1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who is using an urban zippy?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Ken Watson, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Ken Watson

Ken Watson Loaded Pockets

I know these were pretty broadly criticized upon their initial release due to the lack of structure. Since then they have released the omni sheet which supposedly helps.

I've had a chance to handle one at a local shop and I feel like there's some kinda charming about it.

I like the old school klettersack sort of look but with the side pockets that fold out to get access.

I like how well it appears the 500d admin pocket integrates into the front.

Only obvious thing to dislike is the price of course, but hey its only money. The thing about money is, you can always make more!

Anyways just curious if anyone has used one long term that has any input. It's wierd, you basically NEVER see these for sale used, so I get the feeling the folks that use them, hang onto them.

Cheers!

Ace likes this.
  2. Ace

Ace Empty Pockets

I love my urban zippy. The admin pouch on the front is in my opinion a must. You put anything that you want close at hand and easily accessible at hand. The Omni sheet is great and gives structure to the bag. The bag is durable and expandable to fit a ton of stuff. The side pockets are great and allow access without having to unzip and dig through the bag. The design of the urban zippy is clean and does not have that blaring military look which is nice while in urban environments. The pocket on the top flap is perfect for sunglasses and chap stick and other nick nacks. The bag is a bit pricy but the quality is evident when you use it.

[​IMG]

#2 Ace, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  3. slivver71

slivver71 Loaded Pockets

I have a tactical zippy and I think it's a great bag. Well worth the price. The Admin pouch is a definite must for organization of smaller items. I also have a set of Dunamis gear long pockets on the sides for the extra stuff I carry during winter time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace likes this.
  4. Jay PS

Jay PS Loaded Pockets

I switched out my EDC bag earlier this week from the GR1 which has a funny way of continually working its way back to the preferred carry. I packed all my stuff in the Urban Zippy and was going to go ahead and work that for a little while but the lack of structure, even with the Omni Sheet bugged me. It felt lopsided and I didn't really get a good sense of where I would stick my laptop/surface pro 4. I've been waiting for an opportunity to break out the Alpha One-Niner Evade and decided to go with that instead. I've enjoyed it thus far, it's sleek, has plenty of room, and I've been able to get to my stuff with relative ease. I will give it a few weeks and report back as to my overall thoughts.

Ace likes this.
  5. Ken Watson

Thanks guys awesome to get some pics and feedback!

I have a 34L GR2 and recently sold a 21L GR1. The 21L GR1 was a no go for me, I'm not a huge guy but I have a 17.5" neck and the straps on the smaller gr1 are way too close together where they attach at the top of the bag, they bit into my neck and just didn't feel right. My GR2 is better in this regard but it hold more weight than the frame sheet can support properly, so while I like it, it's far from perfect as well. A 26L gr1 might be the sweet spot, but with so much structure and no compression its still not ideal. The evade looks interesting, I wish I could see one in person, I can't escape the feeling that they seem "light duty" for some reason. I think I'd be more likely to get the sneaky bags version with 1000D and #10 zipper.

I think lack of dedicated laptop sleeve is the biggest weakness of the UZ, but I think the amount of laptop carry ill end up doing with it with be minimal, and my laptop is small (Lenovo x1 carbon) so it would fit in the hydration pocket inside a sleeve for the odd time i did carry a laptop in it.

Ace likes this.
  6. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

All the previous points made are valid. Both the Tactical/Urban Zippys are great, but only if you're hauling stuff that's not a laptop.

I found that going to parks and stuff with the family the pack worked great - but for everyday the 25L was a tad large and it doesn't function well for me as a work bag - the lack of structure and no laptop compartment made it a bit difficult to carry; at no fault of the pack - it's just not made for that.

Office switches between the GR1/Evade. EDC is either mostly my Vertx EDC Ready and sometimes Antero. Travel is my GR2. I'm set.

Ace likes this.
  7. slivver71

slivver71 Loaded Pockets

I don't use a laptop for work and my zippy carries my lunchbox, pens, stethoscope, shears, etc. also my jackets and winter gear in case it snows or dips below 20 degrees. But if I were to carry a laptop regularly, I'd get a gr1 again. They're great for that purpose and then some.

8. Bobby Leang

Bobby Leang Loaded Pockets

Then the UZ is awesome. :)

9. Ken Watson

Hey slivver, any observations in comparing the zippy to the litespeed? Seems like you carry the litespeed more eh? I have a new style EDC which I like, but I need something a little smaller and lighter. I guess the litespeed has similar limitations in terms of laptop carry. It see it as being a little smaller, having more structure, but no side pockets. I'm also not sure I really need another mega tactical looking bag (but I do Iike the EDC for days I feel the need to harness my inner mall ninja haha).

Any less obvious differences come to mind having had both?

Jeff4snow likes this.
  10. slivver71

slivver71 Loaded Pockets

I use the zippy more cause I work a lot more than I am home (unfortunately). The lightspeed is my gym and going out with the family bag. I also have a black Arcteryx Khard 30 in case I need more room for family outings. If you like the lightspeed style, the TAD EDC has a waterproof slot towards the rear that would make a great computer sleeve. I got rid of mine cause I preferred the lightspeed and didn't want 2 similar packs. Anyways, the TAD has much better structure than the zippy which has none. But the zippy expands better for more bulky items. The lightspeed will work much better for a laptop if you put the transporter tail inside to hold it there, but I'd still put it in a sleeve. I'm debating getting some small side pockets for the TAD from kifaru just to have some extra room. Kifaru makes excellent pockets for a reasonable cost.

#10 slivver71, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  11. Ken Watson

Yeah my TAD EDC has the "dry bag" pocket. It's a good pack overall but it's kinda fussy/heavy/overkill for day to day use.

12. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

I also have a Tactical Zippy. It's my favorite weekend bag. I have a 5.11 Vertical pouch on each side, and a condor TnT pouch on the front. A bedroll easily attaches to the bottom and It'll carry enough gear for overnight trips.
    I like it so much that I've been considering getting an Urban Zippy as my day to day bag.

13. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

As much as I want to like my Zippy, I just keep going back to another bag. I have the luxury of owning many Kifaru products but the Zippy feels like a fail to me. I like the way it looks and it's built well but for the light duty that it is intended for, there's just too many zippers getting caught up in rain flaps and straps going on. I've rigged mine up to be used as a large lid (like the guide lid) on a hunting pack where I think it will serve well. I've yet to run it though.

14. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

I would love it if they made a small bag like the zippy without the side zippers, just a top loader or a vertical zipper like they have on the 14'r. That has proven to be extremely fast and handy. I know Dunamis makes such a bag, but I would want mine to say Kifaru on it. Just my OPINION.

15. Scoman

Scoman Loaded Pockets

The UZ is good very good as long as it comes with the omni sheet and the organiser on the front. I passed mine on to get a Marauder, long story. The internal organisation is good and it's comfortable to wear long term. There are two compression straps on the pack which I did not use. I did however utilise one as a waist belt instead of paying for the optional extra.

16. Ken Watson

I bought a black UZ from the local tactical store today. Black 500d pocket and omnisheet are on order from kifaru. Hopefully I'll see then in a couple weeks.

I brought my TAD EDC into the shop with me and transferred my gear into it so I could compare, before I bought it.

Initial thoughts:
    Definitely very comfortable with around 15-20lb worth of gear. More so than my TAD bag, but to be fair with the waist belt installed and sternum strap fastened the TAD would certainly haul a 40lb load much better, but that is not my goal here.

The bag hangs very well with only one should strap on, which is nice for an EDC bag, I'm surprised more reviews don't specifically comment on single strap carry.

The second strap pretty much always twists a half twist when I put the bag on. But it always twists the same way, I think that fixing it won't be a big deal. We'll, it'll either become or annoying or second nature. I don't think it's too bad though.

Laptop carries better than I expected. The back panel has more padding than I originally thought and the pouch seems to have either a little bit of a false bottom or some padding in the bottom.

Overall the bag has more structure than my initial impressions, but I handled a tan one and an MC one originally, and the one I bought is black and seems stiffer. My black goruck bag seems stiffer than my gray one as well, maybe just a psychological thing. It has enough structure I'm not even sure I'll use the omnisheet.

The organizer is a must though for sure. Zero admin of course. The thing that is nice is I think the kifaru organizer looks good on the bag, one of my struggles with goruck is mounting administrative. Internally at the top of the bag made the admin get in the way of the main compartment, and mounting admin to the outside pretty much ruined the overall look of the bag. Since the 500d and zippy are almost literally made for each other it works out (from what I've seen in pics, I guess I will known soon how it translates to real life).

Now to get my bank account back onto life support. Hahaha

Rainy likes this.
  17. Ken Watson

Just reposting from the show your edc bag thread. So far I love this thing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

slivver71 and Ace like this.
  18. Ace

Ace Empty Pockets

Sweet zippy brother !! All it needs is a few killer patches on Velcro

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slivver71 likes this.
  19. Roguetrooper

Roguetrooper Loaded Pockets

Admittedly, not the UZ but this is my Zippy...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I use a Blue Force Gear Dapper Insert Panel as a framesheet - Fits perfectly and is covered in velcro, so options for fitting low profile hook/loop pouches.

Ace and slivver71 like this.
  20. Caleb

Caleb Loaded Pockets

I'm the oddball, I prefer not to use the Omni frame in mine. To me, the Zippy is a very basic "sack" and is best for me....used that way. I've got packs for carrying loads, and then there's the Zippy. When I get the urge to start using mine for travel from time to time, I find that a laptop works well, giving the bag the ability to have some structure. I will say, as an avid backpacker and hunter that the Zippy does tend to get a lot of unwarranted criticism because of its lack of structure. The pack was simply not meant to have any. Other than it's pockets and multiple means of entry, it's as basic as a Jansport school backpack. There is absolutely NOTHING built into this pack that would make it optimal for any kind of weight bearing or long distance hikes and because it comes from a company that specializes in those features, it tends to get graded on a steep curve. If you want something for any kind of hiking and don't want to pay for a Kifaru that has those features, you would still be better served with an Osprey/REI type pack. If you need a sack for air travel or to carry around EDC stuff like a normal person would, backed by a great company with the best construction methods, then a Zippy is great. That's my take on the Zippy.

slivver71 likes this.