil War it was a major dishonor if your enemy was able to seize your Colors. "Capture the Flag" was no game back then and units assigned the biggest and meanest to protect and carry their flags into battle. So, especially for military people the Flag has added meaning (even though we don't carry it into battle any more.)

I've also been on a few military burial details and noticed how touched families are to receive that Flag, correctly folded exactly thirteen times. As a veteran I look forward to the honor of having that Flag drape my casket. (But, I'm not in any hurry, mind you.)

Last edited by Cobra 6 Actual, Sep 11, 2015
    keith1234, Grumpy521, jfoster and 4 others like this.
  3. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

I have 2; they're both together and they're always on my house.
    Remembering 2 friends that went on that last patrol.
    Remembering all the people that did not come home from work that day.
    This we will defend.

Last edited by Fan-Rang 173, Sep 11, 2015
  4. WheelgunBob

WheelgunBob Loaded Pockets

My flag is up from spring to late fall for all the reasons mentioned above.... but also because few on my street do too.

5. Grumpy521

Grumpy521 Loaded Pockets

I just saw this thread this evening. My flag stays up all year and yes, it is sheltered and lit from below. Yesterday I drove around with this painted ò. The back window of my truck.
    Sgt. Tyler N. Holtz
    B CO. 2/75 RANGER
    Gave all he had
    NEVER FORGET

It's a different name every year. People forget. It's a small thing I do to make them remember that day.

6. jmbriggs

jmbriggs Loaded Pockets

I raised my flag today for the same reason I do every day. I have bleed for it and have known far too many people who have died for the flag and the nation. The last two things anybody will take from me are my guns and my flag and they will have to take both from my cold dead hands.

7. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Why?... or the terrorists win.

Seriously, all holidays in honor of our vets and our liberty. I prefer the one my Dad brought me from Tikrit, Iraq. It flew over U.S. army Base Camp Spiecher. She flies only when I'm home to protect her..

keith1234, ManVsLawn and jmbriggs like this.
  8. Grumpy521

Grumpy521 Loaded Pockets

Funny story about my dads funeral. I'm sitting to my moms right and my Godfather is to my right. I'm watching as two goons from the local VFW post make an attempt to fold my dad's flag. My mom and Godfather both see myface start to twitch and as my butt clears 1/2 an inch of folding chair they both slam their hands on to my knees and lean on me like they need the comfort. We laughed our butts off at the wake but at the time I think I was probably purple and the two goons didn't get within arms reach of me when they handed my mom then flag.

keith1234 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  9. Airborne 1

Airborne 1 Loaded Pockets

Why ??...Because its the proper thing to do.

2 Panther

Cobra 6 Actual and Grumpy521 like this.
  10. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately, not everyone who should know how to fold the Flag does, in fact, know how. (In fact, some of them don't even know that they don't know!).

keith1234, Airborne 1 and Grumpy521 like this.
  11. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I know how. Learned in the Campfire Girls. My boys all learned in the Boy Scouts. My Dad used to do Honor Guard at the VFW. Only way most veterans get a military funeral these days.

Sent by owl post.

keith1234 and Grumpy521 like this.