1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who EDCs portable USB power?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by CasperEDC, Jan 24, 2013.

1. YankeeHotelFoxtrot

YankeeHotelFoxtrot Loaded Pockets

Snokiwi, Wow, INS! I worked with Omega Navigation Systems (ONS) - VLF Radio-based nav. I'm trying to remember the major INS brands. I recall Litton, but no others.

RogerStenning likes this.
  2. snowkiwi
    • In Omnia Paratus

snowkiwi EDC Junkiwi

I remember a good 3 - 6 months solid training was just learning those radio Nav systems. I knew them all inside out. Now Sadly they are a fuzzy memory ;)
    However I still see a few VOR sites at some airports here so I assume some aircraft still use them.

Small world aye. We had 2 Nav systems in our work bay. Omega and Inertial. My system was the Litton LTN-72. I spent a small amount of time with ONS but can't remember anything now. I just remember spending days doing gimbal overhauls on the gyros, with a microscope, scalpels and calibrated filtered drops of oil in a clean-air cabinet

edit:
    Oops just realised I'm spamming the portable power thread with old Navigation talk.
    Send me a PM guys, if you want to talk Nav systems. Maybe you can re-school me on some of my man-flu induced brain fog :p

Sent from my iThing

3. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Honeywell springs immediately to mind, and I seem to recall that GEC/Marconi might have put a couple or three out there as well. Wasn't really anything to do with my job at the time, only what I later read in certain 'trade magazines' in the 90s, when I drew the HM £sd ;) Back on topic, I have no idea what power they required, but a USB PB would most likely have NOT done the job :giggle:

4. Shur
    • In Omnia Paratus

Shur Loaded Pockets

Could they realistically give any usefull numbers given that they are not selling the unit with cells?

5. khawk3

khawk3 Loaded Pockets

I know someone already mentioned the Waka Waka for lights, but I wanted to post this for the Waka Waka Base 10. I've just received it in the mail last week and have been using it to charge my smartphone, tablet and eReader since. So far, so good. Only 1 solar charge for all of that and still got a bit of juice.

It comes in a few colors, I got the green one with the extra rubber around the base to keep the plugs closed and as cleaned as possible.
    In the package (which I've already put in the recycle bin, so no pictures Oups!), there was the base, 2 flashlights, the solar panels, 2 mini usb cables (already misplaced one around the house so it's not in the picture), the bag and instructions in a pamphlet.

Base has a charging port for the solar panels, but also another one with a mini-usb to charge on-grid if you wanted, 3 usb ports. One is optimized for the flashlights, one is optimized for Apple products and the other is standard. I specifically like how you can see how fast it charges on the base when using the solar panels (makes it easier to gauge how to place the panels according to the sun to get max charging), or how full it is. The bag is waterproof and it works in the same was as a dry bag.

Here are some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kinda feels good to use clean energy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

Have been using a Just Mobile Gum Plus for a long time. Recently upgraded an Anker Astro Mini to my day and work bags.

7. Blown04GT

Blown04GT Loaded Pockets

I hate running out of juice on my phone and not having a charger so I carry 3 different USB packs in my EDC bag. It's a little overkill, but hey, you never know. One PNY and two Mophies.

8. Blown04GT

Blown04GT Loaded Pockets

Thanks for this! I was looking at these a while ago and didn't pull the trigger on one. I think you have forced me into it! I also found a 10% code to use: YOUTUBE so it's even better! I like the green too!

9. Rabidfox

Rabidfox Loaded Pockets

The new Anker Powercore line is pretty epic...I've got one of the larger 16k mah that does 4.8A and will actually charge my Venue 11 at a decent clip

CalicoSalsa likes this.
  10. DennisM

DennisM Loaded Pockets

True *every day* carry: A 6600 mah lithium polymer battery for my iPhone. Sufficient to triple its useful life.

Thrown in a carry bag when I know that extended smartphone time will be needed but availability of AC power is not certain:
    A 120 wh lithium ion battery with built-in DC/DC converters. It is what I normally use on my trike when I ride, to power my lights. But it also has a 5v USB output connector and (if my rough math is correct), could extend the life of my phone by a factor of eight.

CalicoSalsa and RogerStenning like this.
  11. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

Just picked up a 15000mah powerbank by Kmashi. 5v, 2 outs. $19 over on the 'zon. It's pretty beastly!

12. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

Just acquired this monster:
    [​IMG]

It is an Anker E7 Astro battery pack, for when you are on the road with power hungry devices. Capacity is 26800mAh, enough for 10 iPhone 6 charges (weirdly it is slightly lower in some countries). At nearly half a kilo / one pound this is not true EDC but a "deliberate pack" item when I expect to need it. Included (not pictured) is a nice mesh bag with a drawstring and a short micro-USB cable for charging. One minor thing that might annoy some: the unit won't charge anything whilst recharging itself (same with my other Astro Minis as well).

weylan, CalicoSalsa, JPE and 5 others like this.
  13. snowkiwi
    • In Omnia Paratus

snowkiwi EDC Junkiwi

Has anyone ever tried any other form of power instead of LiIon or NiMH. ?
    For example maybe a fuel cell, or super capacitor based portable power?
    I have a capacitor powered driver drill, takes 60 seconds to fully charge but only lasts about 4 screws. But can potentially be used nonstop infinitum

I'd guess a portable power pack though may be performance or cost prohibitive, but just wondering on anyone's experience.

Sent from my i-thing

CalicoSalsa, S_Serpent and Bowman1911 like this.
  14. Bloodstriker

Bloodstriker Loaded Pockets

I just got the same unit last week and loving it. Perfect for keeping the families gadgets running during a long flight.

15. Hussar305

Hussar305 Loaded Pockets

Picked one up a few months ago, definitely a beast but more than plenty of power for cell phones should you be without power for more than a day

16. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Sarge, how is this working out for you? Am thinking about getting one. It looks compact enough to mount outside one's pack to charge on the move. Thanks!

17. sarge1967

sarge1967 Loaded Pockets

It does a good job recharging my Nitecore MH20. I have not tried the solar option though. Just charged the Poweradd with the wall charger.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

18. Zer0

Zer0 Loaded Pockets

I have a little 3000mAh motorola powerbank that I leave in my backpack. It has a built in micro-usb plug, and also has a usb port for other charging cables.

[​IMG]

S_Serpent likes this.
  19. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

14W SunJack
    Max output voltage/current: Two 5V/2A USB ports
    Battery: 8,000mAh lithium-polymer battery
    Size folded: 6.75 x 9.25 x 1.75 in (17 x 23.5 x 4.5 cm)
    Size unfolded: 30.75 x 9.25 x 1.75 in (78. x 23.5 x 4.5 cm)
    Weight: 2 lbs (908 g)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

S_Serpent and JPE like this.
  20. Ryan9977

Ryan9977 Loaded Pockets

I have a small Ravpower one I carry most days....works great, I got it on amazon...just looked up one with good reviews...ryn