1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

why carry a notepad???

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by renzo1320, Mar 22, 2011.

1. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

Because I can write faster than I can type.

2. Skorpius

Skorpius Empty Pockets

EMP blast.

3. ecksdog

ecksdog Loaded Pockets

It's hard to write notes on your Blackberry while you're talking on your Blackberry.

4. someoneyoudontknow

someoneyoudontknow Loaded Pockets

You can't make a cup out of a cell phone.
    You can't write down info and hand it to someone else with a cell phone.
    You can't write on $SURFACE with a stylus.
    You can't use a cell phone as a improptu lubricant.
    You can't really defend yourself with a cell phone.

5. themaindude

themaindude Loaded Pockets

I used to jot notes down using the graffiti app on the palm pilot and was very good at it. after transitioning to other things I had to go back to handwriting notes to myself. I might try again with a capacitive stylus. I just have not picked one up yet. I rely heavily on notes on a notepad but never could keep track of them all until recently (past 3 years) when I started buying moleskines.

6. dbert

dbert Loaded Pockets

by far the best reason presented thus far, hah

7. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

If I use a my phone to keep notes, I don't seem to ever look at it so I forget to do what's on my list. I don't use a notepad anymore, though. Now I use a small stack of 3x5 cards in my back pocket. I find that a folded 3x5 card in my pocket is heavy enough to remind me to look at it when I put my hands in my pocket. Plus, with the phone, I have to open up the app and type the info on a small keyboard vs pulling out my xmark fisher and jotting some quick notes or todo list on a card. It really is just much faster. Plus, I get a sense of accomplishment when I check things off of my todo list. A feeling that just doesn't fulfill me when marking an item off of a todo list application.

8. ObiHann

ObiHann Loaded Pockets

For around the house, the office, or out with friends I use my iPhone or Galaxy Tab (using Evernote to keep it all in sync). When I'm out with Search and Rescue or a medical duty with St John Ambulance I bring a 4x6 notepad and a fisherbullet inside a Maxpedition notepad case. For SAR I use a RITN notepad and for SJA a cheap generic one they provide for me.

9. Kraid

Kraid Loaded Pockets

I carry one because I don't have a brain. The notebook acts as my brain. Without it, I wouldn't remember anything!

10. gstojinovic

gstojinovic Loaded Pockets

It's cheaper to kill a mosquito with notebook then with phone...

11. SpyderTex

SpyderTex Empty Pockets

moleskine

I carry a small moleskine volant every day. While it may not see as much use as it should, it is easy to have on my person and serves well for to do lists and ideas I don't want to lose track of. Also the volant has perforated pages which is ideal if I want to remove some pages cluttering up the notebook or if I need to write something and tear it out to give someone else. Small and effective.

Tex

12. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

+1 amen

13. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I carry one not only for myself (don't have a smartphone), but if someone else needs paper bad enough I don't mind sharing.

For example, last summer I went to Laguna Seca to watch the MotoGP races. On the way out, I was walking through the vast field of parked motorcycles, all of which were parked in a grass field, some on a hill. I saw a rider (of shorter stature) on a BMW struggling to start moving on a relatively steep, grassy incline, when suddenly he lost balance and landed on top of a older Suzuki TL1000R, knocking it over and cracking the fairing. I ran over, helped him pick up his bike and hold it steady upright so he could drive up onto the level gravel and park it. I then tore a page out of my cheapie Mead notepad and let him use my Sharpie so he could leave his name and number on the Suzuki.

Embarrassment and damaged pride aside, nobody was hurt and he was able to leave contact info for the unfortunate Suzuki owner.

14. HappyStuffing

HappyStuffing Loaded Pockets

Writing on a paper is simply more reliable for me and I love the "real" feeling of pen on paper. Plus I get to play with my Zebra F-301 some more :)

15. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

For me, two reasons: cell phones are forbidden at work, and also because it is actually easier to recall exactly what a note means when it's in context. I can look at what I've written before and after the note in case I forgot what I meant when I wrote it, which is good because I usually write very cryptic notes.

16. LukeA

LukeA Loaded Pockets

Except for #2, I'm not sure how you think a notebook would come in handy for those tasks.

17. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I can even see making a cup out of a piece of paper. But I'm not sure what write on $SURFACE means, and I don't know how you'd use a notebook as a lubricant or defend yourself with it. I'd be interested in hearing more about those two. I'll assume the lubricant refers to ink from a pen, and defending yourself comes from a tactical pen, but carrying a pen and carrying a notebook are two whole different arguments.

18. LukeA

LukeA Loaded Pockets

Maybe $SURFACE is many surfaces, maybe all the ones that you can use a Sharpie to write on.

I thought the lubricant might be graphite from a pencil, but a pencil isn't a pen and neither one is Sharpie or, importantly, a notebook. That makes four things to carry. This notebook is adding up to be quite a pocketful, especially if the notebook is the legal pad needed to make a decent sized folded soggy cup.

19. revise

revise Empty Pockets

1) Touchscreen phones are garbage to take notes on.
    2) I like writing.

Thats pretty much it. I still use Evernote on my phone and Google Docs, but having a notepad is faster and easier for me.

20. jcc

jcc Banned

[​IMG]

Paper doesn't forget.