1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

why carry a notepad???

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by renzo1320, Mar 22, 2011.

1. renzo1320

renzo1320 Empty Pockets

what do we need one if we have a smartphone??

2. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

no smartphone..+ I can't leave a smartphone on a car windshield or give it to some hot chica!

3. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

how easy is it to sketch a concept drawing on a smart phone?

And it's a lot faster for me to make lists, write down addresses and notes on paper.

Oh yeah...and I don't own a smart phone.

4. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

Because batteries die.

marcclarke and SeattleSparky like this.
  5. Prodigal_Son_84

Prodigal_Son_84 Loaded Pockets

+ 1

6. Inspector

Inspector Empty Pockets

I have a BlackBerry and a HTC Desire, I love them. I can look up things on the internet really quickly, I get emails as soon as they are sent.

But for writing notes they are utter trash.

In work I have to keep various notebooks as a record of what I have done, or what people have said, my notebook holders keep so much more in them than just paper. I have post it notes, index card, evidence labels, chain of custody forms and the like.

A smartphone has none of the look, or feel of real paper. It is almost like saying "why bother with a knife when a multitool can do it all"...

7. indigo

indigo Loaded Pockets

I use my moleskine for seminar/workshop notes mainly. I find that it is easier to jot down what interests me in it than using my stylus to slowly type in stuff on my ipod touch. I have my moleskine organized with an index in the front and numbered pages so it is easy to go back and find information. When I get home, I transfer whatever I deem necessary into evernote via my keyboard for searchable storage. I love my touch and use it all the time, but sometimes the old fashioned way is still the best way. And +1 on the batteries thing too.

8. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Quoted for freaking truth.

I also don't have a smart phone. I find it easier to brainstorm with a notepad and a pen, in addition to the other observations about taking notes, leaving messages and so on.

And it's hard to break a pad of paper. Which is not to say you can't do it, or at least render it unreadable, but it's also a lot easier to break a piece of electronics, like a smart phone.

-Trevor

9. takenaway

takenaway Loaded Pockets

If you use a smartphone and it crashes or everything gets wipped from the memory and it's not backed up properly you lose all your notes and I'm talking from experience. It's also quicker for me to just jot something down on a notepad which can be waterproof as well.

10. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Yeah batteries can die. And pens can also run out of ink. And paper can get wet.

If your smartphone is that important, you take steps to ensure the battery does not die. I assume you also put gas in your car too, because getting stranded sucks. It doesn't mean that you walk everywhere.

A notebook is a good backup device, but lack of familiarity with your device isn't an excuse.

I sync my notes over the air automatically, but yes that used to be a problem for me. Definitely agree with you on the waterproofing, assuming you have Rite in the Rain or similar. Apple's (and probably everyone else's) warranty is pretty nonexistent if your phone gets wet.

Maybe a better question is why a smartphone at all:

- it is one less thing to carry
    - pretty much unlimited space for notes
    - quickly searchable
    - easily transmitted to other people or systems
    - addresses quickly convert to directions

11. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I carry a notepad and a pencil because at work, I can't whip out my smart phone. We can't have them on the floor. I can, however, whip out my moleskine and pencil and write down anything I need to.

12. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

13. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

Once upon a time, I always carried Rite in the Rain. Unfortunately, I'm an awkward lefty that doesn't put their hand below or above the line they're writing on, so I smeared on Rite in the Rain like crazy. I write mainly in pencil now for the same reason on all papers. I smear a lot less with pencil.

14. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

and sometimes you need to make a note or jot info down and give it to some one...

marcclarke likes this.
  15. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

because 3 notecards don't take up a lot of space, and I can get them out of my pocket more quickly than I can access the "notes" app on my htc evo

also, notes are just that, quick reminders that you don't need for more than 24 hours. At the end of the day, I put my notes in to my google calendar (if they are reminders) or look for stuff on wikipedia (if they are "interesting factoids") or whatever else needs to be done with them. it's easier than using a hyper-specialized app. 3 months down the road, I don't need to search through my stacks of notecards for that piece of information about dodo extinction, because I've already read up on it, or put it on my google calendar to read up on it later.

@wulfhermit think you might appreciate this: http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi2425.htm

marcclarke likes this.
  16. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Even though I don't have a smartphone, the phone I have does have a notepad feature.

Even with that though, I still carry a small notepad with me. With it I can jot down drawings and diagrams to go with notes, I can easily tick off lists without having to go into text editors and I can easily remove pages to give notes or information to other people or store it in a relevant place.

17. DollarStoreLurker

DollarStoreLurker Loaded Pockets

Why can't someone make a widget that actually DOES NOTES. The one that's part of Sense is garbage.

I carry a Pilot G2 Mini, and a Department of the Interior notepad. Perfect size, each of them.

18. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

I have no lack of familiarity with my device, I do use Evernote to take and sync my notes. But I still refuse to rely 100% on technology and my comment about batteries dying was not in relation to losing notes but in relation to the ability to take notes. I carry two chargers and four spare batteries for my phone because I need it to be up all the time but there have been times that even that has failed me. One thing my life experience has taught me is to never have a single point of failure, Murphy is always watching.

19. jcw122

jcw122 Loaded Pockets

Because phones break, and I don't feel as creative typing as I do writing.

20. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I use my smart phone for keeping track of appointments, my todo list, and a number of other things. However, I use a notepad on a regular basis for one simple reason: It is just flat out easier and quicker to jot a note down on paper then it is on my phone. Scribbles and shorthand will always be faster to than typing with thumbs. Now, put me on a full size keyboard and I can type much faster than I write.