1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who else carries a larger than necessary knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by jday, Feb 18, 2013.

1. jday

jday Empty Pockets

So... My EDC knife is a KaBar Mule, 4 inch blade and heavy. I definitely know that it is in my pocket, but thats how I roll.
    So who else carries a large knife?

John

2. gear_queer

gear_queer Loaded Pockets

i edc a spyderco military. i forget the blade size but its pretty huge for a folder.

3. Danger: Wildman

Danger: Wildman Loaded Pockets

I take this hiking and keep it on my hip.
    [​IMG]

4. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

I just keep going smaller & lighter instead myself.

I'd probably carry my Nieto Bowie knife regularly if it was legal here though, but I'm not sure if you guys consider 12" large in the US these days [​IMG]

sungame likes this.
  5. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Well, this is really dependent on what you think is too big. I've carried a Military plenty of times, and some consider that knife way too big for EDC. Others would consider a Delica too big. Size is less of an issue than weight. If it weighs too much and is flopping around and uncomfortable then I probably won't carry it.

Kones and IMWILSON like this.
  6. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

I carry a bunch of knives all the time, because I can. But I really love the original C54 Calypso in Micarta. 4" blade and 89 grams, long and light.

7. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I pretty much only carry small knives unless I expect to have some heavier cutting chores lined up. I mean really small, like under 2" blades most of the time. About the biggest thing I may routinely carry is a Case medium jack or Barlow with about a 2 5/8" main blade.

My day-to-day activities don't really need anything larger than that. If I'm doing fix-up chores around the house and yard on weekends I'll carry something bigger, usually my Spyderco Delica, which for me is a "large" knife. I think my biggest I own is a Kershaw Blur that I leave in the car just in case I end up needing a bigger cutting tool when out and about. Last time I got some good use out of it was cutting down a foam insulation sheet at the hardware store so it would fit in my trunk.

sungame likes this.
  8. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying a ZT 0560. When I'm in the woods/camping I carry a SOG Tigershark (BIG bowie)

Of course, I also keep a Alox SAK in my watch pocket, so I have something for finer tasks when needed.

Vesp and JustinJ like this.
  9. MattM87

MattM87 Loaded Pockets

I carry my cold steel xl voyager occasionally.. 5.5in blade.

10. jday

jday Empty Pockets

The BK2 is definitely on my want list.

11. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Is a 9 cm blade large? I have that in my pants’ pocket. In my bag there’s (among others) a 11,5 cm fixed blade and a 10 folding blade. I consider them medium-large.

12. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

Size is relative....... except to the police. 4" is legal limit here. However, I usually carry at least 3 knives. No limit on the number of knives I can carry, afaik.

bendbig likes this.
  13. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

I currently own nothing larger in a folder than a small Sebenza. Over the years I have realized that you don't need a lot of blade for like 99% of tasks.

14. jday

jday Empty Pockets

I suppose the title is missleading. Everbodys idea of what is large or necessary will differ. I guess i should of asked who carries a big' ole knife just because they can.
    When i pull my knife out i want people to urinate themselves.:D

John

15. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

Um...yeah, to much attention for me. I prefer to be under the radar. That doesn't mean I always carry a small blade. I just prefer discretion.

Syclone1436 likes this.
  16. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

The BK2 is a nice knife. The stock handles tend to get slick when wet, so you'll likely want to upgrade or modify those.

I carry a big knife, a ZT 0350, and I've gotten looks in an urban setting. I'm looking to clip a much smaller knife to my pants pocket and shift the ZT to a jacket pocket for special purposes.

17. shokthx

shokthx Loaded Pockets

Is there really such a thing as a knife bigger than necessary.
    That said, there is indiscretion. I stopped carrying an Endura back when the movie "One Hour Photo" came out. A friend pointed out it was the same knife used in the movie and I worked in a 1 hour photo.

sungame likes this.
  18. MOD-u-LAR

MOD-u-LAR Loaded Pockets

I carry a HEST Original,which is slightly larger than I need, in a KSF pocket sheath. The knife vanishes in pair of jeans. I live in the city right now and stopped belt carrying. It's legal here, I just don't want to be the weirdo with a knife on his hip. It would draw too much attention from all the wrong people, I don't want to spend time with cops or robbers while their working. But if the lanyards weren't hanging out of my pockets it would be a very subtle carry.
    What sold me was the thickness of the blade. I open a lot of boxes. So I don't need razor sharp, but I do need it to keep something of an edge for a long time. I know most people want to slice paper with their blades, but when the blade is (and I just measured this...sorry it's so exacting) as thick as sixty cents (2 quarters & a dime) I'm not looking to use that knife to cut thin slices of veggies for diner. I'm looking to have a "working" edge...I don't know what to call it. Sharp enough to cut you, simple V-edge.
    Wow went way off topic there. Sorry, decompressing after work. ME LIKE BIG KNIFE. Thank you.

19. Syclone

Syclone Loaded Pockets

I EDC an Endura and 710. Those are large enough and legal to carry here. Out fishing I have a Seki Little Blue Hunter fixed blade. I carry a BK2 for camping.

[​IMG]

Last edited by Syclone1436, Feb 18, 2013
  20. FelixTheCat

FelixTheCat Loaded Pockets

I carry my Benchmade Barrage clipped to my right front pocket. I also have a LM Juice S2 in my back pocket. I use the blade on the Juice 95% of the time. Been wresling with the notion to buy a SOG Elite II or the Cold Steel Voyager Vaquero. I hate it when I can't make up my mind. Usually means i buy both. You know the saying " two is one and one is none" or is it "three is two, two is one and one is none...or four is three, three is two.........

Syclone1436 likes this.