1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who knows about Accutrons?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by RichinVA, Nov 29, 2013.

1. RichinVA

RichinVA Loaded Pockets

I have my fathers Accutron, date code is 1967, but no model #. Whom can I ask about it? 14kt gold case, waterproof. Here's a pic. Would like to wear it some, but needs a battery and new band, at the very least....

TIA

After some searching, looks like it may be a 1967 218 asymetric, but I still don't see one with the darker face.

[​IMG]

Kinzei and Jason Baehm like this.
  2. RichinVA

RichinVA Loaded Pockets

OK, after some more research, got it apart with a homemade wrench (snap ring pliers) and installed a new battery. After some searching on how to set it, running fine. Also installed this high quality (!) band, at least until I can get another one. My father absolutely loved this watch, and I've been lax in getting it running. Here's to you, Pop. [​IMG]

PS the screw that holds the battery clip is the absolute smallest screw I've ever seen. Of course, I dropped it...........Pop must have been watching, because I felt it hit my flip-flopped foot. A few minutes with a magnet found it, and even then I had to put it under a magnifier to make sure it was the screw. Very tiny.

Kinzei likes this.
  3. RichinVA

RichinVA Loaded Pockets

Looks pretty good.............my granddaughters bracelet and her great-grandfathers watch........good combo..........
    [​IMG]

Kinzei, Kilted1 and AK Adventurer like this.
  4. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

Very nice, my father still has his spaceview that he bought at expo 67 ,
    my brother wore it for awhile until it fell onto a concrete floor.
    after that it sat in a box until a watch enthusiast friend brought it to a "reputable" jeweller who got it running but only for 6 months .
    I opened up the battery compartment and saw what was done, there was a battery that was jury rigged with bits of metal.
    I plan on finding the right battery to finally get the watch running for my dad, he deserves to enjoy such a nice watch.

Kinzei and Kilted1 like this.
  5. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

I knew I had a picture around somewhere, here is the watch, the battery he used and the two bits of metal that were used as spacers I suppose.
    [​IMG]

there is a good website around the webs you can look into for actual repairs of the accutron watches, the guy running it really knows his stuff and knows the actual model of the replacement battery to be used since the original is no longer manufactured.
    Iwish I knew the name of the site but I lost it when my acer netbook was destroyed.

6. RichinVA

RichinVA Loaded Pockets

Ox,

From my research, yours seems to be a 214, which is a different animal altogether. Easier batter change, if you can find the right battery. There was a 395 in mine when I got it opened up, so I installed a new one and it seems to be running fine. I believe they are totally different movements.

And from a resale standpoint, yours seems to be way more collectible/valuable.

The cheapest service price I found online was $225, and that was really just to open it up and change the battery........ I can buy a heap 'o Timexes for that.....:). Not saying I won't go that route, but it sure would make me ponder........

I appreciate the comeback, hard to find good info out there.

Thanks again!

ox71 likes this.
  7. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

I know a bit about accutrons, so let me enlighten those who don't.

The Bulova Accutron is a marvel of engineering. The watch came out in the transitional period between mechanical watches and quartz watches. Instead of using the typical balance spring to time the watch, it uses an electro-mechanical tuning fork system. Inside the watch there is actually a very small tuning fork with a coil of wire on each end of the fork. This coil is driven by an oscillating circuit at the resonant frequency of the fork. this provides a much higher frequency "beat" than the traditional hairspring oscillator. If you hold your watch up to your ear, you can actually hear the tuning fork "humming".

A lot of the technology used in the manufacture of the watch is extremely precise, especially for the age of the watches. The gears that drive the smooth sweeping second hand have cogs on them that are approaching microscopic. This makes these watches extraordinarily hard to work on for anything other than a battery change. Parts are scarce or non-existent, and they can't be manufactured anymore.

You think those screws were small? Look at the teeth on the gears:
    [​IMG]

RE: the battery thing: I believe (I may be wrong) that some of the Accutron batteries are no longer in production, and it's common practice to use a spacer to make an existing battery fit. I don't believe there are any downfalls to doing this, pretty much all the little coin cells are the same voltage.

8. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

Yeah the older batteries had mercury in them and no longer available, but there is a newer battery that fits, I read on the site that I no longer can find.
    I am sure the spacer thing works but it only worked for a short time in my fathers watch, perhaps I will try another battery in it next time I visit

9. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

If the watch sat unused with a dead battery in it for a long period of time, it may not be the battery at fault. While those watches are lower maintenance than the traditional mechanical, they do still require oil, which can gum up over time. A dead battery sitting in there is also prone to leaking and deteriorating components.

10. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

Thanks to this thread I did a little research to find the accutron repairer I spoke of, I found him at accutron214 dot com.
    Any how the parts in my photo are a conversion of a 395 battery(1.5volt) to 1.3volts which the 214 tuned to from the factory, the parts in my picture are battery, brass disc, copper plate with diode. Now there should be a small spring that I did not find on the watch.
    I plan now on buying a new kit with 2 batteries and I will see if that works