1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who likes "odd" blade shapes?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Tyrolee, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Tyrolee

Tyrolee Loaded Pockets

Now I think I may be weird or something, because I generally do not prefer a standard clip or drop point blade, I tend to favor, "odd," blade shapes such as the Spyderco kiwi, tasman salt, balance and equilibrium, and the Szabo. I have to say one of my grail knives is the Dodo just because of how odd the shape is, it so cool... Anywho does anyone have the same mindset as me/ share my fancy towards odd blade shapes? Pictures are very welcome, and have a nice day :D.

PS: correction I am so far beyond weird ;)

2. A.D.D.i.c.t.

A.D.D.i.c.t. Loaded Pockets

I'm exactly the same way. One of the big reasons I'm such a spyderco fiend. I love the wharnie's, sheepsfoots, hawk bills, reverse s, etc.

Cobra 6 Actual and Tyrolee like this.
  3. Xiii
    • In Omnia Paratus

Xiii Loaded Pockets

I have had a few blades with odd/unusual shapes.I have found that they can sometimes be difficult to sharpen.
    Xiii

4. SpyderPrepper

SpyderPrepper Loaded Pockets

• Hot-linked image removed per Rule 4
    From a collection stand point, I love unique looking knives. From a use standpoint I avoid them at all costs, they are simply either a) too difficult to sharpen or b) poorly designed for task at hand. Like this one for example:
    [​IMG]

Neat looking blade based on a very old design, but imagine sharpening this thing? No thanks! I don't even like sharpening tantos...

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  5. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I don't like odd blade shapes unless there is a specific purpose for it. I think form should follow function.

Nick4305, Renegador, warchild and 8 others like this.
  6. Prætorian ®

Prætorian ® Loaded Pockets

The only "odd" shaped knife I find useful is a fillet knife. Can't imagine the trouble of sharpening one. Now from a collection standpoint, yes they are fascinating.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

7. Ace Krampus

Ace Krampus Loaded Pockets

I think the Szabo is the best looking knife in production. The only reason I don't have it is... I have absolutely no use for it. So I guess the answer to the question is yes and no. I don't think wharncliffe's are odd, but if they are, then I guess I'm definitely a yes, since they're just about my favorite blade shape.

8. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

I wish I knew what you were talking about... ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FACE, GrayMouser, vegassprky and 5 others like this.
  9. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

You mean like some of Gil Hibben's designs?! Nah, not me.

10. Tyrolee

Tyrolee Loaded Pockets

Awesomeness!!! I just ordered the tasman for my new edc knife :D

Lorenzo, Cobra 6 Actual and deeker like this.
  11. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I like the Spyderco Matriarch2 for its function, but I've never had to use/sharpen it.

I like blades that I'm comfortable sharpening. And I'm only comfortable if I an sharpen them well;) A dull knife is a dangerous knife.

12. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Hmm, not usually but I absolutely fell in love with the Zulu the minute I laid eyes on it. I suppose wharncliffe might be odd to non-knife enthusiasts, and that's growing on me as well.

[​IMG]

13. JustaGhost

JustaGhost Loaded Pockets

does tanto count? i love tanto blades maybe cause ive always been into martial arts and they look like mini ninja swords. i had a spyderco and didnt like the shape but it was a great knife.

Cobra 6 Actual, Renegador and Tyrolee like this.
  14. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

I love the karambit/hawkbill blade shape personally.

The one that started it for me was the Victorinox bakers knife:

[​IMG]

It's a great little knife, but as it turned out it was a bit of a lightweight so I started looking for something a little heavier after carrying it for a bit. The Vic Bakker is still my dedicated food knife though. If there are any backpackers here they definitely should check it out, at 27,1 grams it weighs less than one ounce :eek:

Next up was my beloved Böker Bat (aka Batman):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I absolutely love this knife, it's my most carried folder and my to go to knife ever since I got it about a year ago. I use it for pretty much anything except outdoorsy stuff (I prefer fixed blades for heavier outdoors-tasks).

I should probably get a baby-bat too someday. But I want a Spyderco Griptilian first even though it borders what I want to pay for a folder & I doubt it'll be as useful as the Bat in terms of utility. I love the Southard & Zulu as well but the Southard is definitely out of my price-range.

[​IMG]

15. MiteyF

MiteyF Loaded Pockets

I'm with Jon, unless the "odd" blade has some special function, they seem absolutely pointless. Moreover, they're usually expensive, as they don't typically sell a lot of them, adding to the "why?" factor. The "weirdest" blade I've ever owned is a fully serrated Spyderco, and that's only because I carry it when sailing for cutting lines... 99% of the time, there's no reason even for serration. Hell, even a half serrated blade is FAR less useful than a regular drop point in a vast majority of situations. If someone I knew pulled some of these goofy knives I've seen here from their pocket, I'd likely look at them :censored:-eyed and ask, "what the hell is THAT thing? Get a real knife!"

No offence to anyone of course, I just don't get it. Knives are tools, and having a blade because it "looks cool" is, to me, akin to owning an 18.35mm wrench just because it's "different"...

Hey, you asked ;-)

Cobra 6 Actual, atilano and Tyrolee like this.
  16. Renegador

Renegador Loaded Pockets

I will admit, I enjoy playing with oddly shaped blades. The trick is figuring out a use for it once you get it! My sneaky conniving mind loves making me go broke, so obviously I am typically successful in finding a use! :D

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Cobra 6 Actual and Tyrolee like this.
  17. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Collecting vs. using, you decide. I tend to use what works. I tend to use what works for me. Ken Onion's Spec Bump recurve or a straight-up machete.

[​IMG]

18. BarksAtCats
    • In Omnia Paratus

BarksAtCats Loaded Pockets

I don't know whether or not this qualifies, but my favorite blade design is the sheepsfoot blade
    [​IMG]

A lot of knife manufacturers make a modified version of this but I prefer a very straight edge profile, with a spine that follows parallel to the edge until almost the very end when the spine curves abruptly to meet the edge.

Edited 12,000 times trying to get the photo in. :banghead: ;)

Last edited by BarksAtCats, Jan 8, 2014
  19. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Blades are made for cutting,,,, the more effectively they cut, the more i love them.
    I really find hard to identify some blades, fully serrated and arcued like a bow, as a good cutting tool for common works (...).
    Only my opinion.
    Btw, some shapes are made more "for fun" than other targets, i think.
    Nick

Montani and Tyrolee like this.
  20. Montani

Montani Loaded Pockets

As a knife user, I don't see a need for an odd shaped blade. Tried and true designs got that way because they do their job well.
    If I happened to be a collector with no intent on actually using the knife, then unusual designs would have an attraction.

JonSidneyB and Cobra 6 Actual like this.