1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why carry a carabiner?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by Bolster, Aug 5, 2011.

1. garrettdunlap

garrettdunlap Loaded Pockets

Looks like I'm breaking my biners back out now! I really like the idea of securing bags to keep them dry and clean; also clipping a hat or bottle.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

I hang my keys on a handforged S-shaped copper carabiner:[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

3. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Don't know if it has already been mentioned. Clip the biner to your bag and to a stationary object (loop of paracord through it helps) so someone can't easily walk away with it.

Journo likes this.
  4. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

A carabiner lives on my belt at 3 o'clock. I primarily use it for hands-free dog walking (with a retractable leash), but as others have mentioned also hang hats, gloves, jackets, water, tools, etc. off it.

Hate the gate notch on regular carabiners though - always hooking on stuff when you want to take it off. Love these notchless Petzl ANGEs though.

[​IMG]

5. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

Beat ya to it...

But yeah, it's a great way to stop that grab and run.

6. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

I carry one for the same reason, either to tether my dog to myself, or to a picnic bench while eating lunch, etc.

7. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I have a few carabiners laying around.

Usually I use them to secure my dogs with cables, since they chew through leashes like it was paper.

Also when hiking or camping I clip gear on the outside like water, leashes, lights, etc.

Very cheap and useful tool to have.

8. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I carry a lighweight plastic biner on the side of my pack, low down so i can grab it one handed. If I'm walking home and the shopping bag is heavy, I can use the biner to hook my groceries onto the shoulder strap of my pack to transfer the weight up to my back. I still need to brace it with a hand so it's not hands free but it's so much easier.

I also use it for all the reasons listed above, primary hooking my hat to my pack or belt.

MedusaOblongata likes this.
  9. battlestage

battlestage Loaded Pockets

I keep generally keep a carabiner on the outside of my pack for gloves. My gloves often get wet or dirty so I like to keep them outside of the pack.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  10. qkarl

qkarl Loaded Pockets

One time at a amusement park, we were sitting at the back of some bleachers for a show. The sun was out in full force and I jerry rigged a makeshift shade out of a folding umbrella, the chain link fender behind us, and a carabiner. Hands free shade = envy of the entire crowd.

Moshe ben David and MCPOWoller like this.
  11. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I carry two attached to my EDC pack. Both for attaching something and as impromptu brass knuckles if I ever had to go hands on with some troublemaker (I haven’t yet).

12. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Great question. I found it it one of the best universal devices out there. I use it for many things and here is a list off the top of my head
    1. Keys
    2. Carrying grocery bags so they don't open and roll all over the place and don't cut into my hand when carrying them into the house
    3. Concerts when carrying all the souvenirs in a plastic bag, keeps my hands free. Especially good when you got to places like Ozzfest.
    4. Holding stuff (with my keys on them) and then anchoring it to something
    5. Use it to anchor stuff
    The list just goes on and on.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  13. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I started carrying a DMM screwgate biner a few years ago as part of my nursing gear to carry keys and a small flashlight.

I have an identical one for my car and house keys. My car keys can be separated easily (on their own split ring with Tesco and Morrisons Clubcard and a metal trolley key....you know, the essentials! Also a Fenix E05). The other bits are a Spyderco Grasshopper, Leatherman Brewer, a small prybar and a Gerber Dime. I keep the car key bits very light to reduce wear on the ignition barrel.
    The climbing biner makes for a good improvised knuckleduster in a self defence situation.

I no longer carry the carabiner for work; my role does not require me to carry keys/dispense medication. The carabiner now lives on the side of my RUSH 12 and has been used to clip it to stuff, as a side grab handle etc.

Plus, DMM are a great local company from North Wales!!!

Jay-uk likes this.
  14. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

As others have said a carabiner can be very valuable for attaching stuff to the outside of a pack (in my case collapsible water bottle, small folding solar panel, etc) or hanging stuff up especially if trying to keep off wet ground. There are actually some relatively light weight options out there in full strength carabiners.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.