1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Whose EDC is a hammer & tape?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by mhassler23, Feb 9, 2013.

1. mhassler23

mhassler23 Loaded Pockets

Carry a hammer or tape measure every day at work?
    How do you carry? & what improvements or new options would you like to see?

Designing a new holder for THD, Lowes, Sears & looking for some Pro opinions.
    Thanks in advance & photos of prototypes to follow in a few months.

2. Erasergirl

Erasergirl Loaded Pockets

tape measure yes.
    hammer no.
    i'd like to see a good quality 1" x 6' or 12' tape measure with a lanyard anchor that DOESN'T BREAK OFF!
    they all are lacking in that regards.

ed.
    i can't say i would prefer a holder for a standard tape measure.
    i prefer the classic metal hook attached to the outside.
    i can just imagine wearing a tape masure holder, a cell phone holder and a holder for a multitool...we are all going to start looking like BATMAN.

Last edited by Erasergirl, Feb 10, 2013
  3. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

I was JUST talking to my lady about this. She said it would take too long to undo a flap, take out the tape and use it. Is this true?

If not...this is a pretty easy Skinth to make, even open top.

4. mhassler23

There's basic options out there, mostly smaller versions of a pouch, leather or fabric- smaller, sized versions of a holster.
    Some do have thin flap closure using a snap. Some good forward thinkers on this forum, glad I found it & looking forward to all the feedback.

Last edited by mhassler23, Feb 9, 2013
  5. Tru7h

Tru7h Loaded Pockets

Another option for tape: ever see the electricians belt style? You basically have a 'T' hanging from the pouch that goes through the roll, and the entire thing dangles. You could probably do this in a more compact, tidy fashion. Say, if the whole thing was retractable and secured the tape against the sheath.

6. computermike

computermike Loaded Pockets

7. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I have a small 8' tape measure in my EDC bag, and leave 25' tape measures at work and home, and a 100' reel-type tape at home. The 25s have belt clips on them for when I need to carry one of those around.

Don't carry a hammer, sorry.

8. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I carry a 3 ft or 10 ft Stanley Powerlock tape measure with 1/4" wide tape suspended in my jeans front pocket.

9. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

I use both, and only carry a tape usually. If I carry a hammer, it's in the hammer loop on my work pants, but I only usually do that when moving, such as climbing a scaffold etc.

My tape lived on a leather tape rule holder on my belt until the clip snapped off (Stanley fat max 8m XL), and now lives in my drill holster on my belt.

I wear braces to keep my britches up!

10. derailed

derailed Loaded Pockets

yes have a EDC hammer at work- Facom graphite handled one, also another bigger hammer for heavier work. Railroad your two main tools are: big hammer & bigger hammer! Tape- is that for measuring or sticking? I have measuring tape and a superb 6 inch steel rule plus a roll of self-amalgamating tape in my bag.

11. Erasergirl

I have carried that square stanley tape measure for 20 years.
    this assortment is going into my maxpedition organizer.
    IF the tape measure had a decent lanyard i'd carry it in my pocket.

[​IMG]

12. mhassler23

Derailed, do you use a tool rig/bag/pouch for the Facom or other tools?

13. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

http://www.snowlizardproducts.com/tektabs.html What about something like this on the back? Probably more than the tape measure, but it would add a lanyard ring. Or use Sugru and a D-ring

14. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

Duplicate post.

15. Erasergirl

oh that's clever that is!
    i will be getting that.

however Sugru wouldn't hold up.
    it is too brittle.
    it's quite solid from impact, but it 'tears' hence its removability.
    Epoxy would be a better option.

16. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

Hammer, several sizes of wood chisels, tape measure & camp size handbroom & dusttray are all in one of my plain zippered toolbags that is usually carried into jobs at least once a day so I guess that's edc ;)

Estwing is usually my edc, but I lost my smallest one & have been needing to replace it so for now I just use a cheapie.
    Small steel Stanley 8' tape. Very compact clips on belt nicely. I want a new one of those too cause mine is advancing in age, but I haven't seen the exact one in any local stores.

I did notice (our) Lowes doesn't sell Estwing hammers instead try to sell their crappy Kobalt ones. Home Depot does sell Estwing so I reserve my tool buying for when I go there

As mentioned the carry method is just all tossed in the blue zippered toolbag that comes in the two pack found at HD as well. Its just one compartment toss everything in there loose, including chisels.

Sent from my Mobile Command Center via Tapatalk II

17. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

Mines an estwing too, had it probably 12 years now!

18. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

Mine was about that old when it got lost :(

I do have a 20oz framing Estwing but for more delicate woodwork I use a 16oz (their smallest)

Sent from my Mobile Command Center via Tapatalk II

shmook likes this.
  19. CarpentryHero

CarpentryHero Loaded Pockets

I edc a hammer and tape, in that I'm a carpenter my tape measure is in my coat till I get to the job site, and if I'm working in finished buildings I hook my 16' Stanley to my belt, I use a Leatherman MUT when I can for a hammer, when I'm framing I use a Stilleto Titanium hammer, when I'm demolishing I use either a 28 ounce Stanley Fatmax and the Stilleto wrecking bar. Finishing work I have an Eastwing 20 ounce or a Stanly 16 ounce with fibreglass handle.

The magnetic tape holders I've tried we're often too bulky, trying to incorporate pencil holders and such. So back to hooking it on my belt. Carhartt Carpentry pants are a where its at.
    I would love to have my hammer closer to my hip than the loop below the pockets.
    If only the metal hammer holder would fold up so I didn't need to take the holster off while driving ;) and just take the hammer out then fold it up.

I've been accused of wearing a utility belt, now I tuck what I can hooked in pockets. Here's what I EDC'd last week
    [​IMG]

billybeans and ShadowE like this.
  20. CarpentryHero

CarpentryHero Loaded Pockets

Any chance or a hammer with a Picatanny rail ? That's something I'd definitely buy because I want to mount a flashlight and or laser to my hammer (home defence)

I'd like to see an adjustable length handle hammer, telescopic hammer

A fold up hip ring for hammer carry. Would it be possible to mount a magnet on the backplate to lesson hammer flop?

A tape measure that I can clip to the side of a pocket and trust that it won't fall

I'd also love a pocketable Caliper (only needs to go up to 1 1/4 ")