1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who still carries a hankie? If so what kind?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by themadplumbarian, Sep 9, 2017.

1. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

Ok, like the title says, who still carries one? If so what kind? One of the old school white 20" x 20" 12 for $5 warn in ones, a $1 Walmart bandana, or these newer fancy show off ones that are anywhere from 8"-12" square and are $15-$35 each?

I've always carried one of those cheap white one since I can remember, was great putting in the opposite rear pocket of the wallet, kinda helped balance plus a little extra comfort. That was until about a year ago when I saw one of those fancy ones, I thought they were sooo cool, but I wasn't putting out the price for one! I spoke to one of the makers and he walked me through cause I knew my basics on running a sewing machine, so I got some cheap fabric to do a test run, came out ok, wasn't all out fancy but I thought it was cool, needless to say I ended up getting all sorts of different fabrics, cars, planes, dinosaurs, and a bunch of Star Wars, even did one that's denim on one side and a felt(ever so soft) on the other side. Kinda made it into a hobby for myself, and of course the kids loving it with the Star Wars, lol.. I'd post pics but ever since Photobuckets gone nuts I haven been able to post pics, but I'm more curious as to what everyone else's thoughts are and what they carry? JR

RoadWizard likes this.
  2. tharper2202

tharper2202 Loaded Pockets

I also make my own hanks. They are in the "fancy" catergory. Traditional hanks are 12"x12" so I keep my hanks in that ballpark size. And when I sell them, I keep them under $20 bucks shipped. The majority I sell are $16-18$ shipped.

themadplumbarian likes this.
  3. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

I buy a few of the cheap ones in a Canada flag pattern. Great because I sweat like I'm being interrogated! ;)

4. themadplumbarian

I just buy a fat quarter, so like 18" x like 23". I split the 18= 9" so I can squeeze 4 rough 9x9's which come out around 8-1/2" when done and folded twice make a around 4" square perfect for my pocket. If I was to do custom ones then I'd probably buy the same fat quarter and split it the other way so the 23, so a rough 11" so a 10 to 10-1/2 finished and only get two out of it. JR

5. Hi-up Lineman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hi-up Lineman Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My wife is a hank maker.
    I carry a different one daily !

6. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

I carry a bandanna every day. My favorites are the tie dye and Batik ones sold by REI. They seem to hold up best and being 100% cotton get pretty soft and absorbent. (Hint: DO NOT use fabric softeners or dryer sheets on bandannas.)

Grizz

7. themadplumbarian

Very nice! I must say she does a very nice job! The punisher has always been one of my fave, I'll have to look and see if I can find any punisher fabric.. JR

Hi-up Lineman likes this.
  8. Hi-up Lineman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hi-up Lineman Loaded Pockets

She started out making them only for me. It has turned into a Facebook and Instagram sales business.

9. themadplumbarian

Cool, the wife wants me to do the same, she says "you just make them and I'll do the rest!" But I don't think there that good, I think she just sees $$, JR

10. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

some of my nicer hankies are plaids, checks. I have worn one as a PS sometimes.

11. themadplumbarian

I have some light blue, that's a nice idea. JR

ran23 likes this.
  12. Butch007

Butch007 Loaded Pockets

Been making my own hankies for about 2 years now. For years I was using the cheep old school white ones. Then my wife started buying me 3 packs of colored bandanas. After reading a few threads on here I started sewing my own using a soft felt type of material (faux suede I think?) on one side and cotton linen on the other. I'm not completely happy with the results so I'm always looking for different types of fabric.

What kinds fabrics do you like best?

13. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

A few years back, we had a secret santa here and in it was a hankie that I used to carry for quite some time. I later switched over to carrying a Buff. Run into a situation where I need to get into the attic crawl space of a building. I did not have an actual dusk mask in my tool kit but the Buff solved my situation instantly.

Hi-up Lineman and ran23 like this.
  14. themadplumbarian

I think nothing beats those cheap white ones, after sooo may runs through the washer makes them just perfect, but it's time for a change, I think any fabric is good just needs to be broken in, except one, I bought a elcheapo blanket at Walmart, it was only a buck but is that soft felt, I tried making the ultimate, a blue jean on one side and that fuzzy felt on the other, heavy duty yet so soft on the nose! But who knows? JR

15. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

Right now, I am carrying a cooling towel regularly. These can be soaked in water and then squeezed out a bit to activate the evaporation process which can cool a towel up to 20 degrees. Wrap one around your head or neck and it really helps you beat the heat on a hot day.

16. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

I have a bevy of hav-a-hanks in various colors. I usually have one in my pocket and I have a 4'x4' cotton linen "hank" in my bag.

17. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

I have a vast assortment-Hanks by Hank, Lion Tribe Armory, Anchor Hanks, Pocket Hanks, Eden Ranch Accessories, several other makers on Etsy. If I'm doing real work, I'll usually carry a bandana in case things get messy.

18. themadplumbarian

Right, carry a nice fancy one, but also carry a "I don't care" get dirty one..
    also helps thicken things in the back pocket to counterbalance the wallet on the other side, lol. JR

Gary Gross likes this.
  19. Kevin Walker

Kevin Walker Empty Pockets

I have a hankie or bandana in all my back right jeans pockets. It helps when I need a rag and also keeps my phone from wearing through the denim when I have pockets what aren't lined. My favorites are Hav-a-Hank and Slinghammer Co.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

20. YankeeHotelFoxtrot

YankeeHotelFoxtrot Loaded Pockets

I purchased and recently received a HanksbyHank "Map Frankenhank". I like it a lot - its a south Pacific-area map in that familiar parchment color.

I'd recommend it.

ran23 likes this.