1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who EDCs portable USB power?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by CasperEDC, Jan 24, 2013.

1. CasperEDC

CasperEDC Loaded Pockets

Just wondering what you all have been using. I've been carrying a portable 18650 battery pack in my EDC bag for a few years now and have just finally upgraded to a dual USB one.

[​IMG]

It works on 1-4 18650 cells and charges with the same cable as my phone. With the current batteries it can charge my Galaxy Note 2 about 2 1/2 times before running dry, or I can pull a cell out and throw it in my flashlight, if needed.

Gave the old one to my wife and she's already used it on her trip to charge her phone and Nexus 7.

So who else has something, and what do you have?

2. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

:) I use the Goal Zero Guide 10+. :D I also bring a backup set of AA batteries for it as well. :)

I chose that one in particular because:
    1. It runs off of AA or AAA (with the insert) batteries
    2. It charges via USB or solar power (Nomad 7, here)
    3. I can use the AA batts in my flashlights.
    4. If needed, I can switch out the cells once they're shot, whereas a lithium pack would have to be replaced completely.

3. CasperEDC

CasperEDC Loaded Pockets

The Goal Zero kit is a great choice if you're looking to go with a AA/AAA system. I have an AA/AAA system in my trunk bag.

You reminded me:
    1. I do have a Solar panel for my system and it can be charged from a GZ solar panel :D.
    2. It uses 18650s (the most popular lithium cell) so it is infinitely upgradeable (currently running off of 2200mAh 3.7v Sanyo, my flashlights have 3100mAh 3.7v Sanyo [Orbtronic]) so it can work as a portable charger for my system.

I remember when you couldn't find anything for charging on the go, AA/AAA or otherwise. my first USB batterypack was an AA bike light I converted. I wonder if the instructible I made is still up...

skycrimes likes this.
  4. mops

mops Loaded Pockets

I use an Anker Astro3. It works well, has a pretty big battery (10,000 mAh) and wasn't too expensive.

Edit: I should have say I don't edc it, though. It just goes on trips.

5. Perigee

Perigee Loaded Pockets

New Trent iCarrier 12000mah or IMP71T 7000mah, depending whether I'm carrying a pad or not. Incredibly convenient things; that 7000 is a beast. Just for chuckles, I ran a week off it on a total 10-hour commute using music and games continuously on an ipod touch. Still could have done another 50%, according to the readout.

mooshisho likes this.
  6. BravoOscarFoxtrotHotel

BravoOscarFoxtrotHotel Loaded Pockets

I carry a 12000 mAh EasyAcc Power pack. Really holds up quite nicely...about 2 and a half load cycles (zero to Full) on my HTC One X+.

I practically EDC it at the moment. Ingress drains your battery quicker than anything :frantic:

--
    Sent from a Marconi wireless using Morse Code.

mooshisho likes this.
  7. Bong808

Bong808 Loaded Pockets

I have an iSound 16,000 mAh pack. It has 5 USB outs and a built-in LED light. It has a 3 amp output so it charges fairly quickly and can also handle an iPad.

xtrajack, Kripto and mooshisho like this.
  8. blt2drg

blt2drg Loaded Pockets

Another happy Goal Zero user here.

mooshisho likes this.
  9. billybogota
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybogota Loaded Pockets

I have the same GoalZero as Moo, and a Trent iCarrier--GoalZero is more my hiking/camping rig, and the Trent stays in my EDC bag---good results from both.

SAKplumber, Perigee and mooshisho like this.
  10. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

I thought about getting the one of the Trent ones, but I figured the G10+ would work double duty just fine so long as I bring an extra set of AA batts. I haven't had to use the backup AA's yet though. :)

Perigee and billybogota like this.
  11. Perigee

Perigee Loaded Pockets

The trick with the Trent iCarrier is that it has the requisite juice to pump an iPad full, and has a 2A port so you're injecting power at full speed instead of trickle charging. It's overkill, but I have the occasional need to hop up two starving iPads on the hoof - otherwise, you're green, clean and correct, mooshisho.

mooshisho likes this.
  12. geoffchan

geoffchan Loaded Pockets

I have an eneloop Mobile Booster

mooshisho likes this.
  13. Warfusion
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

I got one with my phone when I bought it. Most of the time in a bind i would go to radioshack and get cheap parts to make one when I was on break but got tired and bought one from T-mobile. I plan on getting the iGeek since it charges two devices at one time!

DeepBlue and mooshi like this.
  14. littlequick
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

littlequick EDC junkie

I have nothing impressive, just a AA x2 Energizer charger. It's okay. But If I lose the wire I lose the whole purpose of the charger unless I fashion my own :/ hoping to upgrade.

Warfusion and mooshisho like this.
  15. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

About the Nomad 10+, has anyone tried to charge a device using it and non-rechargeable AAs?

16. Dusty

Dusty Loaded Pockets

I got one of these from Mrs Dusty at Christmas, infinitely useful when the kids are on their android tablets as it can power them both at once in the back seat of the car. Saves many many tears.

I bring it with me in my work bag, if i forget to charge the iPhone it's great as it is very pocketable and i can carry both with me in my jacket while i'm working.

17. BigGeorge

BigGeorge Loaded Pockets

Has anyone tried the 9000mAh External Power Pack from Monoprice? (http://goo.gl/oBjwA)

I have been looking at it for a while. The price seems to fluctuate (was 29.99 a month ago) and the only major downside that I can seem to find is that it uses a non-standard USB charging cable.

18. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I EDC a small backup for my iPhone. Doesn't do USB, just the apple tip. I've never had to use it, but I'd hate to drive my van into a snow covered ditch and get trapped without juice in my phone.

Sent by Owl Post

19. Gambit88
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gambit88 Loaded Pockets

I should probably carry something like this in my bag, considering how quickly my phone looses its juice

SWATPIT and mooshi like this.
  20. DonBrouhaha

DonBrouhaha Empty Pockets

... and this is why I'm having fun here at EDC Forums. I was looking into portable power w/ solar backup. My immediate uses would be a headlamp and an Ipod. I just ordered a Goal Zero Guide 10+ w/ their Nomad 13 solar panel. That should do away w/ the constant battery use and give flexibility in the future.

The Nomad 13 should be able to put some sort of charge into an old Xantrex XPower Powerpack 300 Plus which has a small light, air compressor and an outlet for dirty 110 AC. All handy but most of the above won't be EDC.