1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who has a Bible as part of their EDC?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Smousefam5, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Ghillieman7

Ghillieman7 Empty Pockets

Keep one in the car and the truck, but I dont carry one in my pack.

2. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

I don't EDC one as I'm not religious but I have a small red new testament on my book shelf I was given by a church man who came to our school to do a talk and gave them out. It's smaller than a moleskine so would be perfect for EDC. I've always appreciated it as being the perfect size for EDC. My copy of the Qu'ran would be somewhat impractical for EDC, being hard back and slightly taller than a maxped fatty organiser.

3. Anonymous Romanian

Anonymous Romanian Loaded Pockets

I also have Tao Te Ching on my mp3 player as audio book and on my phone as PDF. I am an atheist but I do extract common sense and wisdom from old teachings.

4. pumbaa

pumbaa Banned

Since I have my Droid-X, I have a Bible program on it. I have 10 different translations.

5. **cutup**

**cutup** Loaded Pockets

I carry a calfskin slim line Bible every day. I am reading Out Of Captivity right now--5+ years of captivity in Columbia--guess what they craved to read most during that time? I suppose it is possible, but I have never heard of a POW carving Tao Te Ching into wood or stone during a captivity. Call it Spiritual, or Psychological--fact remains that the Bible has power to help men when they are in deep weeds. Probably a good thing to put one into the EDC pile.

6. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

Tao Te Ching is one of the deepest and most powerful books of poetry I have ever encountered. If I were marooned, I would want Tao Te Ching.

If I could get the Bible with a suitable commentary, I might be interested.

7. PaEolh

PaEolh Empty Pockets

I have a very small brown bible someone has giving to me that I keep with me a lot. Also have one or two bibles on my Iphone. Sometimes I carry a prayer book with me also plus have apps on my phone. What determines if the books are carried with me is if I have a bag/jacket/vest to hold them.

Question does anyone know of somewhere selling the bible on microfilm? I heard about being done.

8. mraif

mraif Loaded Pockets

I have the Olive Bible app on my iPad and Samsung Captivate. I also have .mp3 versions on my devices. Listening to dramatic versions like "The Bible Experience" seems to add a dynamic perspective to The Bible.

9. Anonymous Romanian

Anonymous Romanian Loaded Pockets

Tao Te Ching are simply statements on how you should integrate with your surroundings and your situations. If you read it, you do not feel desperate for being in a certain situation, you just are in a situation and you adapt to it. The Bible and Christianity are for those who need something palpable, a deity to pray to and get them out of the crapper. Tao Te Ching tells you that you can get yourself out of the crapper with a clear mind. You don't need symbols or quotes to be one with the universe, why carve into wood some words when words are futile since action or inaction are what drives you to a certain place?

10. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I have a small Gideon's in my bag and an app on both my iPad and iPhone.

11. ky70

ky70 Loaded Pockets

I have a small NIV version but mainly use the couple of Bible Iphone Apps that I have.

12. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

No, but I do EDC the US Constitution.

13. PaEolh

PaEolh Empty Pockets

You know we could start another thread on just who EDC's that.;D Now I think a lot people have it on free phone apps or got free copies of it. Though I do not think as many people give out those copies of the Constitution as they once did because everyone can read it on the internet or find it in almost every social studies textbook now.

14. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

Don't need to carve anything anywhere, except maybe on your mind.

15. browneyes

browneyes Loaded Pockets

I've got the bible on my kindle which is almost always with me :)

16. billwilson

billwilson Loaded Pockets

Interesting count here
    I would not have guessed...

My iphone has a Bible that gets use
    I also have iphone and hard copy of the AA Big Book (11 Oct 94)

17. LoneArcher

LoneArcher Loaded Pockets

Thank you for posting this description. I've heard of the Tao Te Ching but never knew anything about it. From your description, it sounds like the kind of book that I would really like to read.

18. **cutup**

**cutup** Loaded Pockets

Hell is one crapper a clear mind just won't get you out of. Addiction is another. I suspect grief, unforgiveness, fear to be others as well. The Bible has helped millions with all those crappers. It's a great EDC to have on hand.

19. grrradical

grrradical Loaded Pockets

I carry a compact ESV (Crossway) Bible in my bookbag at all times, partly for personal reasons as well as academic (I'm a theology student). I wish I could carry one in my pocket but I haven't given into smartphones just yet...

20. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

The Bible is so much more than that, but unbelievers are not going to understand or see this truth. On the other hand, since we are into such narrow definitions, I'd define the Tao Te Ching, like so many other philosophies, as what I'd call "faith in faith". So I'd partially agree with the above, in that I as an individual do need something more in my life than a faith in faith, which to me is simply faith in nothing. Personally, I have faith in something (Someone) much bigger than myself. As Proverbs says, "There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death." (Pro 14:12 NKJV)

Oh, and to answer the question, "No", I do not carry a Bible in my pocket daily, but I do have one in my work shoulder bag, and one in my car. In addition I am in the habit of reading my Bible through once each year...actually the Old Testament once a year, and the New Testament and Psalms twice each year. When a person reads a Bible from cover to cover each year in an organized way, they will find there is so much more depth and inter-connectedness to the Scriptures than they ever imagined. Again, it is so much more than the definition provided in the quote above.