1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who owns an invicta? / help me pick a watch

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Ogre, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Ogre

Ogre Banned

I know they get mixed reviews....wondering who here owns/has owned one and what you have to say.

I've been eyballing budget watches the past week, and im REALLY tempted to buy a 5053 like so
    [​IMG]

these seem to get pretty good reviews, and supposedly are a lot of watch for the money, in this case i can find it for about 85 bucks.

I'm dead set on a watch with a blue face, and liking the "pepsi" bezel a lot.
    I've considered the pepsi mako....about 30 bucks more.....probably a slightly better watch, but i like the look of the invicta more
    [​IMG]

also considered theSeiko SKX009. like it, probably the highest quality of the ones ive considered, however its a little plain to me and about 100 dollars more. also the face isnt as rich of a blue, nearly black looking. still, if i could find a better price i would grab one.
    [​IMG]

theres the SNZF pepsi seiko.....cheaper, similar looking to the skx009. non screw down crown.....
    [​IMG]

all blue Croton CA301094SSBL. Pretty nice looking.....but i know NOTHING of this company. another automatic watch at 80 bucks, im a bit hesitant
    [​IMG]

i do like the "submariner homage" style watches. i think i like the way the invicta looks the most. though i like the supposed quality of the skx009 the most.

any input on invicta is appreciated, and any suggestions in the the price range between the croton and the seiko are also appreciated (80-190 bucks)

wtheesfeld likes this.
  2. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

All in my opinion, but if you want a looks watch go with whichever one you like best ( seems to be the Invicta) and make sure you buy from a good seller just in case you get a lemon. If you want an automatic watch that can dive on the cheap, IMO a Vostok Amphibia is the way to go. Rough around the edges, acrylic crystal, cheap band, fairly bad lume, but they are VERY reliable. The 2416B movement used in auto/date Amphibs is in my Komandirskie, and it's been running great and keeping good time. A watch has been independently tested ( don't remember the source) and successfully exceeds the 200m WR rating.

Jayphog and Ogre like this.
  3. Ogre

Ogre Banned

thanks.....i forgot to mention: i dont really care about the dive part, i just like the look. I wont be doing anything more than washing my hands to doing dishes with it on. Only watch i ever swim with is a gshock.....even then i usually take it off just because i dont like to wear any watches while swimming.....and i dont go any deeper than about 10 feet down in a lake, ever.

Really, i just want (like you said) a 'looks' watch that keeps decent enough time, and is reliable enough not to crap out for no apparent reason.....and maybe survived being banged into a wall once in a while. any time i know im going to be doing something dirty/abusive, i wear my gshock.

thatotherguy likes this.
  4. Ogre

Ogre Banned

well whatever.....i ordered the invicta. so cheep, if i dont like it that much its no big deal, or i can sell if for at least what i paid, since it was only 85 bucks at they go for 100 on ebay.

looks pretty nice, hopefully it feels nice too

(not my pic)
    [​IMG]

5. Merrib64

Merrib64 Loaded Pockets

I would cross the Invicta's off my list I have had several and had nothing but problems with, so I gave them away.

Ogre likes this.
  6. Ogre

Ogre Banned

well, seeing as it showed up today, the advice is a little late! LOL.

7. Cornholio2188

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

lol! Well I was gona say something negative...but show us pics! :p

8. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

I have two of their Russian Diver's for a couple of years now with no problems and they keep excellent time.
    I have read on this forum however that luck seems to play a role in their function?
    regards
    Froley

9. mta5888

mta5888 Loaded Pockets

Just bought a Invicta 8926 Pro Diver. Nice watch. fits well, feels good, and looks great! But I don't wear it full time, so now I have to invest in a watch winder. But still Invicta does a good job!

10. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I have an Invicta diver's chronograph watch (says waterproof to 200M) that is truly a big mutha watch. The watch itself is about 2.25" in diameter, not including the stem or buttons. The stem adds another 0.5" and the leather band it came with is an inch wide and 3/8" thick. It was given to me about 4 years ago and I have never worn it except to try it on. I have 9" wrists, but the watch is so large that, on me, it looks like a full sized adult watch on a 5 year old child. It has been sitting in the box for at least four years and the time is still nearly perfect - about 3 minutes fast.

11. Myth90045

Myth90045 Loaded Pockets

Pics??

Too late now, I know, but my invictas have all worked flawlessly without any issues. Hope you like it!

12. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

I'll censor my invicta bashing since you've already bought it, but I really would have gone with the Mako. :p Some of them work great, some not so much. Orient is reliable (they're owned by Seiko, and they make their own movements).

Best of luck with it, enjoy. They are some good looking watches. (because they routinely rip off good looking watches)

13. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

Invicta, great watch. i have a bunch, croten, also great, but if you look at the bands on the side you'll notice that there folded rather then solid like the Invictas. another note some of the Invictas have the same movement as a Rolex, if you wear your watch everyday then i would go with a auto, there not expensive, for the extra couple of bucks youll never need to buy a battery. i have a few Invictas, and none of them have given me any problems, and they've taken a beating! JR

14. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

Ummmm... No. Not at all. Not even a little, really.

Thumbed from my mobile

15. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

I didn't say identical. JR

16. paul_ems

paul_ems Loaded Pockets

I wear Invicta watches, and have never had any problems.

rongallant likes this.
  17. Skunk Ape

Skunk Ape Loaded Pockets

LOL, they do have the same as some Tags.

18. Red33

Red33 Loaded Pockets

Invictas are what's they are....not the best, not the worst. I have one, can't remember the model, and its ok. Crappy stainless band though.
    I have had seiko that didn't make it 6 months, G shock that just up a died for no reason, luminox that gave up the ghost in a year, no names that I have had since I was a wee tot that are still running.
    My point being is sometimes its a crap shoot. If you like it, that's all that matters.

19. Skunk Ape

Skunk Ape Loaded Pockets

It's a crap shoot indeed. But how your taken care of in the event you get "crap" is what counts.

I have had an Invicta on for the past few weeks. Love it. That being said, get the Seiko. Just do it. I have the 009 and LOVE IT TO BITS. Seiko also has great customer service. I'm not saying Invicta doesn't. They had service issues a few years back but resolved that for the most part.

20. Red33

Red33 Loaded Pockets

I used to be a die hard Seiko fan, but after my wife bought me a very nice model chrono one year for Christmas and it stopped working after 3 months, I had a change of heart. After trying a battery replacement, and a trip to the jeweler it was purchased from, I returned it to the factory well under the warranty period. They promptly sent me a letter saying that it would cost several hundred dollars to repair and that they could not honor the warranty due to a change in the movement manufacteur, or something like that. Thus ended my love of Seiko. I did own a couple of Monsters years later,but just wasn't that impressed with them.