1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Why Automatics for Diving

Discussion in 'Watches' started by FLbeachbum, May 27, 2018.

1. FLbeachbum

FLbeachbum Loaded Pockets

I really like the look of dive watches and have been wanting one for some time now. The problem is that just about all of them are automatic. This seems odd for what is probably not an everyday watch for most people.

Is there something I'm missing? I know you can get some contraption that winds it for you but I'm not looking to spend a fortune here. Just looking to scratch an itch I've had for a while and not have to wear my EDC watch in the salt water.

2. madeinhb

madeinhb Loaded Pockets

From what I've been told by some divers - mechanical watches are less likely to fail.

3. Willy

Willy Loaded Pockets

For some it's kind of a cult thing. The internal mechanics are facinating. If you look at some of the Dive Watch Forums, many tend to look down on quartz divers. I have, at times had as many as 10 or so auto divers. Now I won't even own an auto except for my Sub that I bought new over 35 years ago.
    I agree that it nice to have a grab and go without having to wind and set.
    Also I would guess that a vast majority of these dive watch enthusiasts have never been diving and many probably can't even swim.
    Go with quartz.

4. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Dunno the "official" reason. I went for an auto to avoid battery changes. Not because of the change itself but because every waterproof quartz I've ever had failed its pressure test after a couple of changes at best.

No change, no opening of the back, no (or much reduced) chance of damage. (A solar would also achieve this, of course.)

FLbeachbum likes this.
  5. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

No, it wouldn't. Solar watches have batteries that are charged from solar panels on the watch. The batteries do have a longer life than standard primary watch batteries, however.

6. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Yep, point taken. Technically, autos also need periodic servicing. (For me) it's just finding the longest period between necessary maintenance.

7. Il Duce

Il Duce Loaded Pockets

I have an auto dive watch but it was a grail piece that I wear every day.

8. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Not sure when you had to qualify as a diver to own a dive watch, but oh well. To me it’s a style you like or you don’t. My Armida auto is a daily wearer but I have an ecozilla that is an awesome solar diver.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  9. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

There is nothing in ISO 6425 stating that a dive has to be mechanical. In fact, one of the best diver out there is quartz --> Seiko Tuna (SBBN033).

Breitling used to be SQ divers. Omega makes Seamaster in quartz. Seiko, Citizen and Casio all have diver in quartz.

Just to name a few.

FLbeachbum likes this.
  10. CL01

CL01 Loaded Pockets

I believe most dive watches are automatics because of the battery changes for a quartz. Most people either do the battery changes themselves or take it to a "run of the mill" place for it. Because of that, the seals might not be properly replaced & it doesn't get pressure tested. An automatic isn't opened unless it fails &/or gets serviced. That usually means it goes to a place that knows what they're doing & will make sure the seals are replaced, etc. Also, while most swiss movement autos need service every 5-7 yrs (& probably the Chinese copies), the movements from Japan (Particularly Citizen/Miyota & Seiko) can last much longer.

11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@CL01: At least with regard to Seiko, I think many of the Seiko watches assembled in Malaysia also last much longer. I've never been sure on whether those are using movements pre-assembled in Japan or not -- but I own 3 Malaysia assembled Seiko 5 Sports and the oldest is going on 20 years old without 'missing a beat' ;) !

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

CL01 and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  12. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Your question has been answered but I will add that in the late 60’s-70’s was when diving made some significant advances, PADI was formed, certification cards were issued and hence it became appreciably safer and participation increased fairly dramatically.

The dive watches that were available at the time were all automatics, quartz watches werent introduced until a bit later, so much of it is tradition rather than function.

Marketing by the big Swiss brands has contributed to the tradition and, IMO, the market has demanded their dive watches be autos.

Either will serve the purpose and there are lots of options for great watches with either movement. Pick what you like best and wear it like a boss, most people won’t notice it anyway.

FLbeachbum and Moshe ben David like this.
  13. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

I will add that no matter what you buy, get it from a reputable dealer or seller. I bought a Seiko diver from a big auction site and it filled with my sweat just while I was shoveling snow on my driveway!

14. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

I think most dive watches are limited to desk diving. Personally I am fascinated by the tiny mechanical machine once an automatic watch.

However my current underwater water is a quartz.
    [​IMG]