1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

why carry a notepad???

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by renzo1320, Mar 22, 2011.

1. nyckmc

nyckmc Loaded Pockets

I use my phone extensively as a PDA notes, calender, plenty of to do lists.

during a phone call its just so much easier to take down a phone number
    via pen and paper.

2. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Very simply, a pen & notepad are the superior app for notetaking. The IQ on smartphones is pretty low in regard to notetaking. Yes, they have storage & search capabilities, but those functions are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist for most use. If a notepad slips out of your hand and crashes to the floor, you pick it up & use it. If a smartphone slips out of your hand and crashes to the floor, you can even dry your tears with the notepad.

Color me....a troglogdye or Luddite if you want, but smartphones do many things adequately and some sub-par, but are basically the swiss army knife of phones...they don't excel in anything.

3. Gvdocholiday

Gvdocholiday Loaded Pockets

I carry a notepad for work. Use it several times daily. I write out daily duty lists and daily rosters so I know who I have on duty and at what post.

4. Darth_Firebolt

Darth_Firebolt Loaded Pockets

because i have large fingers and the keyboard on my smart phone sucks.

5. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

Let me butt in now :)

Lets say you're on the 'not so good' side of town. Are you gonna whip your your iPhone just to note the location and phone number of a restaurant you want to eat at? I sure as hell wouldn't. So what paper can get wet and pens can run out of ink. Ever heard of Rite in the Rain and a Fisher Space Pen? Fishers last quite a long time off one cartridge. There are so many more pros toward pen and paper for notes then there is with phones. The guy above me who got all defensive needs to stop getting his panties in a bunch.

6. Amikeb

Amikeb Loaded Pockets

A smartphone is really only good for making a note for yourself. A notepad allows you to make a note for someone else. How many times a week do you hear someone say that they need a pen and paper? I'm not about to give someone my iPhone so they can walk away with a note.
    Smartphone for yourself (I prefer voice notes anyway, much faster than tapping out a note) and notepad for everyone else.

7. Redstarny

Redstarny Empty Pockets

I have both but nothing beats a notepad for speed and reliability.

8. CaptainBob

CaptainBob Empty Pockets

A pen and notepad always start, cellphones are battery powered and may fail when needed most.

9. braswes

braswes Loaded Pockets

My life is kept in Outlook and OneNote. So everything I want to keep must be able to sync to these apps. I use paper to take notes and capture information, but I always transcribe it to either Outlook (calendar entries, email, to-do) or OneNote (information, to-do). Its the ultimate in "sync" compatibility.

I've found that when I try to take notes using a smartphone or a PDA, I spend too much time thinking about the mechanics of capturing the information, rather than focusing on the information itself.

10. ShadowBritt

ShadowBritt Loaded Pockets

I would have to agree with the general tone of the majority of responses on here, My iPhone is a constant companion... EXCEPT when I am in a secure facility. My Moleskine is a constant companion, at all times. In addition, I can draw/write/sketch on my moleskine much easier than in my iPhone event hough my fingers are not gi-normous! Lastly, in response to wet paper/pen out of ink, well, I usually protect my moleskine almost as much as my iPhone, meaning I carry it in an inside pocket/hunch over it in those rare occasions when I might need to write in the rain... Remember the old EDC adage, 'two is one..." well in this case, by carrying two items instead of just one, I also have technology multiplicity, so when one technology is forbidden/unavailable (as in the fore-mentioned secure areas) I can whip out the other and no one will bat an eye.

11. ShadowBritt

ShadowBritt Loaded Pockets

Note pad vs Cellphone

I would have to agree with the general tone of the majority of responses on here, My iPhone is a constant companion... EXCEPT when I am in a secure facility. My Moleskine is a constant companion, at all times. In addition, I can draw/write/sketch on my moleskine much easier than in my iPhone event hough my fingers are not gi-normous! Lastly, in response to wet paper/pen out of ink, well, I usually protect my moleskine almost as much as my iPhone, meaning I carry it in an inside pocket/hunch over it in those rare occasions when I might need to write in the rain... Remember the old EDC adage, 'two is one..." well in this case, by carrying two items instead of just one, I also have technology multiplicity, so when one technology is forbidden/unavailable (as in the fore-mentioned secure areas) I can whip out the other and no one will bat an eye.

12. Chopper

Chopper Loaded Pockets

Cos i'm getting old and keep forgetting things. ;)

13. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

I like the simplicity of paper and pen. Can have it anywhere, anytime. Don't need to charge it. Can store it for as long as I need.

I always find these threads intriguing (I see the same mentality in a lot of my students), as it seems so many no longer seem able to fathom a life without things like a cellphone. We still live in a natural world, and if you're paying attention, it really doesn't take all that much to make your modern conveniences go bye bye. In such a situation, being able to communicate in written form could still prove essential...paper and pen just might do the trick a little better than a Smartphone.

14. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

The late comedian Steve Allen said a creative idea can occur to you anytime, anywhere--but you'll lose it if you don't jot it down. I think he used index cards, actually.

I've always been an inveterate notetaker. I also like to focus my attention to keep myself on track but I have so many notebooks that it doesn't always work out...

Also: when you write (slower than typing or texting), I think it can force you to slow down and think things through more clearly. Not always, though. Writing down stream-of-consciousness can by art (James Joyce) or gibberish (Garbage In, Garbage Out).

But you do feel a different, more contemplative energy when you are calmly writing and thinking about what you want to say beforehand.

It's often a lot smarter to think before you react. Especially online, when what you say can easily be misconstrued.

15. Mister Scribble

It was a lot more peaceful without all these new fangled gadgets. Who wants to be available to other people 24/7? You have no life of your own.

16. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

I can think better jotting things down. I can doodle. I get the tactile sensation of pen to paper. I get to appreciate a nice writing tool.

[​IMG]

17. robertrock

robertrock Loaded Pockets

I carry one of those small moleskines, the gridded cahier, I think, and a mini G2. Used to carry a crack-berry but that made me too available to work mates and business-speak emails. Plus, data plans suck.

I now have a dumb phone and no data plan.

The notepad is unbreakable, no charging, I can put it in any pocket, throw it across the room, etc. It tolerates general abuse and temperature extremes very well. And if I loose it, so what.

It's just more versatile and I like sketching/writing/doodling. I can even start a fire with it.

18. Guarddog
    • In Omnia Paratus

Guarddog EDC Junkie !!!!!

:iagree: :brickwall:

19. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Mister Scribble said,
    Agreed. I remember with fondness the days when a person had to wait and look forward to talking with someone, instead of spewing their every partially formed thought out of their mouth and into their phone. It seems that many today just can't understand why a person wouldn't want to be tied to a cell phone and computer email every second of every day. As a point of reference, I deal with hundreds of students a semester, many of which expect me to interact with them constantly through email, and phone calls to get information, they should be getting by interacting with me in the classroom. The fact that I refuse to be at their beck and call through these modes of communication frustrates them, almost as much as this attitude does me. They just can't understand why I have a problem with this. Posts like this one remind me of the same.

20. Mister Scribble

That's very interesting. When my laptop is on, and I'm working, I find myself obsessively checking my email every few minutes.

I think this is unhealthy.

However, when I am out and about, I shut off my cell phone. And I don't give out the number.