1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who has a TAD EDC pac, and is it worth it

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by HD, Jan 28, 2008.

1. HD

HD Empty Pockets

Ok this has probably been asked before but who has a TAD EDC pack and was it worth it. If you have any pics of how you have it set up please post a pic

2. MikeDub

MikeDub Loaded Pockets

I have a TAD EDC Fast pack and I love it. Plenty of room for me, and compresses down well so that it's not huge when not filled to max capacity. Mine is black, with the waist belt removed, and I also have a black TAD OP1 shingle attached to the "beaver tail" via PALS webbing & straps on the back of the shingle. Sorry, no pics at this time, but I hope that helps.

3. bubbaskyjacker

bubbaskyjacker Loaded Pockets

the pack seems kinda spendy for me. looks good. i went with the camelbak bfm at about 1/2 the price. i can fit everything in there with room to spare. it has some nice nooks and crannies to put stuff

4. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

I just sold one! The EDC model.
    I will give you my honest opinion and some my disagree with me and thats cool! :highfive:

Great pack well designed and thought out. That being said, I felt it was a little over engineered. It is possible to have too many cinch straps.

I work 24 hour shifts and this was the main purpose I bought the bag for. Of course hiking, camping, hunting etc. as well.

Now my dis likes:
    The admin pocket, the divider is sized for pen and pencils or long straight thin tihngs. Thats about it. Not very useful.

The main compartment: This is a double zip, half way opening (if that makes sense!) compartment. Too small Like I said I pack mostly clothes and a shave kit. I found it a real pain to get into.

The "tail" my opinion useless, and in the way. I guess the idea is to strap long things to the outside of the pack with the tail down. Or, to pack a jacket or some other bulky item there. The tail was always in my way and I constantly had to take up the slack so it would not drag the ground or catch on things. Or loosen it to get into the handy large "snack pocket. I rolled it up and shoved it into the ax loops.
    I would recommend 1. a dedicated slot or pocket to put the tail in for storage. 2. more PALS on the pack and do away with the tail. Reason? This would allow the user to custom configure the outside storage to his/her likes and needs.

I'm not military or a world adventurer! Just a normal edc gear user. The FAST packs are great don't get me wrong. I just got tired of fighting the "tail" and the narrow opening to get at my stuff or to put my stuff in the pack. Yes I could have left the "tail" in position but then it would be back to the above again!

Would I recommend it? For me I don't think I'd buy one again. You? man thats a tough one! Lots of guys like them, again, I respect that. They are just not for me. I'd say look around a little bit FAST packs are starting to show up for sale on various forums and the EDC is a stocking item.

5. novasar

novasar Empty Pockets

Sorry for the lack of pics, I may be able to update this post later in the week with some photos.

I purchased a black TAD Gear Fast Pack EDC to replace my search and rescue (SAR) pack, not an EDC pack. So my needs, expectations and requirements will be different from many of you. However I'll share my impressions with the pack so far. I needed a pack to haul my SAR kit on training exercises and missions. My team has a list of required gear each member must have in his/her SAR pack at times (there are certain exceptions). In addition, like many folks, I've greatly supplemented my pack with extra gear. A pack with about 1600 - 2000 cu. inches is about the right size I needed. On cold trainings and/or missions, I use my larger Conterra Crag Alpine pack to haul my SAR kit supplemented with my cold weather kit.

Let me say this is a stout pack, well built and topping the scales at 4 pounds . . . not a lightweight. TAD has paid attention to detail, no frayed edges or misaligned webbing. On a recent field exercises it has taken quite a beating from scrambling over, under, around and/or through obstacles. It has stood up well against some tough handling such as being thrown around in the back of my 4Runner or dumped off my roof rack onto the pavement or gravel. There are plenty of Molle/PALS webbing on the pack and waist belt to attach external pouches and other assorted items. I've added a few Emdom single mag Molle pouches and a couple of CountryCom pouches to the belt to carry my LED lights, Leatherman Blast tool and other odds and ends to keep readily available. I also have an Emdom BOMB pouch attached to the pack to carry one of my first aid kits (a smaller personal FAK is in my vest).

The shoulder straps are wide, yet thin. My first thought was this wouldn't be enough padding when hauling a heavy pack. To my surprise the wide thin straps distributed the weight evenly around my shoulders. During many long hours wearing the pack I haven't developed any "hot spots" due to rubbing or uneven weight distribution. Other then the "bulge" from the hydration bladder described below, the pack was a solid fit. Once properly adjusted there was no noticable shifting of the pack.

Some Pickly Little Things:

The "Tail"
    I'm also not a fan of "the Tail" as mentioned by ppfd. I believe that 95% or more of pack owners (esp. civilians) will never use this tail as it was intended. At any rate, it's a unique feature. It is possible to roll it up and tuck it under the pack out of the way using a couple of the bottom straps. But by doing so you loose several rows of Molle/PALS webbing. This is my opinion from field use, but TAD should offer a version without the tail and transfer the Molle/PALS webbing directly to the pack.

Side Compression Straps
    These side straps (2 per side) cut across the Molle/PALS webbing on each side at a 45 degree angle. The straps go from the rear of the pack, diagionally across the sideand connect to the Tail. By cutting across the side Molle/PALS webbing the straps interfere with attaching external pouches to the side. You have to thread the Malice clips and/or Molle straps in a way that some of the webbing isn't used and thereby the pouch isn't fully supported. Not really a big deal, one of my picky items. You can see what I've talking about here.

Hydration Bladder
    The hydration bladder has been moved out of the main pack compartment into a zippered pocket immediately behind your back. I believe previous generations of this pack had the bladder inside the main compartment. With a full 3.0 liter hydration bladder I noticed the pack didn't sit squarely across my back. The new location cause a small bulge to form. However, as you consume the contents of the bladder this becomes less noticable. I plan to have the pack modified with the addition of a bladder sleeve inside the main pack compartment.

Overall I'm pleased with my TAD Gear Fast Pack EDC as my new SAR pack. Sure I've pointed out some picky things, however don't let them prevent you from purchasing one of TAD's packs. TAD's customer service has been great, they always took time to answer my email inquiries before I purchased the pack. In closing it should be noted, TAD's products are Made in the USA too.

I won't hesitate to purchase from TAD in the near future. Hopefully they'll get some more large Ranger Hoodies V3.0 in ME Brown soon.

6. NSaglibene

NSaglibene Empty Pockets

I love my TAD EDC...

I like the ability to add interior organization, lots of times I have lots of little stuff and no big stuff so its good for organization of little stuff in the pack.

The admin pouch works for me, I have my pens, leather man, keys, surefire, and BDU pocket organizer and it all fits with a good spot. When i have to take my EDC stuff out of my pockets it all goes in there too.

The transporter tail works for me as a way to carry shedded layers, if a take a jacket or sweatshirt off it goes in there rolled up and saves room in my pack.

I like the compression straps I can carry sleeping bags in there for camping and stuff and, again really increase the capacity of the pack. When I went of my roadtrip the side compression and pockets securely held my BlackJack Marauder II (15inch blade).

Day to day I use it too carry all my little EDC stuff, and when I have school I carry books in there and its a good size for that. With all the features it can easily carry extra gear for short expeditions and the like.

But most importantly.... It just looks cool... Isnt that really what its all about?

7. LLCoolBeans

LLCoolBeans Empty Pockets

Let me start by saying I don't have one of these, so the impressions I've formed from seeing photos and reading posts about these bags could be completely wrong. It is possible, however unlikely, that I would change my opinion if I actually had a chance to use one. Also, my comments are mainly meant to entertain those that agree with me and are not intended to alienate, discredit or insult those that disagree. Anyway...

I'm sure they're great for carrying your trapper keeper, lunch box and favorite action figure to school.

Are they worth $200+? In my opinion no. When I was a lad, I got along just fine with my Jansport.

HD, If you are planning on spending $200+ on a pack, you may want to look into Kifaru. You'll end up with something far more useful that will last a lifetime.

Of course, it all depends on what you want the pack to do. If all you want is for it to look a certain way, maybe it is worth it.

8. cutthroat

cutthroat Loaded Pockets

I searched and searched before buying a pack and ended up with the TAD EDC. It fits my need very well. It's not for everyone obviously, but to me it's well worth it. The tail is pretty useful in the "up" position, I stuff my jacket there every day. I can also use the tail to hold my Nalgene securely. I really don't have a single complaint about the bag. Research as many bags as you can before you buy. There is a certain cool factor with owning a piece of TAD gear, but just make sure that you have realistic expectations and make the decision based on YOUR needs. :)

9. NSaglibene

NSaglibene Empty Pockets

I don't see a TAD pack not lasting forever... or at least my lifetime. It's definately overbuilt, I looked at some Kifaru's was going to get the Marauder but the TAD pack too me was more bang for the buck, marauder was kind off too bare bones, it may be built stronger, but for what I'm doing I don't see my TAD pack ever "breaking down" on me.

10. Arethusa

Arethusa Empty Pockets

I went with the FAST Pack EDC over the X-Ray. As cool as the Kifaru pack is, it looked distinctly more specialized towards being an outdoors pack, and while that can be useful, it's certainly not useful if your primary use is for carrying books, laptop, etc. I've been quite happy with it so far, and the ergonomics are not just hype. It definitely distributes weight considerably better than my last pack, a Maxpedition Falcon.