1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who still carries a hankie? If so what kind?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by themadplumbarian, Sep 9, 2017.

1. kscaddo

kscaddo Empty Pockets

This! I cannot for the life of me see why anyone would pay $10 for a snot rag. In a former life (CW reenactor) I taught my self rudimentary sewing, but this certainly would not be worth my time. YMMV, I'm too busy taking care of the cows.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  2. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

Same reason that people pay $500 for a knife or $2K for a custom firearm. It's just personal preference. Different strokes for different folks.

3. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

I hear you, but when people have money they don’t care what things cost, $20k for a watch that just ticks and breaks down if wet vs a $100 watch that is solar powered, atomic, and can go swimming is kinda a dumb question on which is better, but it’s what people want, I’ve made maybe 20 snot rags for just myself, but more as a hobby, yeah I carry them but there also next to a simple white one, yet there’s napkins in each of my jackets too.. JR

Moshe ben David likes this.
  4. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Just a basic hankie, dark color. Keeping a pair of Nitrile glooves wrapped in it - so have some multi-purpose hankie (if nothing else even for wound treatment) and protecting my hands from human fluids always with me.

ran23 likes this.
  5. ace19636

ace19636 Loaded Pockets

I carry a bandanna if that counts... what color or pattern changes day to day

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6. Getahl

Getahl Loaded Pockets

I love my bandannas. Use them for everything except their intended purpose. I've had a blue or red paisley hankie in my back pocket for about nine years now. They've been more or less cycled through, thrown away when they've become too soiled to clean, or too ratty from use. I've purchased a batch of blue and red plaid ones to replace them, but those have gone missing over the course of the last year. My seven year old appropriated one, too. Time for some new colors, I think.

7. acropolis5

acropolis5 Loaded Pockets

OK, I admit to filing this response several times to related posts never the years. I EDC two bandanas. The first is a large, well washed ,yellow , 22” bandana, HOT DRY IRONED, folded/ fefolded, fit into sterile Gerber Breast Milk bag , air pressed out with a flat serface (a book on a table) and sealed. . Edges and face reinforceed with Gorilla Tape. Taped to the bag is ~48” , 2” Gorilla Tape, wrapped around a piece of clear plastic report cover. Carried behind my front pocket wallet , it’s also a pickpocket deterrent. This packet gives me a clean bandage, sling, smoke mask, signal flag, ( with a stick or pen) a tourniquet, sucking chest wound kit, sweat band , hobo bag, etc., etc. The second bandana is identical, but carried rear pocket as a handkerchief.

8. FiaOlleDog

I have similar emergency use cases in mind for the bandana I'm carrying - also non-sterile, but added a pair of (non-black!) Nitrile gloves in the center to protect them ... maybe worth considering to add?

Your posting made me think to add a pad of sterile gauze pad inside the folded bandana - as mine is not sterile/sealed.

BTW: Have you tried to use the bandana + a stick/pen as an improvised TQ? Would be interesting to see if blood flow/pulse stops (may need medic profesional to assist / verify).

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Jan 11, 2019
    #48 FiaOlleDog, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  9. acropolis5

FiaOlleDog: As noted, my sealed bandana is very clean, but not sterile. In prior version I had inseted 2 foil antibiotic ointment packets in the center of the bandana.. But, eventually they broke from repeated pressure of my wallet. So that inset was dropped. A small 3” x 3” or folded 4” x 4” stetile gauze pad is an interestingb idea. But how to clean the paper cover, so as not to “ dirty” the ironed bandana , is an issue. Same problem with the gloves I mostly plan to use the packet on myself or family, so bloody hands are a lesser concern.

As to the efficacy of the rig as a Tourniquet, (“T”) with a stick or pen as an added windlass, I have little doubt. I saw it done in my advanced first aid training, many years ago. I’m assuming correct application and placement & that the folded T is about 2” wide and tightened til bleeding stops. NB: I used a T , only once, as a volunteer. ambulance EMT, on a nearly severed leg. The patient was awake and not so deep in shock that he was immune to pain.. He screamed “blue murder” from the pain of the application & winding. The ER Doc later told me the T saved his life.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  10. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

Every single day. I have a few of those multipacks from amazon. It is such an easy edc item

11. ChrisS

ChrisS Empty Pockets

I have at least one on me every day. Mostly generic paisley ones but recently I've been carrying Packtowl nano's because they dry so fast and i'm a very sweaty person, especially when working or hiking.

12. FiaOlleDog

Good question, made me thinking. The only (quick) workaround (I don't want to call it a solution) I came up with would be to use small zip lock bags and wipe them on the outside with alcohol or disinfect lotion to "kill" bacteria and viruses ... at least in theory this should work (reduce the number of germs, but will for sure not be 100% sterile) - and put the 3"x3" or 4"x4" gauze pad(s) and a pair of Nitrile gloves inside. So your bandana stays kind of clean. Makes sense?

13. acropolis5

Fia..., that works. Only problem is that the mod will result in a much thicker package. That’s only a problem for someone, like me, who carries it with a front pocket wallet. Same pocket carries my LM Xe-6 and a tac-pen. But hey, variations on a theme are the fuel of innovation ✌️

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  14. stbear

stbear Loaded Pockets

Carry a handkerchief / bandanna everyday.