1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who's getting Olight M2R Pro?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by sarge1967, Oct 27, 2019.

1. sarge1967

sarge1967 Loaded Pockets

So I just watched the video comparing the M2R Pro to the M2R and the Pro is a huge improvement.
    I just got a Fenix PD36R so I am thinking I really don't need the M2R Pro......
    But, dang it! I want one!
    They have that great special on Halloween, and it is such a cool light.......
    Someone talk me out of this!

2. jdavidboyd

jdavidboyd Loaded Pockets

Even though it looks quite similar, I think they should have changed the name, since they changed the battery.... I have an M2R warrior, and it's a great light. Had it for ~2 years now, I believe, and I carry it everywhere I go. It plugs in by the door, so I grab it every day on the way out, and put it back on the charger on the way in. New light looks great, but can't rationalize it while my M2R warrior still works so well.

3. sarge1967

sarge1967 Loaded Pockets

I am trying to think the way you are. My problem is that I am a flashlight junkie.

4. Spuggy

Spuggy Loaded Pockets

I'm thinking about it but torn between the black or the camouflage.

The camouflage looks good, but I may regret it after the novelty wears off! Decisions, decisions...

sarge1967 likes this.
  5. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Was in the market for something with some throw 200-300m and was leaning towards a Thrunite TT10 but am now leaning towards the M2R Pro Warrior when released at the discounted price. Double duty as a weaponlight with the magnetic pressure switch and mount is icing on the cake.

6. sarge1967

sarge1967 Loaded Pockets

Just ordered mine in black.
    :wavespin::wavespin::wavespin:

7. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

It looks great, but I think I am still leaning more towards the Jetbeam KO-02 EDC.

8. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Bundle in black ordered.

sarge1967 likes this.
  9. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Might have, if they had promoted the TIR lens more heavily, but.... the dice rolled a bit differently...

ATB,
    Sam

10. Spuggy

Spuggy Loaded Pockets

I went for the camo bundle after all...

Last edited by Spuggy, Oct 31, 2019
    #10 Spuggy, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    sarge1967 likes this.
  11. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

I ordered the black bundle and an extra battery to get the free light. Now I’m thinking if I should have ordered the camo version. Must resist ordering another one haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 Chris C, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    sarge1967, Spuggy and ballistic like this.
  12. ccwaters

ccwaters Loaded Pockets

bought one, and cancelled my order! After I ordered it, I found out it will only work with the provided proprietary battery, I have a fair number of 21700 batteries, not being able to use any of them, and the fact the spares from olight are triple the cost of a quality 21700 was a deal breaker for me!

On a positive note it only took a couple hours from initial question/contact with customer service to confirm this was the case, cancel order and get my refund. I'm a bit sad would have been great light for my rifle, but $30 for spare batteries of so-so quality is not for me. I've had a few of the olight batteries fail very early on with just a few cycles. Not a huge deal if you can just use your own favorite brand!

Moshe ben David and SOS24 like this.
  13. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I hate lights that use proprietary batteries and why I usually just make sure flashlights can use rechargeable batteries.

Moshe ben David and ccwaters like this.
  14. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

What makes the battery custom/proprietary? Is this confirmed?

Edited: Just did some more research. Meh but not a deal breaker as this will be a special use light for me, not for EDC.

Last edited by ballistic, Nov 1, 2019
    #14 ballistic, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  15. ccwaters

ccwaters Loaded Pockets

The battery/light has both positive an negative contact on the positive end of the battery, not new for Olight, they've done it before. The difference is this time the tailcaps only use on the light is to send the E-switch signal to the head. There is no negative connection from the battery to the tail, it is possible to modify third party batteries, however that could lead to dangerous possibilities and potential shorts.

Nothing is inherently wrong with this other then lack of compatibility with standard 21700 batteries. Casual users probably won't care that much, but it has raised a fair bit of negative commentary with enthusiasts. From an Olight perspecitve it opens up big profit margins on a battery that no one else currently sells @ 3 times current street price.

In the long run if they continue along the path of proprietary battery only lights they may lose a large portion of there current market. For me it is definitely an instant no buy.

And yes it has been confirmed, both buy users with the light in-hand as well as the emails directly from Olight.

16. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the detailed info which I found after doing some research, but will save others with the same questions. I'll probably pick up a spare at some point ~$26 vs a good quality equivalently spec'd non-proprietary 21700 which would be around $11. Not going to risk a short/fire..

17. Donald

Donald Loaded Pockets

Thank you for the information ccwaters! I generally do not mind the proprietary battery to enable in the flashlight recharging, but I do not like that a regular 21700 cannot be used in an emergency. Perhaps if they get some flack or return of big department orders they will come up with a workaround. I suppose the design convenience (or extra profit if one is cynical) might prevent a remedy.

This explains why there is no mechanical tail cap lock out and confirms your information. Turn the light on with the tail switch, then loosen the tail cap. Light still works/stays lit, but the tail switch no longer works. The side switch continues to work.

I suspect there is a side benefit to this design, namely more efficient conductivity, resulting in longer runtimes and/or a brighter flashlight. It would seem the case in this flashlight, but it is hard to tell because of the larger battery. I have seen lights in video reviews designed by the Budget Light Forum members and they often have double springs to provide better contact without making it overly stiff like one thicker spring would presumably do.

I like the light and now that I have the M2R Pro Warrior I do not plan on giving it up. I rarely touch the battery anyway, just drop it on the charger. With the runtimes I really do not need an extra battery....but glad I used the flash sale price to get an extra light which means I also got an "extra" battery and extra MMC3 charging cable. I wanted one at home and one smart USB charging cable for my "electronics go bag." I like both the black and camo finishes.

Although I do not see it as I am typing this, IIRC someone complained about some poor battery performance, or premature battery failure. Olight does guarantee the batteries for a year. When I initially bought an Olight R50 Seeker Pro I got an extra 21650 battery. Something was wrong. Olight sent they would send me a new battery. Sure enough that fixed the problem. Then I requested a replacement for the other 21650 battery and they replaced that one also. The light has worked flawlessly ever since. I have the impression--perhaps from reading--that the initial generation of 21650 batteries had some problems and there was a 2nd and 3rd generation design. I had to follow up a time or two but Olight took care of me.

ccwaters likes this.