1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why carry a carabiner?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by Bolster, Aug 5, 2011.

1. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

I think it's a push. It depends on how much your particular 'biner weighs. The wire gated ones like the BD live wire, etc. Are the lightest. If you carry one you will certainly find uses for it. If you don't carry one, it is likely you can perform the same functions using lighter items you carry and your improvisational skills. You decide.

2. Dafabricata

Dafabricata Loaded Pockets

Rarely use it, but when I need it, I'm always glad I had it!

One time it really came in handy while raking leaves at my brothers house. All the leaves were being piled on a tarp and it was a real :censored: to move. Using the gromet holes on the tarp corners, the carabiner fit perfectly and was a perfect handle. Made moving the leaf pile so incredibly easy!

3. s0uls

s0uls Loaded Pockets

always got one attached to my backpack (hanging my lunch bag from and to the car) and one on my keychain so I can have them attached to my belt.

4. Standeck

Standeck Loaded Pockets

I carry a wire gate climbing 'biner on my Timbuk2 shoulder strap as an all-purpose hang a lunch bag, water bottle, whatever attachment point. In my turnouts I keep thirty feet of webbing, a Black Diamond ATC and a carabiner as a last ditch jump out the window option, plus a keyring style mini 'biner as a helmet hanger on my waist threaded through an adjustment strap. The one on the bag is overkill. The mini is underkill and the emergency setup is just barely adequate and only useful 'cause it's slightly better than jumping!

5. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

A good carabiner is a handy thing to have. It's just fast and easy to suspend stuff from your belt loop. I have a 3" one I clip my keys to my belt look with it most often. But the other day I was painting from a ladder and was using it to clip tools off the edge of the ladder while I worked so they'd be within reach.
    It goes well with some paracord for an infinite number of different uses.

6. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Makes a duster if your in a bad spot but dont get KO'd trying to unclip it to get ready lol

7. pinksalmon

pinksalmon Loaded Pockets

this thread pushed me over the edge into deciding I want one for my keys/backpack

8. Anonymous Romanian

Anonymous Romanian Loaded Pockets

My jobs requires impromptu field work. So I have to be prepared for almost every situation. After you are sent to take photos of bear routes in the wilderness when you thought it would be just a regular day at the office... you'd start packing for almost any predictable situation implied by the job. The only thing I cannot EDC and the company thinks it is unnecessary to give, when I was very close to needing it, is anti-venom for vipers.

Back to topic: I had gotten a carabiner for my mother. Now she's carabiner crazy. Has one at every stack of keys and even stole one from me. They are not for climbing, but still...

9. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I don't usually carry a carabiner... but I do use them...

[​IMG]

10. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

I use a locking non-load bearing carabiner as a key chain. I use to use one with split rings to hold the keys, with hook to hold the car keys to allow them easily removal.

I'm not sure how it happened, but one night while I was going out for the mail. I spent five minutes trying to find the keys attached to a black keyless entry system fob. I switched to the carabiner within five minutes of find the fob

11. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

I'm with Bolster on this one.

12. Larwyn

Larwyn Loaded Pockets

I often have one of the lightweight "not for climbing use" carabiners along, to hold the water bottle, keys etc. But generally anything that can be done by these lightweights can just as easily be done with an even lighter weight bit of rope or cord and a few basic knots. A twelve to eighteen inch long bit of 3/16" braided nylon cord (or para cord for that matter) weighs next to nothing, holds most knots well and is much more versatile than any lightweight carabiner, Velcro strap, ty warap or duct tape. Sometimes I have both with me, but I almost always have a short bit of cord of some sort. The price is right and it fits easily in the bottom of a pocket.

13. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Yes they make a nice sound when they fall
    And add weight reducing the chance of loss.

14. dimeotane

dimeotane Loaded Pockets

They're handy when camping. I was really wishing for a couple small spare ones this weekend. I needed to clip my lantern up in the loop from the top of my tent so I had to remove my keys from the biner on my belt.

The other day I hung my water bottle from my biner on my beltloop because I needed a free hand for a few minutes while walking.

15. Anonymous Romanian

Anonymous Romanian Loaded Pockets

Off topic: I think this carabiner is really awesome in a weird kind of way
    [​IMG]

16. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

Small utility plastic "s" biners clipped to all zip fobs on my Octa. Clip zipper pulls together for security, keys, bags, tethering points for tools and flashlight, useful for hanging an item from your t-shirt collar, if they were strong enough and you had enough cordage, you could even make a block and tackle of sorts, for emergency moving of a heavy object.

17. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I have a couple of size 3 s-biners clipped to the outside of my EDC Osprey Quasar 28 and a folded and rubber-banded gym sack stowed inside. If I need to carry more than the Quasar will hold, then I put the overspill in the gym sack and clip it to the back of the Quasar. Works well.

18. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Wow, old thread! Fun discussion tho.

I carry one full size climbing carabiner because i can get a full four-finger grip on it. It's the best multi purpose handle you can wish for, I've used it for everything from shopping bags and hauling the odd impulse purchase at flea markets to carrying some tied up fire wood. Never used it for climbing and i don't intend to ever use it for that.

surefire7 and Moshe ben David like this.
  19. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

I have a screwgate one on the front of my 5.11 RUSH 12, I also keep about 3 feet of paracord with loops at either end, when I am out reporting in the city and I need to leave my bag unattended, say behind me, I use the paracord and the carabiner to attach the bag to things like lamp posts or railings, I know this isn't going to stop a mega determined thief, but it will stop an opportunistic thief.

20. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Have you looked into the PACSAFE line of accessories for securing bags? Includes light, easily packed webbing and cables of stainless steel. Here is an example on the REI website: https://www.rei.com/product/709208/pacsafe-85-security-web-medium

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

RoadWizard likes this.