1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Who EDCs a karambit? Pics if you got them

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ParacordMan1220, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

That's exactly my point. The officer can arrest by his interpretation of the law, but if it's legal and you can prove it or the AG/PA doesn't press the charges, then it don't mean squat.

"They are simply aggresive looking knives and I doubt one can find just cause for carrying one, unless one is a fisherman with an armload of nets for example. They don't seem a practical choice for a person to carry in an urban environment unless its a confrontational one - SD or as an aggressor."

The looks of any knife is simply a matter of opinion. The majority of people unfamiliar with SD knives or knives in general feel anything more than a butter knife is agressive. If it's legal is all that matters.

Mine or any others reasons for carrying it is likely SD since that's what the blade was designed for, and that's reason enough, or simply because it's legal and you just want to cause you like it. I've carried a handgun a folder and often a fixed blade everywhere everyday for over half my lifetime, know how many people I've confronted, threatened, or assaulted? None.

You don't have to have a reason to carry a knife or even a gun, it just has to be legal and you want too. Shouldn't even have to be legal in all honesty, you should be prosecuted for committing a crime, not before or based on an irrational fear.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  2. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I have no idea what a real court situation is like in the States, you mention the AG, is it just down to he/she to decide whether or not a knife is legal or say a jury of several people??

I don't doubt that a lot of cops interpretation of the law is skewed or lacking in the finer details, they are not lawyers after all.
    For us squeaky clean law abiding citizens, being arrested is something we'd like to avoid in the first place even if the final decision about the item comes down to a jury or judge.

3. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

No, the AG interprets the law as it is written and decides if charges fit within those specific guidelines.
    I'm not saying a cop can't arrest you due to their understanding of the law, they even file for charges when/if they book you.

You don't go in front of a jury just for being arrested, or just because charges are filed.

If/when you break the law, and if/when you face a jury regarding your charges (serious criminal charges, not for carrying a knife), they still have to base their decision on the law, not willy nilly because they feel like it.

4. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

I'm not trying to play internet lawyer, I would hire one just as fast or likely faster than the next guy.

Follow the law and stay within your rights.

5. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

OK, let's say a cop arrested you over an assisted opener, he believes that it's an automatic/flick knife which are banned in the state you are in, how confident are you that it wouldn't go to a jury/judge to decide?

And if it did, what's the chances of it going in your favour?

Here in the UK I feel that there's zero chance, yes those knives do have their differences, us knife nuts know the finer details etc but a judge/jury will just focus on a blade springing out,....both result in the same thing happening.

6. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

You might see a judge but jury's aren't for that.
    If you defended yourself and if your justification wasn't clear then sure you'd see a jury. In my state we have zero knife laws, it's based solely on your criminal actions...like assaulting an innocent person or intention to without cause.

As far as the judge and your scenario in a less knife friendly state, that would depend on a lot of things. How the law is written, your case is presented, facts of intent, what you can prove as far as knife type, and the judge himself and so much more.

Personally if I'm witin my rights and know the law, I'm not really that worried. I've always tried to do what's right and I carry whatever I want as long as it's inside the law. If I ever have to pay then either society has failed worse than the obvious, or I REALLY screwed up.

I don't base my knife or handgun choice on if it looks "scary" or placid, it just has to fit within the law.

Moshe ben David and Todd21969 like this.
  7. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

WOW, that's refreshing to hear, why can't all the other states and countries for that matter adopt that sensible approach too.

Ethos likes this.
  8. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Without trying to sound like a SA, Because too many people are willing to give it up without a fight. Took lots of people, representatives, some knife rights groups, and some good explaining of people rights and the bill to get all of them repealed. They went back so far it even regarded the Bowie knife.
    Guess what, people aren't running around stabbing each other either. Lol

Water-Rat likes this.
  9. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I dunno if it's just down to cultural or size differences for example but I feel that the UK only has a small band of 'knife' people to start with, it will never out weigh the 'ban knives for the sake of our children' groups etc.:(

Ethos likes this.
  10. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

You're lucky Ethos. I happen to live in a state where in order to be legal, you have to have a valid reason to carry a knife and self defense isn't considered a valid reason.

Personally, I would much rather carry a smaller knife or no knife at all than be arrested at all. And that's why my "Karambit", more of a hawkbill shape, really, stays at home. I do love the blade shape and carry my little ladybug serrated hawkbill everywhere I legally can. But, then that isn't really useful for self defense and has a legitimate purpose for package opening and emergency self-rescue applications.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  11. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

You can still join AKTI as a start, how we fixed ours and I can send you the legislation via PM. I understand not wanting to get arrested, me either, but we've got to stop letting a few determine what's okay. SD is a born right, not a state authorized one. They protect the criminal which means they don't care about you.

I'm gonna stop before I get in trouble. :)