1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why Carry a Leatherman AND a Folding Knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Bolster, Jun 30, 2011.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Because my Small Sebenza does not have pliers.

el_murdoque likes this.
  2. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

You win! :notworthy: Best reply of the thread! ;D

Z71-K9 likes this.
  3. cutter17

cutter17 Empty Pockets

This is what I do with my Juice 2 also. I use it's blade if the cutting is going to be nasty, plus the other tools come in handy. Like said, the Leatherman is harder to deploy, but only by a little. I also carry two other knives along with it, a slipjoint in my left front pocket, and a large "tactical" style knife in my right front pocker (SR-1V currently). The Juice fits in one of the outside pockets of my wallet, and so there is were it resides.

4. 76bts

76bts Loaded Pockets

using a multitool blade for any length of time is not too comfortable thats were your edc folder comes in, usually a LM Wave with a Tenacious in my case

5. Breck

Breck Empty Pockets

I think everyone has misunderstood the OP's question. He must have, must have meant "...as opposed to a fixed knife?"

Right?

Right?

6. Signmaker

Signmaker Loaded Pockets

I too found carrying my Kershaw Skyline redundant, considering the blade on my SOG Power-Ps. My solution was to remove the blade from the SOG, and replaced it with the Xacto blade holder from a Gerber Artifact. Now carrying the two isn't as redundant, as the bigger Skyline is for bigger tough cuts, and I have the Xacto for doing delicate or detailed work.

7. Bolster

Bolster Loaded Pockets

LOL, no, in my case I was thinking either Leatherman or Spyderco. But I have been seriously schooled here. The answer is both. BOTH. Got it.

Long live lumpy pockets and bat-belts!

EDIT: Hey hey, I see Yablanowitz is here! I remember you from the Spyderco forum. How you doin', pal?

8. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

Still hangin' in there. I don't post as much here, but I do drop by and see what's going on pretty often.

9. DODGE_THIS!

DODGE_THIS! Empty Pockets

I carry two blades on me all the time. A karambit knife and the LM Skeletool CX. both have the blades but one is strictly for defense, while the other helps me get through my daily tasks. :)

10. jbiz

jbiz Loaded Pockets

I view a leatherman as some what of a compromised tool so I use a “real” knife for several reasons:
    1. the blade is thicker and more durable, the lock is a lot more solid, hardware has more beef. These things allow me to use the knife harder then I would a leatherman (also reduces the ware to the leatherman) 2.the blade is a lot faster to take out and put away.3. finally I like carrying a good folding knife.

11. Leonard Wayne Manning

Leonard Wayne Manning Empty Pockets

I carry a supertool 300 with a fire steel strapped to the sheath and my Spyderco tenacious. I like to save the knife on my Leatherman in case I need a truly unused blade. My tenacious is much quicker to get to and I don't feel so bad beating on it.

12. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

I always carry a good Blade and my Surge multitool.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  13. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

Interesting answers, so-far. I would ask: why not? A 'multi' has more versatility, than a solitary folder. There is a small-amount of cross-over in the cutting-tasks. So, redundancy is a valid-reason. A larger folder, also has a faster-deployment in most-cases. Which would make-sense in a possible self-defense role. Carrying a Swiss Army knife, like a Hercules plus a 'multi' like a Wave Plus, seems like a bit of over-kill to me though.

14. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

One knife here.
    I don't even use a multitool on a daily basis.

15. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

The multi's job is to help out in a pinch. Whenever you need a certain tool and you're standing in front of your workbench and the Leatherman with that tool already deployed is lying right there, but right next to it is that very tool in a dedicated, decent version, you'll grab the real deal for sure.
    The only thing where I don't mind the LM at all is when there's a lighter duty job for the pliers.
    The multi's job is to provide a serviceable solution when that dedicated tool is not at hand.

So if someone encounters a job for a knife, the knife will come out and not the Leatherman, provided both are on that person at that time.

When you ask people to make a list, ranking their edc items in terms of importance to them, most will rank the knife higher than the multi.

If confronted with the choice, I'd leave the house without my Leatherman rather than without my knife. So I'd rather have the redundancy of two blades than using the blade of a multitool as a substitute for a real knife.

Moshe ben David and HarryD like this.
  16. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

The Sergeants in the army always said "two is one and one is none!" meaning that if you only have one (knife) is will surely be lost or broken.... always have a backup. I carry a Vic Cadet in the left pocket and a K55K in the right with a second K55K in my jacket and a Vic Spirit in my bag (EDC).

17. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

In my EDC system, the blade on my Leatherman KICK is for emergency use only (in my case as a *backup* emergency knife). This ensures that is have at least one factory sharp blade in any emergency situation.

I also carry a tactical folder as my *primary* emergency blade. This does actually get used once in awhile when I need a knife fast or when I need a bigger knife.

But most of my knife work (95%) is done with either my stockman or my SAK Classic (which I carry mostly for the scissors). I find the combination of blades on the stockman to be incredibly versatile, especially the sheepsfoot blade (great for opening boxes or clamshell packaging). As an added bonus, these slipjoint knives are MUCH less likely to draw attention from knife-o-phobes.

This system gives my lots of redundancy and versatility.