1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who's got that perfect Jacket?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by ItJustDiz, Aug 8, 2016.

1. PreparedCitizen

PreparedCitizen Loaded Pockets

Is waxed cotton supposed to feel wet or oily? I bought a Triple Aught Design Talisman jacket but ended up returning it because it felt strange to the touch. It also came with a warning that the oils could rub off onto other items!

2. PreparedCitizen

PreparedCitizen Loaded Pockets

I have a few jackets...

For 80 degrees and up wet

Uniqlo Blocktech Parka (in black and navy blue)

[​IMG]

For 65 degrees to 80 degrees wet:

T.A.D. Stealth Hoodie Lt (in UE Gray, Chimera, and Deception / no patches)
    [​IMG]

For 50 to 65 degrees dry:

T.A.D. Rogue (in Chimera and Deception / no patches)
    [​IMG]

For 50 to 65 wet:

T.A.D. Sentinel (in black)
    [​IMG]

T.A.D. Stealth Hoodie (in ME Green/no patches)
    [​IMG]

For 50 to 60 degrees packable:

T.AD. Equilibrium (in Deception)

[​IMG]

For 20 to 50 degrees dry:

T.A.D. Ranger Jacket (in Phantom / no patches)

[​IMG]

For 20 to 50 degrees dry or wet:

Tommy Hilfiger Performance Bomber Jacket (In brown/green and black)
    [​IMG]

For 20 Degrees or below and playing in the snow:

North Face Apex Elevation Jacket (as depicted)

[​IMG]

3. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

There is a number of wax finishes. But as wax it is a bit sticky when new. Then it settles and it is fine. Never had a wet finish though.

4. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Empty Pockets

I don't know if it's perfect, but I just got a Ferrosi Hoody. It's awesome for layering and so far appears to be good in brief periods of rain. Light weight, stretches, very comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

intocoman likes this.
  5. intocoman

intocoman Loaded Pockets

Read a lot of good reviews on the Ferrosi. Felt to light for what I was looking for. How warm is it?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

6. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Empty Pockets

The other day it was in the mid 40s here in NY and rainy...the Ferrosi was comfortable with a t shirt underneath..a long sleeve would have been better. I love it, it is super comfortable, and fits over or under other jackets.. it is not insulated, so if that is what you are looking for, go elsewhere. I wanted something I could use year round as a primary or extra layer (summer to fall/winter) and I think this fits the bill.

intocoman likes this.
  7. ToxicToast

ToxicToast Empty Pockets

It repelled the heavy rain well for the time I was in the down pour (about 5 min)....can't say how it would fare in prolonged exposure.

intocoman likes this.
  8. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Its not perfect, but i love my Drizabone riding coat.

Good points.

waterproof.
    windproof
    comfortable
    not too warm, unless you button in the wool liner.
    very hard wearing (mine is 10 yrs old, i recently rewaxed it, and it should be good for a long time yet)

Bad points

Heavy
    when freshly rewaxed it can be a bit greasy, and the wax can rub off (only an issue every few years)
    only available in brown.
    The sight of a 6'6" bloke with a beard and short hair wearing a calf length jacket can be a bit unsettling for some people.

WillAdams and ToxicToast like this.
  9. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

I really love my Simmons Bilt Road Scholar (horsehide)...I borrowed these pics from the seller:[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

10. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

I don't want to be a spoiler, but IMHO there is no single all around jacket. The rain jacket I use during these hot summer months is all I need now. Come November, December and beyond the winter cold and snow require very different jacket. I have several favorite's and the seasons dictate what jacket is my favorite.

11. Academic

Academic Loaded Pockets

Closest thing I have found so far is an Arcteryx Gamma MX Hoody. I'm on my second one, had first one for years, close to a decade I think.

It is a softshell, so it can and will soak through in sustained rain.

However, it is water resistant enough that I get far more use out of it than I do my hardshells. It has a thin fleece type lining, that when coupled with the windproof and water resistant factors makes it pretty warm. The hood design is fantastic, really snugs down so wind goes around your head rather than inside hood. Visor on hood helps too. Peripheral vision still good with hood on. Has five pockets.

Using the hood, a hat and gloves, and with a thermal (REI PowerDry top) underneath, I've used it walking down to about 20 degrees, and I mean strolling not strenuous hiking. Going inside with the same get up I just lose the hood, hat, and gloves. The jacket is breathable enough that with the thermal it is still comfortable at room temp.

Other drawbacks are that the synthetic fabric means you gotta be careful around campfire, and it is expensive.

Overall it is an major amount of weather protection in a very lightweight package with lots of pockets.

12. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Like some has mentioned, it’s probably no one perfect jacket.
    Perfect will depend on what you do, where you live and season.

The last couple of years I’ve been rotating between 4 everyday jackets, at least one is mentioned in this topic earlier.
    - Fjällräven Skogsö jacket for spring, autumn and cooler summer days.
    - Arc’Teryx Gamma MX hoody for slightly colder weather.
    - Fjällräven Barents parkas for cold winter days.
    - Berghaus down hoody (don’t remember model name). This is a lightweight packable jacket that I use in winter when I want to be more mobile / agile than the parkas allow, and also when I often need to transition between indoor/ outdoor, this one is easy to stuff in my backpack.

Off course I have a :censored:load of other jackets, but thinking back, these have been my go-tos for regular day to day activities.

Another thing to note; After a fascination with hi-tech synthetic garments in my teen and probably far into my 20’s, I’m now often choose natural fibers, at least when suitable for the application. Both cotton and wool is very comfortable and inherently flame retardant (I’m not into leather in clothes, but that is also a fantastic natural material). Most might not consider resistance to flames a big thing, but after years of working in hydrocarbon rich environments, staying away from flammable materials have been one of my main precautions in case of :censored:. I can always keep a light rain jacket in my pack if there’s a chance of rain ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

Do you know of any of the UK ventile shops making jackets in the classic orange color used by the British Antarctic Survey folks?

14. aicolainen

I should stop coming here. You guys give me too many silly ideas...

Gary Gross likes this.
  15. aicolainen

BTW..
    was a just a little too cold for just t-shirt today, so I threw on my old trusty softshell.
    As I was walking the dog, it suddenly hit me, I shouldn't go to work in this old rag, but as I looked closer, I couldn't really find anything wrong with it. The color is good, no sign of excessive wear, all zippers are in perfect shape. I could actually go to work in this jacket.
    Now that I was fully aware that this jacket was still in great shape, I started thinking about how old it could be. Wasn't to hard, since I remember getting it right after getting my first dog. This was the spring of 2002.
    After 16 years of training SAR dogs, hiking, skiing, general outdoor and everyday use, this Mammut New Age is holding up great.
    Problem is, the jacket seems to be discontinued, and I'm not even sure you can find the fabric any longer.
    It's made of Schoeller Dryskin Extreme, and if I ever come across a softshell in this fabric again, I will buy it in a heartbeat.

16. callforfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

callforfire Loaded Pockets

Gave up on TAD never having my size & color in stock (just not quick on the click) when I discovered Kitanica a few years back. Eventually ended up with a Mark I jacket and the fleece liner. About as good as it gets and I don't see myself using anything else in the future.