1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

why carry a notepad???

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by renzo1320, Mar 22, 2011.

1. jml90

jml90 Empty Pockets

Sometimes I need to make small notes of people's names or things that happened that are of no importance to me outside of work.

2. Sanjuro

Sanjuro Empty Pockets

I can sketch designs for my work on a notepad. Of course there are apps to do that too, but its much more intuitive to just open to a page and start drawing. Also, notepads don't run out of batteries.

3. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

I only carry one on duty, and mainly just use it to write down dispatch info as it comes across the radio

4. Neiljc

Neiljc Loaded Pockets

I carry one because I enjoy jotting down little notes and reminders that seem too long to type out on a smartphone, but I also enjoy using my phone for quick notes here and there. I use both from time to time. I enjoy have the ability to choose from both when I want, but simply put, I carry it a notebook simply because I prefer to do so

5. Faynard

Faynard Loaded Pockets

+1.
    But seriously, I have begun to carry one lately for work. I had a rude awakening when my manager caught me writing something on my hand, and told me (not in so many words, of course) never to do it again. Since then I carry a cheap little composition notebook in my left pocket. Works great for work - taking orders, and for slowly making lists of things to get when I go downstairs to the kitchen (our elevator takes FOREVER so we need to maximize each trip, especially on busy days). I even carry one on my off days, just because I've found it to be so useful.

Also +1: not having a smart-phone, tearing off pages for others, and times when it is inconvenient, impossible, or rude to whip out a smart-phone.

6. jarguez

jarguez Loaded Pockets

Because WE LIKE to feel the paper, writing and reading!!

7. mauiblue

mauiblue Loaded Pockets

I've gotten many great ideas of EDC items from this forum and never thought of carrying a notepad until I came across this specific forum (Pens and Pencils and Paper). I've read about Moleskine and order a Plain Notebook (unruled). I just received it today. I actually wanted a ruled version but made an error when I ordered it. But when I thought about it, ruled or unruled, this notebook will be great just for jotting down notes, phone numbers, etc. I am getting a ruled version to use to journal though. As for the Plain Notebook, I am looking forward using it as a companion to my android smartphone.

8. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

Based on reading this forum, I have carried a small Moleskin Volant in my back pocket for 2 years now (in a cool leather cover from Renaissance Arts). However, I will admit that I have only used it maybe once or twice in that 2 year span. It is kind of neat to think that I have it, but in reality a waste of space for me.

9. Max Archer

Max Archer Loaded Pockets

You can pry my iPhone from my cold, dead hands, but if I actually want to get anything written down before then, scrawling on paper is the faster option.

The other thing is that as a beat journalist, which I sort of was for a while and might be at some point again, you learn pretty quickly that people react a lot better to a paper notepad than to taking interview notes on a phone (makes you look unprofessional) or a voice recorder (being recorded really weirds people out). There are also the aforementioned points about being able to draw diagrams and stuff.

10. fast14riot

fast14riot Loaded Pockets

Because you can't accuse someone of not paying attention, or playing on facebook with a pen and paper. Also for me I get a lot of job changes over the phone. Trying to put notes into my phone while talking on the phone isn't always easy. Yes I have a smartphone (samsung epic 4G), but still carry a moleskin and a clipboard to job sites. I also keep a pocket mod or three in my hip pocket. Makes lunch orders for the crew easier if I can just pass it around and they wrte what they want.

-Xander

11. Standeck

Standeck Loaded Pockets

Because my BlackBerry has a password and jotting a note is faster and the note is there in front of me as a reminder every time I open the notepad. Also the 15 year old Waterford notepad I carry holds a Rhodia No. 11 pad perfectly, keeps cards, receipts, photos etc. handy and allows me a chance to use one of my fountain pens. Which makes me happy!