1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who EDCs OTC meds? What do you carry?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Geordon, Mar 23, 2013.

1. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

I left mine in the car and it ended up geling in to one giant pill.

2. Chris C

Chris C Loaded Pockets

You made a multi-pill??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. FeeSimpleAbsolute

FeeSimpleAbsolute Loaded Pockets

Anacin, Loratadine, and Pseudoephedrine. Useful for headaches and allergies. All goes in my Altoids FAK that stays in whatever bag I carry.

4. DennisM

DennisM Loaded Pockets

- aspirin, 4 x 325mg
    - caffeine, 6 x 200mg
    - diphenhydramine, 6 x 50mg
    - ibuprofen, 24 x 200mg
    - Rx: metformin, 6 x 500mg
    Each in a small, flimsy, zip top bag from Walgreens (made for meds); all five bags in a repurposed capped plastic tube originally containing glucose tabs. Tube approximately 28mm diameter x 10cm long.

5. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Aleve, 'Cause they last longer.

6. Bedlam

Bedlam Loaded Pockets

A good one I've found is melt-in-the-mouth Nurofen (ibuprofen), as the last two times I've needed a painkiller I've already emptied my water bottle. Because you can't get it here I've resorted to getting my mum to send packets from the UK haha, but it's been a lifesaver for when I'm caught unawares.

Just saw an ad for some Claratyne that you don't need water to take, might pick up some to stuff in my Altoids FAK just in case too.

All up though, I carry:

2 x paracetamol
    2 x paracetamol with codeine
    2 x ibuprofen
    2 x melting ibuprofen
    1 x antihistamine.. which I think I might have run out of, oops
    3 x imodium
    1 of each of my girlfriend's meds

Quinby and RogerStenning like this.
  7. Wolfman Zack
    • In Omnia Paratus

Wolfman Zack Loaded Pockets

If I am carrying a bag, I always have one of those $0.99 orange waterproof match cases with general purpose OTC meds.
    Allergy meds, some aspirin, a few decongestants, and sometimes others depending on the season.

The match case is very compact while allowing sufficient capacity.
    If I'm not carrying a bag, it will sometimes get trasfered to a jacket pocket.

8. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

4-6 of each
    Paracetamol
    Aspirin
    Kodimagnyl (aspirin and codeine)
    Ibuprofen
    Neurofen Plus (ibuprofen and codeine)
    simethicone/wind-eze (chew, against stomach air)
    Loperamide (against diarrhea)
    Imodium plus (same as the two above but combined)
    Cetirizine - antihistamine

9. sween1911

sween1911 Loaded Pockets

I have a pill container with Extra Strength Tylenol, Advil, generic Allegra equivalent (for allergies), and a couple Benadryl.

10. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Nice to see someone else using these, even if you have to get them in care packages from home ;)

Bedlam likes this.
  11. Quinby

Quinby Loaded Pockets

I could have used these a few weeks ago...

RogerStenning likes this.
  12. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Some of the quick dissolve tabs could be an overdose problem for children who don't realize they're medicines. Some were recalled in the past for promoting bacterial growth.

Similarly some sanitizers use pretty nasty chemicals and not just alcohol.

Read labels. Know what you're using.

EDITED TO CORRECTED ERRORS.

Give 'em a light and they'll follow it anywhere.

13. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

What kind of "nasty chemicals" are you referring to?

14. Bedlam

Bedlam Loaded Pockets

I'll take 'nasty chemicals' that may or may not have an affect on me, once every 2 months when I happen to not have water, over crippling head pain 10 times out of 10 mate. If you choose differently, that's cool too eh.

RogerStenning likes this.
  15. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Had to re-do some research. Retired old computer and using phone now.

Wipes, liquids, gels used for hand sanitizers may contain BZK. That irritates skin and eyes. Also carcinogenic. Alcohol based products works as well. Why use BZK?

I was mistaken about the melting strips. Some products had been recalled for among other reasons promoting bacterial growth. Others weren't recommended for use around children (overdose hazard).

I seem to recall some debate about chemicals used in the strips or flavoring in them but I lost those bookmarks when I retired an old computer. Can't find anything really substantial on that now so it might have been just either one or a small number of warnings/recalls that shouldn't be a problem now.

I knew there was some issue at some time but sorry for the confusion.

I don't use 'em myself but then I can swallow most pills without water and rarely find myself more than an hour away from water (if that but then again I've been an EDC'er for decades).

Give 'em a light and they'll follow it anywhere.

Bedlam likes this.
  16. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Might interest you to see the specific medicine information leaflet for Neurofen Meltlets: www DOT medicines DOT org DOT uk/emc/medicine/23380 FWIW, all meds in the UK come with an information leaflet, and patients are recommended to read the darn things before taking the meds for the first time. Not many do, of course, but there y'go, ignorance is bliss and all that ;)

The active ingredients are as follows:

Hope this allays your concerns ;)

(NOTE: URL above would not take, so replaced the dots with DOT ;) )

PS - Meltlets are not melting strips, they're tablets ;)

Bedlam likes this.
  17. On Edge

On Edge EDC Junkie!!!

Ibuprofen (350 + 800)
    Acetaminophen
    Immodium
    Tums
    * these are in a small bottle in my Jeep console, not on my person. First aid kit is in E-kit in back.

18. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Diphenhydramine is recommended in the treatment of allergic reactions and anaphylaxis. The primary stabilizing agent in anaphylaxis is epinephrine 1:1000 typically about 0.3mg in adults. As this requires a prescription the average prepper cannot get it. That being said, move on to diphenhydramine as there's not really a reason not to give it ( unless allergic to it lol). The effects will take a bit more time, and simultaneous administration of something like ranitidine is helpful as well thus targeting both H1 and H2 receptors. These are both great for your FAK and for a variety of reasons. Corticosteroids are a tertiary agent to administer although the effects are probably about six plus hours out. Of course, oxygen and a myriad of other things are helpful, but in the US the average guy can procure only diphenhydramine (Benadryl) and ranitidine (Zantac) or cimetidine (Tagamet). The latter of which has a lot of CYP450 interactions. Liquid Benadryl is actually better for the layman as it'll better pass a swollen or constricted throat and absorb faster. To each there own.

I keep acetaminophen, ibuprofen, diphenhydramine, cetirizine, ranitidine, and loperamide in my kit. Other OTC options to consider are meclizine. If you take PPIs throw a few of those in there.

marcclarke and DESTRO like this.
  19. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

I keep Alleve liquigels, Immodium max strength, Rolaids, Nodoze, my prescription migraine meds, and contact solution in my vehicle. After 1st shift leaves, and some parking spaces clear out, I move my truck MUCH closer to my office! I keep all my otc meds in a 4oz Nalgene in my Fastpack. When I go on vacation, I pack all my daily meds the same way, with 2-3 extra days worth. That Nalgene is identical, except I've switched out the cap for one off a Nalgene canteen. It has the looptop, and I can distinguish between the two by feel. My migraine meds are in a pill vial, that fits inside the Nalgene alongside the other pills. I keep 7-8 pills in it. Roughly 36 hours worth. Not that I'd ever take that much, but on an extended gallivant, I'd rather have too much, than too little.

20. OldRakkasans187

OldRakkasans187 Loaded Pockets

After a tooth ache that required a root canal.... Anbesol and ora-gel is now DEFINITELY added to mine! Amazing how a tooth ache can seriously debilitate you!