1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why carry a carabiner?

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by Bolster, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Bolster

Bolster Loaded Pockets

My GHB is now at that "mature" stage where I'm actually taking away instead of adding, trying to get it light. Every time I go through the contents I ask, "Why am I carrying a carabiner?" Should it be on the chopping block or not? I don't carry rope hefty enough to support my weight, just some paracord, so...

???

2. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

I have never owned a "real" climbing carabiner. No need for one.

3. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

Attached to a bag, it's a good way to clip something to it. Had an adventure race a couple weeks back, and part of the price was a plastic beer mug and one free fill. I saw a few people had them clipped to their backpacks with a carabiner, which I thought was a good idea. Same for a water bottle (if it has something to clip to.), keys, many things.

But yeah, if you put it in your bag at one point thinking you would repel down a building or something, good to see you've smartened up.

4. Sailsmaker89

Sailsmaker89 Loaded Pockets

As above, best bag,hat,cup holder I have found so far.. used it once as a belt,..'binered 2 loops closer together to tighten up the pants so they wouldn't fall off at work

Then again if weight is an issue you could replace it with a grimloc or for the truly weight conscious a "reusable" zip tie or a velcro wrap strip

John

5. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I think my bag has carabiners, grimlocs, zip ties, and velcro straps.

Climbing carabiners are too heavy and bulky to carry unless you're actually going to use it for climbing. The smaller, lighter ones that people use for keychains are great for attaching stuff to other stuff.

marcclarke likes this.
  6. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I have an old biner that I carry because of sentimental reasons. It saved my sorry butt from falling out of a helicopter over a forest fire.

Kris likes this.
  7. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

I always have a light weight climbing biner on my bag. At the beach I clip it to my sunshade to keep it and the contents out of the sand. At the pool I clip it to the fence to keep my bag off the wet deck. Lots of places to keep it out of the mud. This past weekend I used it to attach two ski ropes together. Countless uses really.

kensington likes this.
  8. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

That sounds like part of an interesting story......?

jbraman likes this.
  9. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

My first degree is in forestry. We were getting evacuated. Someone freaked out on the helicopter, did something stupid, caused the pilot to tilt us pretty sharply, and I found myself hanging out the open door. I had clipped the carabiner on my repelling harness to my backpack so that I wouldn't lose it. As it turned out, the backpack got wedged under the pipe seat, so it kept me from falling out, rather than the other way around. When we got on the ground, I decked the idiot.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF and Gary Gross like this.
  10. ZenEngineer

ZenEngineer Loaded Pockets

I have a locking carabiner on my EDC bag and use it to clip my bag to a chair/table/bike/etc. when I am at a public place. The goal is to make it harder for the bag to be snatched.

mdnitedrftr, THX2008 and kensington like this.
  11. handplane

handplane Empty Pockets

I carry my keys on a full size wire gate carabiner and use it for alot of the same things as jsmitty1967. I prefer the climbing grade because they stay closed and are made to last, out of quality materials. Being able to hold lots of weight is just an added plus

12. Bolster

Bolster Loaded Pockets

OK, I'm seeing the light, here. I probably need to ditch this full size climbing carabiner and substitute a light weight one that's not for holding body weight.

13. Ghost_Recon1968

Ghost_Recon1968 Loaded Pockets

Some of the light weight carabiners can hold a surprising amount of weight too!! Not that I want to test it....

14. ScottH82

ScottH82 Banned

I carry a blackhawk locking carabiner on my EDC Maxpedition Condor II bag and a non-locking Blackhawk carabiner for my keyring.

15. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

Good for you! Probably didn't knock much sense into the person, though.

16. schapm

schapm Empty Pockets

I carry a non-climbing rate one on my edc bag for many of the reasons already mentioned. I've found I can hook it to a Nalgene bottle and hook the bottle to my little girl's stroller when we go for walk. It's handy.

17. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

I don't have any real need for one, but, I carry the one I got while I was in the Army, clipped to my bag. I also have a figure eight around the house somewhere.

18. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

Idiots should be decked.

jbraman likes this.
  19. julioroman

julioroman Loaded Pockets

I carry a small Camp Nano carabiner, its small (about the size of the larger Black Diamond fun-biner) and its strong as hell. I use it to keep my keychain modular. I can add and remove stuff as time goes on or as needed. It really does come in handy because I don't like a lot of things hanging from my car key while its in the ignition.

20. HPFlashman

HPFlashman Loaded Pockets

For the moment, the only thing I use a carabiner for is to clip the dogs leash unto my belt, so that I can use both hands for other stuff, but that biner is stored with the other dog gear and only get use while actually out with the dog. :)