1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who has a vehicle that utilizes a keyless based Fob?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by patientcero, Mar 26, 2017.

?

Key fob vehicle at home?

1. Yes

47 vote(s)
    92.2%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

It seems the transition to vehicles using keyless start are becoming the standard at most price points. Just curious how many forum members have one or more vehicles in their household that uses a fob for keyless start.

[​IMG]

2. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

2014 Prius, just got it in January. Already had someone hack the lock. I now keep our remotes in rf cases when home.
    My next car will also have it.

3. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Acura RDX. I have to say, I kinda love it. It's not like using a key is difficult, but being able to get in the car, start it up, and drive away without digging through my pockets it's pretty nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC807 likes this.
  4. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit Loaded Pockets

Yup. It fantastic. Keys never leave my pocket anymore except to open our house door. That will change in the next 6 months when we go keyless.

TKC and LivingUpNorth like this.
  5. absinth

absinth Empty Pockets

2015 mini cooper D keyless:) its wonderfull.

6. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I'm curious, how does putting the key in a box make it more secure? So far as I know, the key is only actively transmitting when it's in close proximity to the lock. I could be wrong...

7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Well, not my current car. But I did drive an old (1988!) Lincoln for a few years that had the Ford keyless entry system -- keypad on driver's side door. Still required a key for the ignition though! Loved that car, gas guzzler or not. Kept a recording of 'Hot Rod Lincoln' in the car for use whenever I hit the road for a trip... ;-)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

8. tabbywmollya

tabbywmollya Loaded Pockets

Bought our first new SUV in 20 years 2017 Ford Escape. Keyless entry, remote start, key pad on door, remote opening rear hatch. Nice not to open doors with a key. Starting on a cold or hot day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

9. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

Basically operating a range extender.

10. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Okay, I read the article and I'm still having a problem with this because the key gets its power from an rf magnetic field and if you're talking about distances of, say, 50 feet and through walls it seems like that would have to be one helluva' rf field. I suppose it's possible but I would think it would be an iffy method.

11. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

My fob does have a key, but I don't need to put it in the steering column to make the car run, just have it in the car with me. I have an Audi A6 4.2L V8.

12. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

The key word there is actually "Electro-magnetic" field. I.e. a radio transmitter. With a repeater pair, it isn't too hard to extend the range from 3 feet to a lot. With one person and an appropriate antenna, it's a one person job.
    The key fob in this case is self powered, unlike something like an rfid tag.

13. cricketofdeth

cricketofdeth Empty Pockets

My Ford Explorer is keyless. Took me awhile to get used to it, but now I love it.

14. Tony Mandola

Tony Mandola Loaded Pockets

2015 Chrysler 200. Love that the key fob never leaves my pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

I can't find a way to carry these effectively due to their thick/rectangular shape along with the little edc stuff I carry

16. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

My mum has just recently got a new company car with a fob and she hates it. She has to get the keys out of her handbag to unlock the car and then she doesn't know where to put them. I think she usually tosses them into the centre console

17. Lellobeetle

I believe my Audi A6's driver's door will unlock automatically if I have the fob in my pocket or purse and just go up to the car and pull the handle. As long as the fob is on me and I just open the driver's door, it opens for me without me holding the fob and pressing the unlock button.

18. Lellobeetle

And, my car is NOT new - I have a very old 2007 A6, but it does operate without me pushing the unlock button as long as the fob is on me and as well it will start the engine and run without me using the actual key in the ignition - however, it is old enough that is does have that dual system capability. It still has the key that can be put into the steering column, but everything will work keylessly as well.

19. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

She'd do well to put the keys immediately either back in her handbag or in a pocket. Somewhere there's a corollary to Murphy's Law to the point that someday she'll be in a rush, forget the keys are in the console and somehow get locked out of the car. In a driving rain, at night, etc etc. Not that I wish it to happen, but Professor Murphy sooner or later 'wins'!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

20. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

Yeah, that's what i've been saying but 30+ years of habit means that she doesn't get out of the car without keys in hand