1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who's hiked with their Rush packs?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Chief Brody, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Chief Brody

Chief Brody Loaded Pockets

On most short hikes and all mountain bike rides, I take my Osprey Raptor 14. Excellent little pack. If I'm planning something bigger, I've got an Osprey Talon 22.

There's a pretty decent weekend of hiking up in NH in the works for mid-September, and I'm just curious about changing up the backpack situation. Would my Rush 12 be up to the task of climbing some 5000'+ hills? I actually haven't even thrown a water reservoir in there yet, as it has seen mostly overnight trip and range day use. Pros: the cargo space and organization (duh). Cons: it's heavier than the Ospreys (though undoubtedly more durable) and no waist strap.

Feedback, please.
    Thanks
    Steve

2. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I live in Florida, so no mountains, but I have hiked through soft sand, swamps, and bogs without issue using my Rush 12. Is it the first bag I reach for? No, but I regularly resolve myself to only taking my EDC bag and kit into the woods with me for a few days to insure I am practicing the techniques I would use if I was stuck with just my EDC bag. With this said, I would stick with a true hiking pack unless you just had to switch up. Good luck and be safe on your trip!

3. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

The bag can handle it if it has the capacity you need and you find it comfortable. I've hiked with my Rush 12 and 24 and didn't have any problems. I prefer backpacks without a waist strap because I carry a pistol on my belt. The weight isn't an issue for me (sometimes I hike with my 8.5# Saddleback backpack).
    Why not give it a try - after the trip you'll know for sure whether it's a good hiking backpack for you.

4. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Urban and suburban hiking. Works fine with me. Its deigned for military and law enforcement operators where it is expected to be gragged and dropped constantly hence some weight on the ballistic nylon. Sports or recreational sustained hiling is different as that one you prefer a lighter pack with a hip belt and there are dedicated hiking packs like Osprey or North Face geared for it. Of course you don't carry one with a belt on your commute to the office but the balck Rush definitely you can, and also take it for hikes if you want a workhorse of a bag!

5. hal_chase
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

hal_chase EDC Junkie!!!!!

It'll work of course but as others have already eluded to its over engineered for the mountains.

6. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

I assume the ventilation would be rather poor as well. May not be an issue for you.

7. Chief Brody

Chief Brody Loaded Pockets

All good points, gents. I think I'll take a hiking backpack hiking. Hadn't considered the ventilation, either.
    Thanks!

8. JT2V

JT2V Loaded Pockets

For long range hiking the Rush 12 and 24 are too short for my tall frame. They rest high on my back in comparison to most people. This may not apply to you. I have a quiver of hiking specific packs (mostly Osprey) all in the larger size that work well for me. Once you get a pack with the separated air flow mesh back, you won't go back.

Chief Brody likes this.
  9. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Actually not because the back padding are raised to allow air circulation.

10. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

I was under the impression that the back pads were covered in fabric rather than a breathable mesh? You bring up an interesting point however. Is the frame sheet ridged enough to say resist bowing under the weight of 2-3 liters of water? Is there padding in the center or would your back be exposed to a hard peace of plastic assuming the flexible sheet bows under the weight?

I'm one of those crazy die hards for external frame packs for backpacking so I'm used to really good ventilation that I've yet to see in any day pack.

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  11. Ike582

Ike582 Loaded Pockets

I used my Rush 12 this past June on a 10 day trip to Peru, including a challenging hike to Machu Picchu. The Rush 12 is a fantastic travel pack, very roomy, superb organization. The Rush 12 and Rush 24 are my "go to" travel packs. However, neither are an ideal hiking pack. They are seriously heavy for their size (especially if packing a large water bladder), and over long distances Osprey's similarly sized packs are much superior. If I were only hiking I would have gone with my Osprey Manta 28 (my "go to" day hiking pack.) Since the trip was 10 days, including a lot of sightseeing and travel, I went with the Rush 12.

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  12. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

While the back padding is raised, the circulation is still pretty poor compared to most comparable hiking packs. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Rush 12, but I had more than one sweaty back on the ride to work (in Florida on my motorcycle).

13. RiskMgr

RiskMgr Loaded Pockets

I've taken my new R24 into the woods, through island jungle, and hiking around DC so far this year. It makes me sweat like a ____ in ____ (fill in your favorite description). Probably doesn't help that it's black, so the sun warms it up (saw this mostly while walking around DC). It's ventilated, but not effectively. I'm a sweater by nature, but this pack significantly exacerbates the issue. I've been trying to figure out how to improve it's ventilation. Any thoughts?

That issue aside, it's performed admirably. I bought it for its durability and modularity; and it has proven to be a great investment thus far.

14. sarge1967

sarge1967 Loaded Pockets

I had a RUSH 72 I had bought for a Bushcraft pack. Though the organization is great, it is far to heavy for long hikes. That and the yoke shoulder strap system did not do my neck any good. I gave the pack to my eldest son and he loves it but it did not work for me.

15. sharpkona

sharpkona Loaded Pockets

Iv tried the rush 12 for hiking into an area to rock climb but that's as far as I'd go, it started to rub :( still use it for university commutes and travelling all the time. I got a north face casimir 32L for proper hiking and it's much much better.

16. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have used it a few time on hikes and different travels - overall it has been great! Love how the straps fits on my shoulders and easy access to everything. One thing i will mention is heat between the bag and your shirt.. I sweat 2x more with this bag because there is no way air can get between, only a few grooves and they make no difference.
    Also its heavy.
    But ergonomics are great and it can be stuffed with quit alot of weight before feeling uncomfortable

17. glockguy110

glockguy110 Loaded Pockets

I hike with it every other day and I also edc it for the last 2 years and I must admit its not that comfortable although I did hike about 11 miles and my shoulder started hurting I don't know if it was because I had about 35 to 40 pounds in it or it was the padding but it hasn't affected the love that I have that bag its worth a buy

18. RiskMgr

RiskMgr Loaded Pockets

The more I carry mine, the more I find it uncomfortable too. Still a great bag, but might be downgrading it to my to/from work bag (currently my adventure/camera bag). What happens if you take the plastic sheet out? Can't help but think it might help with comfort.

Anyone ever try taking out the plastic sheet? If so, how do you get it out w/o destroying it?

19. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

There is a velcro flap at the top of the sheet pocket. Open that, and roll the sheet up, then slip it out. Then you can put it back in when you want to. For me, it's more comfortable with the sheet, but YMMV.

RiskMgr likes this.
  20. Ike582

Ike582 Loaded Pockets

I agree with Medusa that it's more comfortable with the frame sheet in, as it does help hold the shape and structure of the bag a bit.