1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who EDCs portable USB power?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by CasperEDC, Jan 24, 2013.

1. littlequick
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

littlequick EDC junkie

I'll thinking of adding one of these.

2. aaronu

aaronu Loaded Pockets

I carry one of the Duracell Instant Charger and the Griffin travel USB cable set in a Tom Bihn mini pouch. The Griffin cables are mini-USB, micro-USB and 30-pin Apple. I charge the Duracell with the mini-USB, Kindle or Kindle Fire with the micro, and of course an iPhone with the 30-pin cable.

Other stuff I tried:

Duracell Powerhouse. It had more capacity, but the swing-out min-USB arm bugged me. I don't have any mini-USB things to charge, except for the Duracell unit itself. Also it seemed that, when I needed it, it was dead half the time. Most likely the pushbutton power switch was getting pushed on in my computer bag or luggage. The Duracell Instant has a small slide switch.

Generic brand battery with a 30-pin connector. More convenient for iPhone users, but it didn't hold up. Then again it was $5 from Amazon.

iGo dual USB adapter with integrated 2000 mAh battery. This was a great idea. It plugs directly into the wall and can be used for normal charging duties... then has enough juice to fully charge an iPhone or Kindle, and add a good measure of time to my Kindle Fire. But it had the push button issue like the Duracell Powerhouse, and didn't seem to charge things much more than the much lower capacity Duracell Instant.

I'm still looking for a good quality, higher capacity charger since I travel for work every week... but the Duracell always just seems to work, and it's gotten me out of trouble a few times. It's tiny and it's twenty bucks. Whatever else I use, I'll still have the Duracell in its little pouch as an emergency backup charge.

powerring likes this.
  3. electromage

electromage Loaded Pockets

I carry a Targus 4800mAh pack. It charges from USB, and has two LiPoly cells inside. The first one I bought had the micro USB charging port break off inside, but the replacement has been fine so far. It powers my Optimus G phone and Nexus 7 tablet just fine. It doesn't feel like it's very durable, but I keep it in my semi-padded laptop bag.

4. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

5. Riggs

Riggs Loaded Pockets

I often have my Mophie juice pack Pro in my bag, and charge it up when we go for out for coffee or something. So i basically charge my IPhone for free (I'm tight with my electric bill, which is good in a way, means i can spend more money on cooler things lol)

mooshisho likes this.
  6. twoisone
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

I use this 11000 mAh Telemax power pack and it has been good so far.

[​IMG]

callsan likes this.
  7. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

I feel ya! I've been through many chargers in the past. I've finally settled on the Goal Zero Guide 10+. It doesn't have the most capacity as say, a Trent for the same price, but I like that it runs off of AA/AAA cells and I've the solar panel for it too.

8. littlequick
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

littlequick EDC junkie

9. callsan

callsan Loaded Pockets

I use the same one... Love it...
    Sent from my nexus lte-rooted using taptalk2

10. Ruff_Dog

Ruff_Dog Loaded Pockets

I do for my phone!

11. Amafan

Amafan Loaded Pockets

I have a Zagg Sparq 2.0 in my car. My main power backup is the Goal Zero Adventure kit. The recharger is also my backup light and is in the quick access pocket of my Powerbag which also has its own Power source.

mooshi likes this.
  12. Changchung

Changchung Loaded Pockets

I always carry a small single 18650 charger that had a USB output, I just have to use a 18650 from any of my flashlights what I carry...

Sent from my phone with camera with flash and internet on it... :D

13. OreoGaborio

OreoGaborio Loaded Pockets

14. Elbæk

Elbæk Loaded Pockets

I carry a Powertraveller Powermonkey Discovery, with a selection og cables and connectors in my EDC kit; https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome/primatepower/powermonkeydiscovery/ - I have used it quite a lot and I am quite happy with it, it charges my iPhone 5 twice on a full charge.

For longer treks into the Nature, I have recently bought a Garmin External Power Pack (Powermonkey-eXplorer); https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=86599 The juice pack charges my iPhone 5 around 1½ times pr. charge. I have yet to test the solar sells.

15. littlequick
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

littlequick EDC junkie

Dangerous questions,
    do eneloops work with goal zero?..

16. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Yep. :)

17. littlequick
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

littlequick EDC junkie

WHAT!? REALLY!? And it won't screw anything up?!

This..
    THIS...

[​IMG]

SAKplumber, mooshi and Mighty Max like this.
  18. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

:) You'll be fine. I switch out between the Goal Zero, Energizers and Sanyos in my G10+, so long as they are NiMH's. :)

littlequick likes this.
  19. nargalzius

nargalzius Loaded Pockets

I've been through various power packs

[​IMG]

What I've been using the past few years is the NewTrent IMP70D (rightmost) which I intend to upgrade soon, as its half an inch wide over the Skinth Catch all I had just purchased.

Since I have a MiFi for internet, it does take a considerable load off the phone's battery, so my phone actually lasts a day without having to recharge (even when using the internet)

The power pack is really for the MiFi which can drain in less than 4 hours under heavy use.

The dual USB out is pretty much a non-negotiable for me as it would be great to be able to plug in both MiFi AND phone in the extremely rare occasions that calls for it. It can even charge an iPad should I ever need it (which I haven't yet)

Overall, I think if you're online all the time (MiFi or solely through the phone) it's most likely that your battery won't make it a full day. But if you're just a regular user that goes online once in a while while up and about, then you won't really need a power bank.

mooshi likes this.
  20. Minotaur

Minotaur Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the Goal Zero Guide 10+ idea, has anyone tried just putting normal batteries in it?

The reason I ask is that would be the decider for me in buying this. Oh I have run out of charge but if you can walk into a shop and get two chargers from normal batteries. It got to be worth adding to my EDC kit.