1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who is using an urban zippy?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Ken Watson, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

Thanks! I could not agree more! I actually ordered some new patches for this bag but they're stuck in the mail :( Hopefully soon! Haha!

2. Ken Watson

So far I would say in a way I agree, and in a way I don't. It's 24.5L. If you mean if gets unfairly compared to more technical, 35L+ hiking packs then I agree. But, I've owned lots of packs in the 20-35L size range (goruck, TAD, TNF) and this carries 20-25lb as nicely as any other pack its size (and in my case, better, but I think this comes down to body size and personal preference as well).

3. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

When I think of a technical pack, I think it starts with a load bearing waste belt, followed by proper stays, clearance and lift. Goruck and TAD do not make what I consider load bearing waste belts. TNF does on some of their bigger mountaineering packs with but adding frame sheets without a good belt does very little for carry. As far as Goruck, TAD and the Zippy are concerned it will come down to who's shoulder straps you like best. I guess what I'm trying to say is, the Zippy is a bag for carrying stuff from your car to office or jobsite, maybe a travel bag or man purse....maybe a tactical gear bag. That's exactly what it was designed for. It should be judged along those lines. I guess I never considered how mine carried since I'm not going to carry it like i would a pack designed to be "really carried". I doubt Kifaru put much R&D into how the Zippy would carry, competing with bags like the ones from Goruck and TAD. It's a good bag, just taking me some time to get used to. I have a 14'r and couldn't be happier with it. It just has no inconveniences, as far as I'm concerned and is designed for "real carry". I would love to have a bag that was the size of the zippy with the zipper setup and layout of the 14'r, but simple with no suspension....just a bag to throw around day to day.

4. Ace

Ace Empty Pockets

I agree with you 100%. The urban zippy is exactly what the name implies. Created for urban commutes, day trips, back and forth to work etc. The purpose was never to throw a thousand pounds in it for a quest on the Appalachian trail for 6 months. For its intended use, it's perfect. Laptop, extra clothes, rain gear, 2 bottles of water, snack bars, camera, and other things that you would need on a day trip or sight-seeing through New York City. The bag is made for easy access of items you might need right there and then. Top pocket and side pockets are brilliantly designed for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Ace

Ace Empty Pockets

Is this the Kifaru X-ray ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

Standard (tactical) Zippy

Ace likes this.
  7. Ace

Ace Empty Pockets

Sweet bag !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roguetrooper likes this.
  8. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

Thanks man.

Ace likes this.
  9. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

A very similar bag to the Zippy without all the straps and zips is the Mystery Ranch/Kletterwerks Kletterflip. That's the bag I'm into today. 1000D, straight up top loader.

onebadwagon and Ace like this.
  10. Ken Watson

Yes the kletterwerks flip and hill people gear umlindi were both on my radar when I was looking that the zippy. The flip looks awesome but I ruled it out due to not having side water bottle pockets and no easy way to attach admin. But for a really minimalist setup it looks sweet. The umlindi has side pockets but it's a little larger than the zippy or flip but it's also a good possibility if someone wanted something a little bigger than the zippy.

Ace likes this.
  11. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

Gonna bump this abit Has anyone fitted the Kifaru Side Pockets on their UZ? If so, how did you attatch it, and how does it work in general?

#31 Rainy, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  12. Ken Watson

I suspect you could rig them somehow by clipping them to the compression straps but one of the best things about the zippy is the big side pockets and the mesh pockets on the inside of those. Putting side pockets on would render these non functional.

If you want a platform well suited to adding side pockets I would take a long look at the xray.

Rainy likes this.