1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who truly EDC's an 18650 cell light?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by earthman, Sep 6, 2015.

1. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

When I say EDC, I mean 24/7, a light that you take with you, one that you can depend on and could really need in an emergency/survival type situation.

Apart from the length & possibly the weight of the thing, how do you prepare for the possibility of needing another battery for it? OK, some can take two CR123's so do you carry a couple of spare ones or hope that you can obtain some from some where else?

For those reasons, I EDC an AA and one RCR/CR123 light,..I just wondered how others on here view the situation, not saying anything is right or wrong as such.

reppans likes this.
  2. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Hehe... I wonder the same thing. I suppose the answer is that an 18650 can last an awful long time if used conservatively, it's easy to just top it off frequently, many folks carry back-up lights, and most envision shorter emergency scenarios than you or I might.

But I'll play :) - I've been caught in a couple instances where battery power became a serious a concern and that has lead me to my peculiar tastes in EDC lights/gadgets. When it really counts (ie, away from home traveling/camping) I EDC a 0.85x4.5", 16650 cell flashlight - that's about ~4x Eneloop equivalent. It'll also fully support 1xCR123/16340, or 1xAAA/AA/14500. In a real pinch, I can run it on any battery (eg, 9V, C, D, 18650, 26650, etc.) in a lantern mode. But as is, it'll do ~1000 hrs on a moonlight bright enough for comfortable book reading - I could easily survive on just that output (actually might be my most often used mode). BTW, I also EDC a small (volume of a deck of cards?) USB NiMh/Li-ion battery charger/powerbank.... so the 16650 cell (or a few NiMh's from other EDC gadgets) can also charge my smartphone ;).

3. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

It's also how you define edc. My edc gets me through the day, saves my legs from walking to fetch this or that. I don't carry it for a survival situation. If the apocalypse starts when I'm out and about with nothing but a cr123a flashlight and pour through the wreckage of a looted supermarket - there's a fair chance they will be all out of AAA and AA cells anyway. Who uses cr123a apart from us weirdos? Everyman and his dog will be after the popular ones.

One other point. My jetbeam c8 is rechargeable so if I wanted to edc I could charge from the cigarette lighter in my van or car. Lots of flashlight makers offer this sort of thing now. But having said all that it's rare I don't carry something with a standard cell!

Ben Rubinstein and Liquid Pogy like this.
  4. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

I EDC a PD35 while I'm at work. That includes 24, 48, 72, and even 96 hour shifts sometimes. And yes, I have it in my pocket even when I'm sleeping. I rely on it for emergency and search and rescue situations. The length and width of it don't matter because we have tactical uniform pants. I personally use two CR123 batteries in it, and I keep spares in the bag I have at the station and in the bag I keep on the ambulance.

5. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

I do... Several in fact.. My nitecore mh20 is my pocket light.. It's one of the shortest 18650 lights I've seen.. I do keep 2 extra batteries in my bag but never had to use them because the mh20 is also usb rechargeable.. So my phone or tablet charger will charge it.. Along with my USB Battery pack. I rotate it with my nitecore p12 (18650}, nitecore ec11 (18350) or my sunwayman v10r ti (aa/cr123).

6. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

In my backpack, i carry 6 18650s. 2 are for flashlights and the other 4 are for my vaporizer. They're different lengths though.
    Also eneloops, in aa and aaa. Kept with a traveler charger from xtar.

7. kwispelhond

kwispelhond Loaded Pockets

I only really carry a 18650 while camping, for edc AAA and AA are good enough for my use. I found that 1x 18650 goes a long way but carry a spare in a water-tight box (and some more spares in there too) but have not yet needed it.

As for CR123's in a :censored:-situation, here in Europe you'd be stressed to find one in a shop even in "normal" times but when I think of :censored: stuff I rather think of getting batteries from remotes, kid-toys, portable radio's en whatever but the chance that those are AA's is rather big so that's my favorite format even if I got 14500's in them right now.

8. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I carry an 18650 light regularly on body. Anything from a P60 to an Eagle Eyes X6 to my new favorite Manker A6. My preferred style of pants make it easy (carpenter).

As far as spare cells are concerned, if it can take cr123a cells I'll carry a 4x cr123a Power-Pax caddy in my watch pocket and, if it can only use 18650s, then I have a cut own single 18650 Power-Pax caddy that will fit right beside it in the left leg tool pocket.

Also, there are always spare cells and at least one light in my EDC bag.

9. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Curious as to which type and brand you chose , reppans .... Maybe PM me with a "convo" , so as not to take this thread off-topic ?

reppans likes this.
  10. Burncycle

Burncycle Loaded Pockets

I did. Zebralight SC600 Mk2. It's not too big for EDC (about the size of a surefire 6P). Lost it someplace *grumble grumble*

When I needed a spare battery, I had a second 18650 in the little orange match tube you can get at walmart.

Backup / Task Light is a 4Sevens Mini 123 using rechargable AW ICR123 battery, when I needed to carry a spare I used a waterproof pill fob.

11. Trespasser

Trespasser Loaded Pockets

I carry a phoenix pd32 or tk-15. When I was working in remote locations in Alaska, 3 weeks at a time, I would bring a spare rechargeable 18650, with electrical tape over the contacts, with me. I used it several times a day for the entire three weeks I was there. In 5 years of carrying a 18650 I had to swap out that battery one time during a three week shift. If I was going to be gone for more than a month or two I would bring a charger so I always would have a charged battery in reserve.

When I carried a AA light, or AAA pelican light I was swapping out batteries once a week or more. So yeah they were available, but I went through them 4-5 times as often and the light was no where near as bright. I know there are better lights out there than a pelican but we were limited to class 1 div 1 explosion proof lighting.

12. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

One of Countycomm's tube vaults holds two of those perfectly...but I manage to go two to three months between charges anyway

13. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

I don't edc an 18650 light on body (couple in my edc bag) but i do edc a 16340 (Sunwayman V11Rvn ), I ran out of juice a couple of weeks ago while at work and fell back to my on body backup, another li-ion torch, 10440 (Fenix E05SSvn ).

When I got back to my desk I reached into my bag and swapped the V11Rvn out for a Nitecore EA11 running the 14500. Several other lights of different batt types in my bag as well. I also carry several spare battteries of different types to back them up as well as an Xtar VP2 with the car charger cable.

If I happen to run out for a quick trip without the big bag I try to grab my Fatty (which would likely stay in the car) which has a Fenix PD22vn with a 16340 in it as a backup to the backup.

14. Uchuujin

Uchuujin Empty Pockets

i wouldn't say 24/7, but anytime i'm out of the house i'll have with me the nitecore MH20 on a holster strapped to my leatherman belt sheath. The main reason i went with the MH20 is that it's the smallest usb rechargeable 18650 light, which i feel mitigates slightly the uniqueness of using the 18650 format. I also have an incoming maratac Cu AAA that i'll keep permanently on my keychain and i've been carrying a smaller AA flashlight in my back pocket lately; just in case i can only find those types of cells. but i doubt i'd be far from a usb outlet in my usual urban life.

15. mhanlen

mhanlen Empty Pockets

I carry one daily. Not 24/7 though- but it is my main carry light. When I put on my work uniform every day, it goes in my pocket. I use a smaller tube, Convoy style light. That the basic size and shape of the battery. It's not a thrower by any means- but it works well for my tech job. I don't EDC smaller lights though. I have a Fenix LD15, that doesn't have a pocket clip, but I don't like to carry it, for whatever reason.

16. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

This one is in my car bag everyday.
    Recharges via battery socket.
    Can also use 3 triple A's with insert.

[​IMG]DSCF0120 by T-W, on Flickr

thePlumbah likes this.
  17. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Some interesting thoughts, thanks guys.

I certainly like USB rechargeable lights in general, the S10R and it's base is easily attached to the dash of a vehicle for example, I have the S30R too but I think that may topple off it's stand when going over speed humps etc.

I were mainly thinking about those times when you maybe away from a vehicle or even a 'bug out' bag, what if you got trapped/caught out for an extended period of time, unlikely I know. I assumed that most folk wouldn't pocket carry or belt carry an 18650 cell torch period, looks like I were very wrong.:)

18. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I forgot to ask, which torch is that then? Pretty unusual that it would take AAA's too??

19. Outlander

Outlander Loaded Pockets

I carry a Fenix PD35 for work.

I like Carhartt pants. Large front pockets.

I'll carry a Zebralight SC62w for times other than work.

20. Ryan McKenzie

Ryan McKenzie Loaded Pockets

When I have carpenter jeans on or cargos I carry a Fenix UC35, I'm planning though when school starts back up (tomorrow :cry:) to leave it itn the admin pocket of my rush 12